And today's grump is....

Bullbasket

1 hour ago, lasermonkey said:

What kind of *expletives deleted* would design an operating system that restarts your computer without giving you the option to stop it? That’s right, the twonks at Microsoft. Right in the middle of me having to type out an operating manual.

Every time I have to use a PC, my stress levels go through the roof and I end up wanting to go on a killing spree. Funnily enough, that never happens when I use my Mac.

I do not have the vocabulary to describe how much I despise PCs and Microsoft products.

Old joke: Why is an air conditioner like a PC? Because they're both useless when you open windows ...

• Haha 9

2 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

What kind of *expletives deleted* would design an operating system that restarts your computer without giving you the option to stop it? That’s right, the twonks at Microsoft. Right in the middle of me having to type out an operating manual.

Every time I have to use a PC, my stress levels go through the roof and I end up wanting to go on a killing spree. Funnily enough, that never happens when I use my Mac.

I do not have the vocabulary to describe how much I despise PCs and Microsoft products.

You don't state what version of Windows you are using here, the most up to date version of Windows 10, May 2021 update, or even an older version of Windows, 8 or 7, but I am running the Windows 10 Pro with the latest update, and I have to say the this has never happened with me. It pops up in the system tray that it needs to do a restart, and when I look at the update info, I can schedule to restart to activate when I want it - usually when I'm shutting down my PC. Are you running Windows 10 Home? But even the wife's laptop does not do that after an update, and that's running windows 10 Home - but I do make sure it is running on the latest update schedule.

9 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

Just my take, but maybe people should  stop using all those so-called tweaks and tools & guides that claim to do updates better than Microsoft could?

I can guarantee you those do more harm than that they bring benefits. 

Nearly OOB settings - only thing I did was set active hours, and switch on the 'bug me' setting. 

y4mJ92YMD4Zl_VSCgSIOt4_Z3eswnSUwZMaegqyB

Bug me = Show notification. 
Notice that the default is NOT to restart ASAP. 

y4mWSQ26RrcJg59LsqngzJUhKoRtxXFRw-2bhY6M

Both my laptop, and swmbo's desktop have Windows 10. My updates come through and are (usually) OK. There have been one or two occasions when I've had to get my techy to get rid of unnecessary add ons that are slowing it down, but on the whole, not bad. The desktop, on the other hand, is a different story. Every single update that comes through, takes hours. And then, as soon as it's finished,, it starts to remove it, which again takes a couple of hours. I don't know if it's a glitch with Microsoft or the desktop. BUT, the last one loaded OK and stayed there. As our Trans Atlantic cousins would say, go figure!

John.

. . . . .and today's and every day's grump - people who do not read what is written in or even the main point or question of a forum thread

I'm on a forum for leatherworkers

A holster maker posts that he has client who wants a custom holster made. 

The OP says he hasn't the time to make it so he's offering the job to other leatherworkers, especially any who aren't too far from him

So far the OP has received about 40 responses

Out of those 40 only about 3 are enquiring about the job 

. . . . and the rest? The other 37?

They are all telling the OP where he can get a custom holster made and the latest posting this a.m. actually directs the OP to enquire of getting the custom holster made by . . . . . the OP!!

• Haha 9
  • Sad 1

On 6/8/2021 at 9:32 AM, treker_ed said:

The number of depots my parcel from Hannants has had to go through before arriving at the local depot for delivery!

Collected from Lowestoft

Taken to Norwich

Taken to Cambridge

Taken to Hatfield (South East Regional Parcelforce Hub)

Taken to Milton Keynes

Out for delivery

Mind boggles at the number of miles travelled (just based on travelling from depot to depot) - 164 miles! Soon stacks up to a lot of mileage that our parcels are doing, especially when they do silly thing like taking them to regional hubs which are miles out of the way!

Got another parcel on the way from Hannants (replace some wheels on a BF 108 Taifun). This time more sensible journey:

Collected from Lowestoft

Norwich Mail Centre

Northampton Mail Centre

Bletchley Distribution Office

Out for delivery!

more or less straight route from Lowestoft to me! No diversions to regional centres to hubs just A to B to C!

On 6/9/2021 at 7:51 AM, alt-92 said:

Just my take, but maybe people should  stop using all those so-called tweaks and tools & guides that claim to do updates better than Microsoft could?

I can guarantee you those do more harm than that they bring benefits. 

Nearly OOB settings - only thing I did was set active hours, and switch on the 'bug me' setting. 

y4mJ92YMD4Zl_VSCgSIOt4_Z3eswnSUwZMaegqyB

Bug me = Show notification. 
Notice that the default is NOT to restart ASAP. 

y4mWSQ26RrcJg59LsqngzJUhKoRtxXFRw-2bhY6M

Not entirely sure what you're getting at here, but we certainly don't have any third-party OS tools on the PC. I very rarely use it, as my wife does all the artwork and spreadsheet stuff for my small business. I just type out the instruction manuals. But my point was that why would you have a restart pop up with absolutely no way to stop it when it happens? It ended up adding another thirty minutes to my working day (it was around 10.30 at night, so not particularly welcome!).

It's been a long time since I had to use a PC on a daily basis, but I don't miss it one bit. My Mac, on the other hand, is a joy to use, even though it's going to be twelve years old this year.

On 08/06/2021 at 22:26, lasermonkey said:

Happened to me yesterday - on a stock, recently rebuilt PC, completely free of 3rd party enhancements and tweaks AND with everything set to prevent surprises. Not only did my PC perform an 'uncommanded restart' - it also crashed. Repeatedly. I eventually solved the problem by removing Cloudpager (an app used by thousands of organisations). On the plus side I now have a pretty little weather icon on my task bar saving me having to look out the window. Is it just a coincidence that this forced update promotes links to revenue generating content?

