And today's grump is....

Bullbasket

22 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

What is this advertising you witter on about?

Not subscribing to anti-social meeja, or that idiot box most people have in the corner of the room, no newspapers, and 2 ad blockers on the PC, plus no land line, I manage to not suffer from this infestation.

I can’t work out if that’s a grump or not . . .

On 5/10/2021 at 6:48 PM, fatfingers said:

That advert with the 3 dancing toads really yanks my chain. Want to put my size 11 through the telly everytime i see it! 🤬

Regards,

Steve

Toadily understand......    :)

• Haha 2

On 5/10/2021 at 6:48 PM, fatfingers said:

That advert with the 3 dancing toads really yanks my chain. Want to put my size 11 through the telly everytime i see it! 🤬

Regards,

Steve

The ad that makes me laugh at the moment is the one for burglar alarms,the first ad a couple get back home to find they've been broken into so instead of phoning the police the first thing they do is phone about an alarm and the latest a bloke gets home with his two kids talks to his neighbour and says he's going to get one then opens his front door which isn't even locked...

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

The ad that makes me laugh at the moment is the one for burglar alarms,the first ad a couple get back home to find they've been broken into so instead of phoning the police the first thing they do is phone about an alarm and the latest a bloke gets home with his two kids talks to his neighbour and says he's going to get one then opens his front door which isn't even locked...

There's really not much point in contacting the police about a burglary, they'll just give you a crime number for the insurance.  If you're really lucky in a few days you may get an officer round to take a statement, just don't expect too much effort in actually solving it.

• Like 2

Hi

Today it is people who dont respond 

ordered my 1/32 whirlwind direct from SH  on 28th apriil got a confirmation and a  ......     will be posted as soon as possible

e mailled a few days later for an update to ask to has it been shipped yet ?

........  and no replies  .............

maybe i should have waited for hannants who always have given me good service 

cheers

jerry

46 minutes ago, brewerjerry said:

Hi

ordered my 1/32 whirlwind direct from SH  on 28th apriil got a confirmation and a  ......     will be posted as soon as possible

cheers

jerry

Hannants were expecting it in April, still no sign of it. If SH are taking orders, it must be close.

SH are not the fastest or most communicative, but they always deliver. 

Couple of things I've noticed:

- They seem to do their shipping on fixed days going by my order list. Not unheard of, actually. Get a bunch of orders and then a courier with a van to pick them all up at once. 

- You can check your order status on the site (create account - small discount standard).  Once shipped, they do send a mail confirmation, further updates will depend on shipping option. 
In my case, I usually do GLS as they are a bit more reliable than standard post with regards to tracking.

- It pays to shop around. In some cases, SH can be cheaper - especially when there's a sale on and you spread P&P over several items. 
Generally though, they're not in the habit of undercutting distributors or LHS pricing. 

On 5/15/2021 at 5:29 AM, brewerjerry said:

Hi

cheers

jerry

Yours shouldn't be far away (says he, optimistically ...). I ordered mine direct from SH about a fortnight or three weeks ago, and it arrived last week.

• Like 1

Television history programmes, I really shouldn't watch them!  Today a programme on war factories, actually quite interesting, about industry in the Soviet Union in WW2 and how, if it hadn't been for lend-lease, they wouldn't have survived.  Then they had to go and spoil it by stating 'The war in Europe ended in September 1945'! I mean, it's not as if it's some really obscure fact when the European war ended, the writer and the idiot doing the narration should be beaten with heavy cudgels!

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Well, I guess some trainee just typed "end of WW2" into Google (I tried and the first you get in big letters is "September 2, 1945") during "research". I mean, you really expect them to have such obscure knowledge that WW2 in Europe and the Pacific ended at different dates? C'mon, that was before Facebook and Twitter (effectively Stone Age) so did it happen at all? :D

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Shorty84 said:

Well, I guess some trainee just typed "end of WW2" into Google (I tried and the first you get in big letters is "September 2, 1945") during "research". I mean, you really expect them to have such obscure knowledge that WW2 in Europe and the Pacific ended at different dates? C'mon, that was before Facebook and Twitter (effectively Stone Age) so did it happen at all? :D

It was probably the same researcher that was responsible for the gem on another programme that the German blitzkrieg in the west took place in autumn 1940.   SWMBO tells me I should apply for a job as a researcher for these programmes, I think she's just fed up with me shouting at the television.

