And today's grump is....

Bullbasket

Still having problems with our neighbour with regard to getting a new fence and repairs. Why have people got to be so difficult to work with? They cancelled our fencer, told us they wanted to organise someone else, then had 3 fencers refuse the job and another back out, they finally found someone to clean up their mess but he did a no show as well. They asked us to let this bloke in our side of the property because we were in a lockdown due to the virus, which was fine, but since he didn't turn up, mum msged the neighbour letting them know that we aren't always at home now and they might need to unlock their gate for access and the neighbour turned nasty.

They now have 1 month left before the settlement of the house and we no longer care if the sale falls through because they didn't carry out the required repairs and replacement.

• Sad 2

Zanussi oven door seal saga part whatever.....

It's been a week or so since I fitted the new seal. There was some heat leakage as it was thicker than the old one.

Her indoors noticed yesterday that a bit of Formica on an adjoining cupboard panel has started to melt!

An inspection this morning showed an extra 'bead' on the outer face of this seal. The previous (original) seal being flatter.

I fitted a curved blade to a Swan Morton handle and trimmed off the extra bead. Result, the door closes better, and no apparent heat loss.

Now I just have to repair the damaged Formica. Probably Milliput and spraypaint!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Ordered a model diorama accessory from the USA last month it was sent fully tracked all the way successfully till it left Holland on May 11 then that’s the last I have heard ( regular email updates from USPS  until then ) .

no idea if it’s customs or brexit red tape that caused it .

lesson learned -now buying from uk suppliers full time regardless of price 

anyone else had had serious delays over the last year ..?

• Sad 1

@73north If you have a tracking number, check on ParcelMonitor. They seem to have the best handle on stuff.

Yes I have had stuff disappear off the face of the planet for weeks, but they always turn up. Had one take 9 weeks from Helsinki to UK.

A month + AWOL from USA is common.

• Like 1

Thanks "....will try that 

annoying though it is -

I ended up buying from models supplies limited in Surrey and it arrived in a few days "... after being out of stock last month in the UK .

things are just ridiculous with shipping delays now 

• Like 1

Totally agree on the dog thing. Particularly around kids - not long ago a friend of my daughter's broke her wrist when she was knocked over by a big (compared to her) dog that was "just being friendly". Nobody realised she was actually injured at the time, but even so, dog owners should also take note that a reaction along the lines of the dogs were just being friendly I can't see what the fuss is about really doesn't help the distraught kid or her parents!

• Like 2

On 10/06/2021 at 12:14, Vince1159 said:

That's one thing that drives me mad about dogs the way they jump up and start licking your face, they might've been washing their nuts for crying out loud....

Shouldn't be a problem if you wash your face before you let the dog lick it.

• Haha 10

2 hours ago, Beermonster1958 said:

...............came from Cologne from where they were flown to Coventry, flown to Edinburgh and then taken by courier to my home address.

Vat 69 whisky, blended 3 miles from where I live is produced solely for export

Appears mad, doesn't it. BUT! you knew there was going to be one..........as Vat 69 is bottled for 'export' that's the reason you can't just take a gentle, three mile stroll,

and pick up a couple of bottles at the factory gates. It's to do with duty or more specificaly HMRC. For export, the duty is either very low or nil. Still daft though!

• Confused 1

I don't think this particular gripe Is on here but what really gets me going is when newspapers describe somewhere as say Heathrow Airport West London,when its in Middlesex! Yes it is West OF London,It's just so lazy it's nowhere near Marble Arch which is in London. They do this all around the South East area. There's one today where someone was attacked in the street,it's Southall in Middlesex so they decide to call it the suburban district of Southall in Ealing West London! Grrr........Chris.

4 minutes ago, Kitkent said:

Yes it is West OF London,It's just so lazy it's nowhere near Marble Arch which is in London.

