And today's grump is....

Bullbasket

I had a patio door that did that after several years. I asked a client who was a scientist at Pilkingtons  Glass and was told it can be stress in the glass which causes it to shatter, the glass actually getting microscopically thinner as time goes by and losing just enough strength to permit the fracture after time.  Can go with a real bang too. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Thank goodness windscreens don't do that any more.

mine does when the bikers 🚴‍♀️ bounce up off the bonnet hard enuff 

just kidding honest :analintruder:

• Haha 5

Signed up to Sky Q for the UHD service as we recently had to change our TV due to our old one failing. New TV is 4K UHD so we thought why not use it's capabilities and upgrade our existing Sky service. 

Popped along to our local shopping centre once we were allowed to after 12th April to chat to the Sky sales agents in there, and discussed why we wanted to upgrade, and we were told that the UHD part was included, and that there was no extra charge, and so our bill would not increase! Great - we signed up. Fast forward to Yesterday and get it all installed, only to find that the UHD part is NOT included, is extra, and will increase our bill.

Sent off a complaint to the Sky customer services (sadly India based contact centre....) and requested a call back to discuss. No call back, received an email at 07:01 this morning to basically say that as this is not recorded on our account then we are not getting the upgrade unless we can provide proof! Luckily the sales agent wrote things down on the back of a Sky Q leaflet about wanting UHD etc. So I now need to go and discuss this "error" with them again! Not a very happy or impressed customer.

Not received the service that I was expecting nor believed that we had signed up to, or that had been discussed.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Funny - I thought the UHD channels were part of the existing Sky Q package?

Trevor

nope - you pay extra according to the website - but as I said above, we stated to them that the whole reason we were upgrading to sky Q was for the UHD channels, and we haven't got them. So not happy at all. 

Update: So went along to the shopping centre stand where we arranged our upgrade, after talking to them for about 10 minutes, and showing them what they had written down, it turns out all they would do is ........ Nothing! As the person we spoke to is not in until Monday they wont deal with it until then. This is despite the fact that the person I spoke to today, was the other person on the stand on the day we went up there! So completely wasted journey. Oh and he told me that I would also have to speak to the customer services as well to get it sorted out. No chance, you messed it up, you sort it out. I have complete recall of the conversation, and what we told them as to our requirements. We would not have upgraded to Sky Q if we were not asking for the UHD package as well. If we had been staying on the HD, we could have stayed with our original Sky HD box and not bothered with the change, and would have saved us £99 for the privilege of this mess! 

Edited by treker_ed
  • Sad 1

Hi

My moan, i phone my UK bank helpline from canada, letter sent said they are open until 10pm UK time 

go thro the whole long list of identity stuff etc

and then at the end there is a message 

we now close at 8pm 

looks like another phonecall tomorrow but at least 2hrs earlier 

cheers

jerry 

• Sad 1

Waking up to find a message offering a substantial discount on the KP MiG-23UM I was following on eBay, rushing over to buy it, only to find someone had beaten me to the punch. Bah! Those MiG-23s are hard to find, especially at a decent price.

• Sad 1

On 5/5/2021 at 8:00 PM, JohnT said:

I had a patio door that did that after several years. I asked a client who was a scientist at Pilkingtons  Glass and was told it can be stress in the glass which causes it to shatter, the glass actually getting microscopically thinner as time goes by and losing just enough strength to permit the fracture after time.  Can go with a real bang too. 

behaves like an undercooled liquid, I've heard explain once.  You can see that behaviour in older, single-pane glass windows or mirrors sometimes, it starts to sag and distort.

• Like 1

I know that it's not quite the same thing, but still stressed glass. When I was at work many years ago, a colleague had been warming a Pyrex plate up in the oven. He got it out and sat it down on top of a melamine covered table, with the result that seconds later the plate exploded, sending glass flying everywhere. It made me respect these type of plates more in the future.

John.

5 hours ago, RAF4EVER said:

Maybe that is a good sign everyone is happy 😈

No, that's no good.

Where would we be if everyone in the world was happy?

Nothing would get done, because no-one would be motivated!

We need large numbers of cranky people do get things done.

That makes me happy!

Dammit.

• Haha 7

@John Tapsell in complete agreement with you there. 

The "suggested for you" most of the time are so far off the mark as to be laughable, and some of the adverts as well! One day last week, I kept a track of all the ads, and suggestions that I closed during an 8 hour period, close to 240 over the 8 hours! I just wish there was a setting to tell them "to get lost I'm not interested in all this crap that you are trying to sell me - I'm not interested!" But of course, that's how they make their money supposedly by "not" selling your details to advertising companies!