Cheers

Colin

On 6/8/2021 at 6:32 PM, treker_ed said:

The number of depots my parcel from Hannants has had to go through before arriving at the local depot for delivery!

Collected from Lowestoft

Taken to Norwich

Taken to Cambridge

Taken to Hatfield (South East Regional Parcelforce Hub)

Taken to Milton Keynes

Out for delivery

Mind boggles at the number of miles travelled (just based on travelling from depot to depot) - 164 miles! Soon stacks up to a lot of mileage that our parcels are doing, especially when they do silly thing like taking them to regional hubs which are miles out of the way!

Could be worse - when things go the long way round in Australia, they really go the long way round! I ordered something from Amazon Australia a year or two ago, supposedly two day delivery. It was shipped from the Amazon warehouse in Dandenong, 55km away. It made it to a post office a couple of km from me. Somehow its next stop was in Welshpool, Western Australia, 3,402km away. It turned up at my door after a round trip of approximately 6,850km that took 10 days.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

Not entirely sure what you're getting at here

You can use the screenshots if you want to check & change the current behaviour to something that gives you more warning and control. 

• Thanks 1

People who take such exception to you asking them to call their dog back that they want to fight you.

We'd seen the guy and the dog coming, so we found the widest point in the path, moved to one side and stood sideways-on. Mostly, dogs seem to ignore us when we do that, but this time the very excited German shepherd was bounding around, bouncing off us. It was obvious we were both in some distress, but we tried to ask as calmly as possible for him to help. This didn't go down at all well, as, apparently, we should have got out of the way (I thought we already had) and that we weren't actually frightened of dogs at all, we just wanted an argument. Explaining that we didn't want an argument, we just wanted him to control his dog just seemed to make him even more angry. Only when I said that I'd call the police if he took another step forward did he leave.

Most of the time, we find that people will put their dogs on a lead if they see someone else coming, or at least have the dog under some control. Sometimes we have to ask and more often than not, they'll begrudgingly  to do so but owners should note that not everyone will be happy to see your dog, especially if it comes running over. It's very hard to be polite, calm and rational when you're under a great deal of stress, even though we do try. So I ask all the dog owners here,  when you're out with your beloved pooch, please assume that the other people you encounter are not good with dogs. Those that are will always make themselves known and those that aren't will be eternally grateful.

Edited by lasermonkey
Typo. A rather unfortunate typo.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sadly, I no longer have any dogs, but the last two that I had were wonderful (well, I thought so). The retriever would be more likely to lick you to death as he was friendly to a fault. The chocolate lab on the other hand was friendly unless you had a dog with you. I live in open countryside, and was able to walk them off of the lead, but if I saw anyone coming towards us on the track, they would immediately be put on the lead as it's always better to be safe than sorry.

John.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bullbasket said:

The retriever would be more likely to lick you to death

That's one thing that drives me mad about dogs the way they jump up and start licking your face,they might've been washing their nuts for crying out loud....

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

6 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

People who take such exception to you asking them to call their dog back that they want to fight you.

We'd seen the guy and the dong coming

I hope that was a Freudian slip! Made me laugh though...

Ray

PS, I also have issues with dogs loose and not called to heal or put back on their lead when they get near me. Especially after an incident with one that almost cost me the ability to have an heir. 

4 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

That's one thing that drives me mad about dogs the way they jump up and start licking your face,they might've been washing their nuts for crying out loud....

.. no "might"  about it ....  :poop::dog:

• Like 1

On 6/7/2021 at 9:18 PM, IanHx said:

I'm sorry, but its just not a streaker if a policeman's helmet doesn't have to be strategically positioned !!!

Ah, Erica and her Roes....an adolescents dream!

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Ray S said:

I hope that was a Freudian slip! Made me laugh though...

Ray

PS, I also have issues with dogs loose and not called to heal or put back on their lead when they get near me. Especially after an incident with one that almost cost me the ability to have an heir. 

Oops! Thanks for pointing that out.

Ive been bitten by three dogs so far, and have had countless others go for me. The first dog took a chunk out of my knee, just after I was told he was “just being friendly.” I believe the father of the family took the dog to the vets that evening, as it was never seen again. The other two times I was cycling. One got away with it, the other came off a little worse.

I’m not massively keen on them, it has to be said.

5 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

That must have awfully big dogs or very small people on Guernsey :D

Actually licking nuts is the least of the worry. It’s the other bits they lick 👅 

More seriously we always lead walk our 2 German Shepherds. We are conscious that the sight of us and two big dogs can make people nervous.  Well you’ve not seen Mrs T.  Responsible dog owners do think of others but like all walks of life there are complete idiots who don’t 

One nice story is a guy who was working on our house was scared of German shepherds. On the second day he made the big mistake of trying to get distance from our boy by picking up and throwing his ball across the field where the house is going up. He had a new job for the rest of the day and a new best friend. He’s not afraid of a certain dog any more who has adopted him as new family

• Haha 4

When we first bought our house, it had no central heating, so we got this bloke in to install it. Our chocolate lab was a real people person. He just hated other dogs. One day when the heating installer was working upstairs, Jasper (the lab) couldn't be found. I went upstairs into the room that the engineer was working in, and he was lying prone on the floor, connecting the pipework, and there was Jasper, lying across the engineers legs.....supervising!

John.

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, fatfingers said:

Car retailers who use kids in their tv adverts!! Why??? Last i heard you had to be 17 to drive in the UK 🤬

Regards,

Steve

"buy this car or the kid asks if we're nearly there yet"

• Like 1
  • Haha 5