Well, actually…

After a Royal Commission on Local Government in Greater London, almost all of the area of the historic county of Middlesex was incorporated into Greater London in 1965, with the rest included in neighbouring administrative counties.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middlesex

I agree with your sentiment, though. I live in Kent, and find it very frustrating that Bromley and Bexley are London Boroughs. Orpington is teetering, too. They’re in Kent! I was born in Surrey, and it annoys the heck out of me that Surrey's county town is the London Royal Borough of Kingston. I mean, what the hell‽ 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Kitkent said:

I don't think this particular gripe Is on here but what really gets me going is when newspapers describe somewhere as say Heathrow Airport West London,when its in Middlesex! Yes it is West OF London,It's just so lazy it's nowhere near Marble Arch which is in London. They do this all around the South East area. There's one today where someone was attacked in the street,it's Southall in Middlesex so they decide to call it the suburban district of Southall in Ealing West London! Grrr........Chris.

Oddly, I have the exact opposite grump: people claiming that places which *are* in London (Heathrow, Biggin Hill, Croydon, Sutton, Kingston, Bromley, Orpington, etc.) aren't. As Heather posted above, it all changed in 1965. People often go on about 'postal addresses' (which are meaningless). What counts is this: is it in a London Borough? Do you vote for the London Mayor/GLA/etc.? When you call 999 is the Met/LFB/LAS which turn up? Who do you pay council tax too? Historic boundaries from decades ago are rather irrelevant, like trying to live by 19th century European boundaries.

I do share Heather's annoyance that Kingston is the county town of Surrey.

I grew up near Guildford, live in Croydon within eyesight of Biggin Hill (Bromley), and as a traffic cop in Surrey, know exactly where the borders between London and Surrey are - it matters!

Jon

• Like 2

I realise about the Greater London boroughs etc. But I just find it lazy and misleading journalism,we do still have counties in my mind they haven't completely disappeared yet! Either Boris or Sadiq Khan wanted the Greater London area to extend I think to the coast,including the whole of Kent and Essex. I now live in Gravesend after moving from Orpington,so I lost my free rail travel in the London area- it stops at Dartford. Chris

21 minutes ago, Kitkent said:

Either Boris or Sadiq Khan wanted the Greater London area to extend I think to the coast,including the whole of Kent and Essex

I think that was a TfL idea, to bring north Kent railways under their wing. Cheeky, I thought.

I treat London like the blot on the landscape it’s become. I hate it, lumpen great thing, getting in the way whenever I want to go anywhere else in the country. It’s one of the reasons I harbour a dream of upping sticks from where I am and moving as far north as I can!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Kitkent said:

I realise about the Greater London boroughs etc. But I just find it lazy and misleading journalism,we do still have counties in my mind they haven't completely disappeared yet! Either Boris or Sadiq Khan wanted the Greater London area to extend I think to the coast,including the whole of Kent and Essex. I now live in Gravesend after moving from Orpington,so I lost my free rail travel in the London area- it stops at Dartford. Chris

I don't see what's lazy about it. It's factually correct. Middlesex doesn't exist in any meaningful sense anymore. Of course we still have counties, but their boundaries changed nearly 60 years ago...

It makes sense that you lost your free rail travel because you moved from London to Kent.

Jon

I'll throw you a googly; from about 1180 Middlesex, the county, came under the shrievalty of the Sheriff for London and the Mayors of London and leaders of the Guilds ruled over the county. It was the only county which came under their jurisdiction

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

. .  . It’s one of the reasons I harbour a dream of upping sticks from where I am and moving as far north as I can!

Move to N.I.

Cheap living; no poll tax, no water charges. Same Tesco / ASDA / Lidl / and most others. Just no Morrisons or Aldi

Less traffic. Everywhere within 50 miles of a seaside, 10 miles to forest parks. Milder weather.  I was sitting at traffic lights in the centre of Belfast the other day, I looked to my left up a side street, just beyond it I could see the green fields of the Castlereagh hills and in front of me I could see Divis Mountain

House prices less, rents cheaper.

I pay £69 a month for my 2-bed flat, my daughter will be going to live near her Uni in Aberdeen in September, one room, ensuite, is going to cost her £138 per week!

Your £££ goes further here

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

Move to N.I.

Something I've seriously considered. My folks live in Bangor, so know the area well and from the sale of my house in Southampton I could get a very nice property near, if not overlooking the sea. For me the main drawback is the weather ... not so much that it is colder, windier and significantly wetter than where I am now, but the looong dark nights in winter. 

