And today's grump is....

Bullbasket

On 7/24/2021 at 10:13 AM, bentwaters81tfw said:

Hemp is an interesting plant from it's makeup and uses, not to mention it's yield per acre.  Worth reading up on...

Hemp yields about six times the amount of paper as trees per acre. And grows back within the year.

Not to mention it was deemed a strategic good up to WWII, due to it being used to make canvas. Battles have been fought over hemp fields.

Of course, then DuPont quite successfully demonized hemp in order to push their invention nylon...

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 1

On 7/25/2021 at 4:15 PM, lasermonkey said:

Some pot-head has just driven in to the back of my wife's car.

That's about as stupid as drunk driving. And should be punishable by having your licence revoked for the rest of your life. And having your car impounded.

Cheers,

Andre

16 minutes ago, Hook said:

That's about as stupid as drunk driving. And should be punishable by having your licence revoked for the rest of your life. And having your car impounded.

Cheers,

Andre

And put in the stocks.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 593jones said:

And put in the stocks.  

I was thinking about public flogging, perhaps these two suggestions could be combined.

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hook said:

And should be punishable by having your licence revoked for the rest of your life. 

Chances are he won't have one in the first place. 

My grump for today... Idiot parent(s) who just stand there and watch their brattish off spring proceed to dismantle the flower heads in my front garden! Not even so much as an apology when i went out and politely but very firmly pointed out i do not plant flowers for her kids or anyone elses for that matter to pick at their whim 🤬 Mrs fatfingers had already nicely asked the mother not to let her child do this at the back end of last week! Boils my wee it does! 

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JohnT said:

Good news - they are doing a remake of "Rumpole of the Bailey".  A much loved comedy series with the late Leo McKern in the title role.  Last produced some thirty years ago a great characterisation of a well written story by a very decent author and man - John Mortimer.  Leo McKern epitomised the "Old Bailey Hack" barrister.  Wiley and street wise but enjoyed his cigars and port in the local pub and always in escapades with the judges not to mention his wife Hilda - "She who must be obeyed"..

Good news then.  But wait a minute - this is the  today's grump topic so where is the grump then?

Well you have probably guessed it.  Take a tv series or book the core essence of which is the title character who conforms to a particular type and I would argue is essential to the genre and "update" it.  I use the word "update" loosely.  Or at least that's how the new program makers describe it.

Yes the principal character may be changed from that so wonderfully described by John Mortimer in his books and portrayed on the small screen by Leo McKern into Ms Rumploe acted by Lily James (32) or Keeley Hawes (45).  Wholly different ages and while much more pleasing on the eye than the late Mr McKern as he would no doubt have conceded himself just  "Gonnae no dae that" as they say in Glasgow.  Just "Gonnae no"

Both ladies are admirable actresses.  Both deserve great scripts to act and yes there are not enough of them but I find this constant playing around with characters just horrid.  There are some roles that might enjoy a gender change but some are just not suited to that experiment IMHO.  Rumpole will always be an elderly gent with a very lived in face, cigar ash on his jacket, a healthy enjoyment of good drink in Pomeroys Bar and a gruff voice that falls foul of the judges that are irritated by him yet over whom he always prevails.  

I am pleased to say both ladies fail notably on all the immediately above qualifications to be a "Rumpole"  bar their acting ability and I hope they have the good sense to say the role is not for them.  Now Ian McKellen would do admirably if he is "resting"

Abso-bloody-lutely! Leo McKern was, and is, Rumpole. No-one will take his place. As a lawyer I had, and in retirement still have, great difficulty watching most law court dramas because of the multitude of basic things they keep getting wrong (like leading questions in evidence-in-chief ...), but Rumpole was one that I would always line up to watch.

• Like 2

We  just watched the equestrian events ( I wonder why? ) on the red buttons the last couple of times, but now that doesn’t seem to be an option. My opinion of the BBC just gets lower and lower, and it didn’t start from a very high point.

John

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Admiral Puff said:

Abso-bloody-lutely! Leo McKern was, and is, Rumpole. No-one will take his place. As a lawyer I had, and in retirement still have, great difficulty watching most law court dramas because of the multitude of basic things they keep getting wrong (like leading questions in evidence-in-chief ...), but Rumpole was one that I would always line up to watch.

Yep indeed.  I could always spot a few court contemporaries with similar traits myself.  Sadly all slowly going and being replaced by bright younger things with only 10% of the character but that's the modern world for you.  Same for judges too.  All too afraid of getting it wrong and being criticised for being outside the systems.

In that case you might try the novels by Jay Brandon from the USA.  As a practitioner in the courts myself I found his description of process and courts the most realistic of any legal fiction writer.  Available cheap on Amazon Kindle or second hand.

People who stand outside to take their phone calls and have their phone so loud, you can hear the person on the other end of the call! Not only that, the person making the call talks so loudly, you can hear them as well!

