And today's grump is....

Bullbasket

I have to agree. Over the past decade or so the BBC's "news" has become utterly parochial. Very rarely do we see news from beyond the UK - England, even! - and when we do it’s soon forgotten again.

As someone that does pay a licence fee, it’s frustrating, even allowing for all the other excellent content Auntie pumps out.

• Like 2

I gave up watching the news some time ago. If anything important happens, someone will probably tell me about it. 

Should I want to know about sport (which I don't) there must be sports channels out there?

My Wife now watches GBN. Which seems to consist of people wittering on about nothing much, or asking other people, 'what do you think should happen?'

8 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

there must be sports channels out there?

Yes, there are. But sadly, at the moment, they're called BBC1, BBC2 and ITV.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Yes, there are. But sadly, at the moment, they're called BBC1, BBC2 and ITV.

Here’s a thought. Everyone in the UK has digital tv now, so there is no reason why wall to wall sport can’t be shown on BBC4 and ITV2, 3 or 4. Just have regular reminders for the hard of learning. BBC4 doesn’t even get switched on until the evening anyway, so that’s a whole channel going begging for most of the day.

Or am I missing something?

Trevor

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Max Headroom said:

Here’s a thought. Everyone in the UK has digital tv now, so there is no reason why wall to wall sport can’t be shown on BBC4 and ITV2, 3 or 4. Just have regular reminders for the hard of learning. BBC4 doesn’t even get switched on until the evening anyway, so that’s a whole channel going begging for most of the day.

Trevor

Tbh i don't think it would be worth ITV or the Beeb setting up a sports only channel,Sky has so much sport under their control (the reason ITV 4 show Tour De France is it's shown by BTSport) they just wouldn't have enough but one thing i wouldn't say no to though is an ITV channel for live sport and when it's no being used it can show some of their archive like World of Sport/Big Match etc....

2 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Not a cycling fan then John? ( @Bullbasket ). 😀

No, not especially, but it wouldn't worry me to see some coverage on TV (yes I know that it's shown on ITV4. ) But what does my head in is the wall to wall coverage of any sport. BBC virtually shuts down at this time of the year because of the tennis.

John.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Trevor

And that's without the Red button that the Beeb use to show different tennis matches. As many as six in the past.

John.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

And that's without the Red button that the Beeb use to show different tennis matches. As many as six in the past.

John.

Exactly, so there is no need to swamp the main channel all the time.

Trevor

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Exactly, so there is no need to swamp the main channel all the time.

Trevor

It goes even further than that. 

Last night for example, some football match (disclaimer, I like football!) was on BBC1 and ITV. It was also on BBC Radio Five Live. So, anybody who wanted to follow it already had those options (along with the BBC Red Button for the BBC tv coverage and Radio commentary), so as an escape, why don't I go and listen to my local BBC radio station and hear some music instead? Cos the Football is on there too!

WHY???

If I wanted it, the other options are there, so give those who are not interested a break, PLEASE! 

Ray

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ray S said:

It goes even further than that. 

Last night for example, some football match (disclaimer, I like football!) was on BBC1 and ITV. It was also on BBC Radio Five Live. So, anybody who wanted to follow it already had those options (along with the BBC Red Button for the BBC tv coverage and Radio commentary), so as an escape, why don't I go and listen to my local BBC radio station and hear some music instead? Cos the Football is on there too!

WHY???

If I wanted it, the other options are there, so give those who are not interested a break, PLEASE! 

Ray

I left the sceptred Isles 25 years ago. It's good to see that the Bat and Ball Club still exists....

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, lasermonkey said:

Model kit prices. I’m kinda getting sick of it, to be honest.

And for the moment it's sadly only going to get worse.

Container and shipping prices are literally through the roof at the moment. From what I have been reading, they seem to have increased, in some cases, almost 300% since last year. In one case I read, last year a company was paying around £3-£5000 per container, this year they expect to pay a minimum of £15000 per container. Those costs have to be passed on. Some imports may not even be worth stocking due to the costs of shipping let alone any other costs involved. Cost of crude oil per barrel is at an 8 year high. A report on the BBC was quoting the AA and RAC, both organisations are stating that the current cost of fuel in the UK is at the highest seen since 2013. The cost of crude oil at the moment is at $70 per barrel. As the plastic modellers use is a hydrocarbon based product, we are at the mercy of the base cost of the raw materials - they go up, the cost of our hobby goes up. Add into the mix the shipping costs and sadly you have a perfect storm! Companies cannot continue to absorb the significant increases in costs of all these items, they must pass on the costs to stay afloat.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Just flies generally. It’s really bad here, probably made worse by the high humidity. We seem to have a predominance of the biting variety, it’s got to the stage where one of our horses prefers to stay in the stable when they are about.

John

• Like 2

Horseflies aren't too bad at work so far this season, touch wood. Horrible things. Easy to kill but easy not to notice they've bitten you. The first time I got bit my forearm swelled up to Popeye proportions. I didn't whine or make a fuss at all.😳😀

• Haha 1

I made the mistake of looking at the reactions on a satirical newspost (Think The Onion) on the once-a-month-Farcebook check time.

An obvious prank newsitem, 21K reactions of which the majority have NOT pegged on to the (pretty obvious) fact it's a prank.

People pointing that out getting abuse over it... 

There is no hope for humanity.  

Oh well, back to modelling :D 

• Sad 1

Photo etched detail sets, in particular, the Eduard set for the Airfix 1/72 Mosquito. Admittedly, it’s one of their earlier efforts, but nothing fits, looks like the real thing and the *really* useful bits, such as the radio boxes, aren’t even included! The instructions are dire and should be replaced by “Throw the set away and build it from scratch. It’ll look better and you’ll be less stressed out.”

• Like 1

This is making me grumpy, just seen one of those adverts for people who bought or leased Diesel cars and them nor being as clean as they thought, why would buy a Diesel car for it's cleanliness??? 

They are and always have been dirty horrible things ?

Why should they get money back off the manufacturers and line their own and the claims companies pockets, when it affected everyone and should be going to some green projects. 

Sorry but this is really making me angry.

Although I feel better now

Chris

• Like 5