And today's grump is....

Bullbasket

People visiting neighbours, who have room on their driveway or even better yet, there are empty visitor parking bays available - but insist on parking outside your house and not the house they are visiting, creating a massive problem by blocking the view down the road when trying to exit your driveway!

We have been fighting this issue for years with one of the previous residents who was running a HMO (House in Multiple Occupation). four bedroom house, with 5 residents who all had a car, and only space for 2 cars. They thankfully moved on, and we thought that this would stop. Nope. The son of the family opposite has got himself a girlfriend who has been staying overnight regularly since March 23rd (despite the covid regulations in place at the time expressly forbidding any domestic overnight stays!). Who has decided that, despite available parking in the area, that she will plonk her large Avensis estate car outside our house. Not only that it's on a blind bend, that you are unable to see what's coming in the opposite direction until you are on the bend, so pulling out and round and her car causes a lot of problems. This was one of the issues we had with the previous owners of the other property, and did cause an accident on one occasion, which I happened to witness. The other problem with her parking the car where she does, it blocks the line of site for us when exiting our driveway, we cannot see any cars coming along the road towards us. Again this is one of the reasons we fought so hard to get the other residents not to park there. Eventually we did get them to see sense and stop parking there. What is making it worse, is that the family concerned, were just as angry about them parking where they did as it was opposite their driveway which caused them problems for reversing out! So talk about being two faced! This evening, they both arrived in both cars (his and hers), she announced her arrival with ear splitting loud music! He just pulled up on to the driveway! Why not just use one car, why two! 

Completely cheesed off with the whole situation! At the moment we are back to a situation where they have too many cars for not enough parking - 5 cars, and only 3 parking spaces for the household. They have already taken over one visitors space as their own on a permanent basis. They swap cars over to make sure they always have a car parked in it!

Edited by treker_ed
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

57 minutes ago, Vince1159 said:

Can't you see if the council or whoever can put a yellow line outside you place if they realized that it was dangerous....

Ongoing development, so has not been adopted by the local authority yet, so the roads are the responsibility of the developer. We have no idea of any timescale when the road will become adopted.

(For those BM members not  familiar with the process, when a house builder such as Bovis, or Taylor Wimpey build a housing development, the roads once completed are handed to the local council in a process called "adoption". The council then becomes responsible for upkeep of the common areas. This process can take years. Our road has been completed about 4 or 5, and no sign of being adopted yet. Until then then developer is liable for all upkeep, repairing street lights, cutting grass, repairs etc.)

• Like 1

Painting a 1/72 figure at the modelling bench last night, had figure in a holder to make it easier. 

Figure drops from the holder whilst painting  it, and on my large (approx 2 square metre area) workbench scored a hole in one in to the one and only  open can of humbrol paint.............!

It was a case of me saying Oh dear.......................................Or words to that effect! 

Also learnt new skill, fishing with tweezers!

Selwyn

(slightly paint stained)

• Haha 8
  • Sad 2

Nice to see that Aunty Beeb still gets it priorities right on the news. Couple of days ago, big long (and often repeated) story about the Friends reunion. Conversely, not a mention about the person in the States who shot 7 or 8 former co workers before turning the gun on himself. It would be interesting to know how decisions are made as to what's newsworthy and what's not.

John.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

It would be interesting to know how decisions are made as to what's newsworthy and what's not.

Talking of which yesterday they interviewd someone that was going to attempt to swim from Drakes Island,do you know if he succeded i haven't heard a thing since....

Edited by Vince1159

2 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

Talking of which yesterday they interviewd someone that was going to attempt to swim from Drakes Island,do you know if he succeded i haven't heard a thing since....

I take it that you are referring to the Royal Marine who was going to swim across Plymouth Sound. He completed it, even though he'd lost both legs and one arm in an explosion in Afghanistan. He was accompanied by Sharon Davies and MP Johnny Mercer amongst others. The man is a legend.

John. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Vince1159 said:

Thanks John i knew he was ex-forces but couldn't remember,he is a legend....

Apparently, he's not done yet. I think I heard one of his team say that he intends to do a bike marathon. Something in excess of 100 miles.

John.

• Like 1

It’s a glorious day today, so the Mrs and I decided to go for a walk in the countryside, mainly to look for damselflies. Wasn’t prepared for the kids playing mummies and daddies *in the middle of the path* . 

I know that open air nookie has its appeal, but find a secluded spot, for crying out loud!

* no really, right in the middle of the path.

• Haha 7
  • Confused 1

The person who left a large furniture loaded trailer in my drive yesterday afternoon blocking me in.   :jump_fire:

Today, having to go out, I reckoned it'd be a problem to shift that trailer but it wasn't.

My drive has a bit of a slope towards the road. The trailer was chocked. When I kicked away the bricks doing the chocking the trailer started to roll.

And roll and roll . . . . until it met the kerb on the other side of the road

And there I let it be, at right angles to the pavement, sticking out into the road,   :wicked: 

• Like 2
  • Haha 10

On 5/27/2021 at 10:22 PM, treker_ed said:

Completely cheesed off with the whole situation! At the moment we are back to a situation where they have too many cars for not enough parking - 5 cars, and only 3 parking spaces for the household. They have already taken over one visitors space as their own on a permanent basis. They swap cars over to make sure they always have a car parked in it!

If they are parked opposite the entrance to your drive such that it impedes you getting out, I believe this is technically illegal.

Completely sympathise, this is an ongoing issue we've had have with the house opposite for many, many years.

Although its been less of  a problem since the wife's blue badged car reversed into their  thoughtless visitor...