Diagonally opposite where we live (at the rear of our property) there seems to be two houses that has two young(ish) couples - I would say mid to late 20's or very early 30's. One of the two couples seems to take great delight in letting everyone else know what there personal business is when on the phone as they come outside, and make sure that their mobile phones are turned up as high as possible, out onto speaker phone, and then talk at the top of their voice so that everyone can hear their conversations! 

And for those in the UK, a bit like the old Dom Jolly sketch when he would have the ridiculously large prop phone in places like the train, or restaurant etc, and would shout at the top of his voice "I'm on the phone!"

It's extremely disturbing, and not very nice to hear your personal business being conducted at the top of your voice in the garden at 9:30 in the morning!

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, treker_ed said:

And for those in the UK, a bit like the old Dom Jolly sketch when he would have the ridiculously large prop phone in places like the train, or restaurant etc, and would shout at the top of his voice "I'm on the phone!"

Trigger Happy TV - used to love that show! :D 

51 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Wanted: hand-held device to jam such devices, and car audios played at full volume through open windows to advertise their owners' lack of taste in music.

I think they open the windows to let all the nasty horrible noise out!

Q

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Wanted: hand-held device to jam such devices, and car audios played at full volume through open windows to advertise their owners' lack of taste in music.

The volume of the music is almost always inversely proportional to the quality.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

That'd come in handy at supermarkets as well....

• Like 1

On 7/26/2021 at 5:48 PM, Graham Boak said:

However the rights were sold off en masse to Discovery (i.e. Eurosport) with the restriction that free-to-air could only use two streams.

Drat. 

So that's the reason I can't follow the Rugby 7s this time. 

Booo. hiss.

• Like 1

North Norfolk seems to have obtained a job lot of Road Closed and Diversion signs.

They've apparently scattered them at random on quite a few minor roads.

It took forty minutes to travel 20 miles thanks to Diversions that took me to other closed roads, or that just ran out of Diversion signs.

Maybe the locals know where they are going, but I was very much not impressed this morning.

It was also apparent that they think Hitler still might invade, there is a definite lack of signposts out there!

• Haha 10

Delivery of junk mail by the Royal Mail!

Or in fact all junk mail or unwanted mail full stop! Anything that does not have our address on just goes straight into the recycling - horrible waste of resources and time!

The Royal Mail has a system called the Red List, you apply to be on it and they are supposed to put an annotation on your address to stop ALL non-addressed junk mail deliveries to your property. basic premise is they will put a note on the sorting frame by which no junk mail will be sorted into your address. Stuff like Dominos flyers, take-away menus etc. We are supposed to on that list, and in fact since we have been on it, the amount of junk we have received has cut down by about 99%. The only stuff we get through the door is from the door to door marketing flyers that local take-aways will push through. However, we also have in the door window a notice advising no cold callers, flyers, menus etc. And even this seems (most of the time) to work. So I would say we avoid 99.5 % of the junk most households receive.

Until the last few days.

Seems a new postie has taken on the round, and is ignoring the Red List information and has started to dump junk mail through our letterbox. Managed to catch him today, and handed the junk back to him with a flea in his ear telling him we are on the red list, please respect this and do not post junk to our house. His response "only doing what I'm told!" Yes, and the red list TELLS you NOT to post junk to our address..... He did not seem a happy chap at being told about the error of his ways!

• Like 3

Last night and this morning, Royal Mail e-mailed and texted me the following:

We've received your parcel from Jadlam Racing. Delivery is due:

Friday, 30 July 2021*

Between

08:42am and 12:42pm*

We won't need a signature.

It arrived at 15.15

Why do they bother

• Like 1

I've got a delivery coming from Airfix. 

Normally the email advising of the despatch is not received with trepidation, as the DPD delivery team (bar one or two exceptions) are usually quite good and efficient. However, todays was received with dread.

The link took me to a Hermes Parcel tracking site...... I wonder how many pieces of plastic I will be finding in the boxes!!!!

(mind you, the Hermes driver in my area, probably have a 60% success rate.......... Of delivering to the wrong house)

• Sad 1

On 7/27/2021 at 11:54 AM, Graham Boak said:

RPG-7  ?   :)

• Haha 6

People who go through the 12 items or less isle at the grocery store who have a huge trolley full of stuff. I literally had bread and milk today and no, look at that, people with trolley loads going to the 12 items isle because its moving faster.

I've lost all hope for humanity at this stage, bring on the meteor and end it all.

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, Brad said:

People who go through the 12 items or less isle at the grocery store who have a huge trolley full of stuff. I literally had bread and milk today and no, look at that, people with trolley loads going to the 12 items isle because its moving faster.

I know that sentiment very well. My local Coles store( one of six in postcode 4350 ) has a single quick 12 items register that I use most of the time as most of my transactions have less than twelve items. But even the staff don't regulate the rules on that lane, which is a shame !