Since Brexit there is also the issue of possible political instability to consider as well.

Cheers

Colin

• Like 1

Many moons ago I stayed at a friend’s house in a village in Rutland. At this time Rutland had disappeared off the map and had been swallowed up by Leicestershire. Just outside the village was a sign saying Welcome to Leicestershire. Mere yards behind it was an equally official sign (funded by locals) saying Welcome to Rutland. These were removed regularly and equally as quickly replaced by the Rutlandites. I’ve got photographic evidence somewhere!

Fast forward a number of years and Rutland is back 😁

Trevor

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, ckw said:

Since Brexit there is also the issue of possible political instability to consider as well.

Keeping deep Politics out of it; that doesn't really affect us real mortals, its betwixt them uns up the hill

Oh, I forgot.

If you have a car. MOT is from 4th year on. 

A wee trick some people do is get a cheap near 3 year old car in GB and run it till its 4th anniversary then sell it on.

Many in GB sell a near 3 year old car cheap rather than fork out for repairs for its MOT

No.1 son buys car this way for his business

• Like 1

Last week I was away for a much needed break in the countryside. We had had to try different accommodation from usual, as the owners of that place were taking time out for various reasons. Anyway, we arrived and although the property looked nice at first glance, it was soon evident that it needed some TLC. Some of it was minor and could be easily overlooked, some wasn't. There was no Covid check-in, which is a legal requirement. Naughty.

When we arrived at 17.15 hrs, I noticed that the oven clock was showing 10.45 or thereabouts. No biggie. Later that night, we became aware of a beeping noise that we eventually traced to the oven. After a few button presses, the beeping stopped, but I noticed that the clock was now showing 00.00. Weird. The next day, the beeping happened again, with the clock showing 00.00. As time went on, the period between the beeping became shorter and shorter, until it was just approx. three minutes. I had managed to find the instructions for the oven online (they weren't amongst the various appliance instructions in the house) and had re-programmed the clock, but it seemed that the clock was losing its setting, which resulted in the oven thinking that the auto-timer-off had triggered. Of course, this meant that, along with the infernal beeping, the oven and grill would switch off. Having an oven that switches itself off every three minutes meant that it was unusable.

This may have been caused by the constant brown-outs. I have no idea what was causing it, but the power was dipping periodically and regularly and was quite apparent at night, when the lights were on.

Worst of all though was the awful, chemical smell which greeted us upon arrival and got worse as time went on. We eventually realised it was coming from the small oil-fired boiler in the kitchen. It wasn't so noticeable in the living room, which was upstairs, but spending any time downstairs resulted in headaches and feeling nauseous. The bedrooms were also downstairs and if we forgot to close the doors, the awful fumes would get in. We ended up coming home early as we couldn't hack it any more.

The management company gave us half our money back immediately, which was surprising. I can only imagine that they must be concerned about what we do next.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Black Knight said:

Keeping deep Politics out of it; that doesn't really affect us real mortals, its betwixt them uns up the hill

Oh, I forgot.

If you have a car. MOT is from 4th year on. 

A wee trick some people do is get a cheap near 3 year old car in GB and run it till its 4th anniversary then sell it on.

Many in GB sell a near 3 year old car cheap rather than fork out for repairs for its MOT

No.1 son buys car this way for his business

Many (most?) cars in the UK are now on these lease or PCP deals and you hand them back after three years. So there will be a lot of 08 and 18 plate cars coming to the market with only two years worth of mileage on them because of the rona. My little shopping trolly amassed a staggering 700 miles between MOT tests in the last 12 months 🤣

Trevor Molehusband

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Max Headroom said:

Many (most?) cars in the UK are now on these lease or PCP deals and you hand them back after three years. So there will be a lot of 08 and 18 plate cars coming to the market with only two years worth of mileage on them because of the rona. My little shopping trolly amassed a staggering 700 miles between MOT tests in the last 12 months 🤣

Trevor Molehusband

Thing is, they don't come on the market. They get holed up at places like Brunty to prevent flooding the market and killing the prices. They will all go in a couple of years if this silly electric farce carries on. People will be wanting good low mileage petrol and diesel cars.

• Like 2