• Haha 6

8 hours ago, 593jones said:

that the German blitzkrieg in the west took place in autumn 1940. 

Well. It's not wrong. The Germans called their offensive in May/June 1940 Bewegungskrieg themselves. Blitzkrieg is a term coined by the press.

/wanders off muttering

On 5/17/2021 at 12:09 AM, Admiral Puff said:

Yours shouldn't be far away (says he, optimistically ...). I ordered mine direct from SH about a fortnight or three weeks ago, and it arrived last week.

Hi

mine arrived today ( happy ) 

but

i can grump about customs fees 

cheers

jerry 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, alt-92 said:

Well. It's not wrong. The Germans called their offensive in May/June 1940 Bewegungskrieg themselves. Blitzkrieg is a term coined by the press.

/wanders off muttering

Fall Gelb?   :whistle:

Well I think I may need legal advice after the hole I've just dug myself 🙄. Recently I purchased a fairly expensive kit which I told Mrs J cost £50, I even bragged about getting free shipping. Unfortunately when purchasing the kit I mistakenly used her card details and BOOM  am I in the doghouse. She is now demanding her £300 back plus compensation.....I offered £10 per week for 30 weeks but this seems to have only inflamed the situation 😬

• Haha 13
  • Sad 2

16 minutes ago, Andy J said:

Well I think I may need legal advice after the hole I've just dug myself 🙄. Recently I purchased a fairly expensive kit which I told Mrs J cost £50, I even bragged about getting free shipping. Unfortunately when purchasing the kit I mistakenly used her card details and BOOM  am I in the doghouse. She is now demanding her £300 back plus compensation.....I offered £10 per week for 30 weeks but this seems to have only inflamed the situation 😬

Look on the bright side. If you are in the doghouse, at least you can get on with working your way through the stash.

And now.....back on topic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On the road that we live on, there are two blocks of "apartments" both of which have a Flat 2. Two weeks on the trot, we have had delivery drivers trying to deliver to us take away meals that we have not ordered, that are in fact for one of the two flats. It's not the firs or second time we have had this happen, it happens on a regular basis. We've even had them knocking quite late in the evening. We do not have take away's (other than Fish & Chips) due to various health issues that myself & my wife have as we cannot guarantee that they would be suitable for us (lactose intolerance, onion free, garlic free for example).

We politely advise them that we have not ordered and redirect them towards the flats, when they then check their phone apps and realise that it is the flat they should be at! I am so fed up with it now, we have a community Facebook page and this is what I've just posted:

"Will the owners of Flat 2, 32 San Andres or Flat 2 46 San Andres Drive please make sure that when they order a take away - get their address correct. Yet again, we have had a delivery driver try to give us a take away that you have ordered. GET IT RIGHT WE ARE FED UP WITH IT."

we've had curries, pizzas, chinese and everything in between tried to be delivered - SWMBO has just suggested that one of these days we should just take it and watch the fall out! I'm tempted....

Edited by treker_ed
  • Haha 4

Todays grump is ending up with no groceries after refusing to hand over my date of birth to a complete stranger at the doorstep.

They only need to know my age , not my d.o.b ....  has nobody ever heard of identity theft ??

But the young lad delivering them couldnt see past "app says enter d.o.b"  ,  so whole delivery rejected at retailer's expense.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IanHx said:

Todays grump is ending up with no groceries after refusing to hand over my date of birth to a complete stranger at the doorstep.

They only need to know my age , not my d.o.b ....  has nobody ever heard of identity theft ??

But the young lad delivering them couldnt see past "app says enter d.o.b"  ,  so whole delivery rejected at retailer's expense.

Who was that with? Never heard of having to do that to accept a home delivery for groceries! Mind you, considering how many times we've had the wrong things delivered, or substituted (despite stating no substitutions due to dietary requirements), we've stopped doing online shopping for groceries. I'll go at 7:30am to avoid the crowds. Catch 22, don't like large crowds, but like to picky own stuff due to the above, and also know the dates of stuff will be ok as well. Too many short dated items delivered as well.