I was about to come and grump about neighbours building stuff... For the last 3 or 4 years every summer without fail, we have had neighbours building stuff. One has built a "super shed" which took him 2 or 3 summers to finish and he still tinkers with it, every nice weekend, or evening out come the power tools - and all our windows get shut due to the damn noise he makes! Another neighbour has spent the last 2 or 3 years renovating a brand new house that's only 7 years old (we moved into ours in late 2013, and theirs was built early 2014. So again, most weekends, and evenings it's been out with the power tools. And now, another one directly behind us is building a bloody shed. So again, out with the power tools, drills, saws etc. Getting damned fed up with it. Cannot enjoy a lovely evening without some sort of noise from someone building with power tools! We have to keep all our doors and windows closed because of the amount of noise generated by them!

Edited by treker_ed
  • Sad 2

It seems to run in phases - you get several days of fairly constant adverts and suggestions and then it goes quiet for a couple of weeks before it starts all over again. I understand why they do it - the more things you 'like' and the more 'friends' you have, the wider the platform's influence becomes through you. It's insidious and very effective as a peer to peer marketing strategy.

• Like 1

What is this advertising you witter on about?

Not subscribing to anti-social meeja, or that idiot box most people have in the corner of the room, no newspapers, and 2 ad blockers on the PC, plus no land line, I manage to not suffer from this infestation.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, treker_ed said:

@John Tapsell in complete agreement with you there. 

The "suggested for you" most of the time are so far off the mark as to be laughable, and some of the adverts as well! One day last week, I kept a track of all the ads, and suggestions that I closed during an 8 hour period, close to 240 over the 8 hours! I just wish there was a setting to tell them "to get lost I'm not interested in all this crap that you are trying to sell me - I'm not interested!" But of course, that's how they make their money supposedly by "not" selling your details to advertising companies!

I was about to come and grump about neighbours building stuff... For the last 3 or 4 years every summer without fail, we have had neighbours building stuff. One has built a "super shed" which took him 2 or 3 summers to finish and he still tinkers with it, every nice weekend, or evening out come the power tools - and all our windows get shut due to the damn noise he makes! Another neighbour has spent the last 2 or 3 years renovating a brand new house that's only 7 years old (we moved into ours in late 2013, and theirs was built early 2014. So again, most weekends, and evenings it's been out with the power tools. And now, another one directly behind us is building a bloody shed. So again, out with the power tools, drills, saws etc. Getting damned fed up with it. Cannot enjoy a lovely evening without some sort of noise from someone building with power tools! We have to keep all our doors and windows closed because of the amount of noise generated by them!

Easy solution: record the racket, then play it back to him at max volume - at about 2.00 am. Shouldn't take long for the message to get through!

On 5/6/2021 at 9:30 AM, treker_ed said:

Signed up to Sky Q for the UHD service as we recently had to change our TV due to our old one failing. New TV is 4K UHD so we thought why not use it's capabilities and upgrade our existing Sky service. 

Popped along to our local shopping centre once we were allowed to after 12th April to chat to the Sky sales agents in there, and discussed why we wanted to upgrade, and we were told that the UHD part was included, and that there was no extra charge, and so our bill would not increase! Great - we signed up. Fast forward to Yesterday and get it all installed, only to find that the UHD part is NOT included, is extra, and will increase our bill.

Sent off a complaint to the Sky customer services (sadly India based contact centre....) and requested a call back to discuss. No call back, received an email at 07:01 this morning to basically say that as this is not recorded on our account then we are not getting the upgrade unless we can provide proof! Luckily the sales agent wrote things down on the back of a Sky Q leaflet about wanting UHD etc. So I now need to go and discuss this "error" with them again! Not a very happy or impressed customer.

Not received the service that I was expecting nor believed that we had signed up to, or that had been discussed.  

Just had a call from a UK based Sky customer service agent. Problem resolved. Have now been upgraded to Sky Ultra HD service FOC for 18 months. So instead of an extra £4pm on top of my bill, we are getting the UHD add on for nothing until November 2022. Doesn't seem a lot, but it's a saving of £72 over the 18 months! Thank you. 

(Asked the wife if I get the £72 for hobby stuff, sadly the answer was a definite NO you do not! 🙁)

Edited by treker_ed
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1