And today's grump is....

Bullbasket

Lazy scammers! Apart from the fact that these scroats are the lowest form of pond life known to man, they also seem to have taken on a totally lazy attitude now, when it comes to sending out emails. One that I got this morning didn't give any indication as to who it was allegedly from. It just said that if I didn't update my security, my account would be closed. These Nigerian princes are really getting careless.

John.

• Like 3

5 1/2 years ago (Dec 2015) we had solar panel installed by a company called Clean Green Home Energy, just before government of the time changed the subsidies and payment scheme that homeowners could get. It was assumed that 50% of any energy generated would be fed back into the grid, and you get a payment from your energy supplier based on KWh generated. These changed (if I remember) in the Jan of 2016. Anyway, due to the withdrawal of the installation grants from Government to supplier, it increasingly became less profitable for companies to install, and the company we purchased from, decided to put themselves into voluntary liquidation in the middle of 2016. 

Now, a major part of their assets was their customer list - which I know for a fact was sold on by the liquidators. For 3 years, until we changed our number, we were plagued with phone calls from energy companies, green energy companies, warranty companies etc all claiming to be now looking after the warranty on our solar panels. No matter what we did, we would sometimes be getting upwards of 10 calls a day! In the end, all we could do was to change our phone number with BT. Thankfully, this stopped all these calls (didn't stop the cold calls from spoofed or overseas, but that's another story completely!!!) Fast forward to April 2021 and we receive a letter out of the blue from a claims company called Solar Claims UK LTD, in a hand written envelope (which made me think it was from family initially, until I saw the mis-spelled, and mis-addressed details). Sadly, it would seem the curse of the sold on customer list has struck again, they are contacting all the company's customers to "invite" them to participate in a mis-selling compensation claim. Now, whom they are claiming from I don't know as the company no longer exists, nor it would seem that they have not done any homework, as we did not purchase our solar panels with any home-loan or grant as we purchased our panels outright, no finance company involved at all.

Contacted them to request our details be removed - sorry that team is busy, can I hold?, no you cant - don't have the facility to put you on hold, they will have to call you back! First company I've ever called who are unable to put someone on hold... Anyway, few minutes later, call back from someone, who would appear to be one of the owners/directors of the company (had been doing a Companies House search on them to check them out) and he doesn't seem happy to be making the call, and his first words were I believe you've asked for a call back as you want your details removed....? No I was told your team was busy, so I had to have a call back! Not happy about the letter being sent out, not requested, its really a junk letter, and our address is incorrect. Well as we are removing you from our database it doesn't really matter does it.. (in the back of my mind I'm thinking, yes it does, if you are trying to find our address and you've got it spelt incorrectly, you wont find it will you!

Let's wait and see if we now get any more letters or contact about any mis-selling - we'll know where they'll have come from. Oh yes, we are supposedly on the Mail Preference service DO NOT MAIL list (same as Telephone preference service, but for mailing)

Just sharing the frustrations of trying to finish off a house build and you would not believe the sheer stupidity and incompetence of all three utility suppliers.  You truly could not make it up.  Its quite funny really.

To get it you have to understand that we are building a new house on a private country estate which has the "manor" house and several farm cottages and new builds dotted about the estate.

Scottish Water are asked can we connect to the water on the estate.  Answer - no - you have to connect to the mains on the A road thats half a mile away across the river.  Why?  Because there is no water supplied to that location or pipes within a half mile and that's the nearest mains pipe.  Question.  I live next door to the site at present.  How come I had a shower and tea this morning after flushing the loo?  Several neighbours will have done the same.  Answers - No they cant have as its not showing on our records.  There is no water there because we say so.    

Got them persuaded that there was water supplied onto the estate.  Then it was well you will have to ask the landowner permission and get a letter.  Er, no its in the title deeds that we can and also the existing building on site already has a water supply for the stables that  are coming down.  besides I am the landowner and the pipes cross my ground. Send them the deeds.  No we still want to see a letter saying the same thing

Scottish Power - call them to ask about a power connection arrangement.  I am asked "Why do we need one if we are building a new house?".:hmmm::mental:  I confess that confused me a moment or two while I thought of an answer.  Next question was where do you live and whats your account number?  Told them.  Ok they'd get back to me.  Next day I got an email saying they were happy to have helped and after checking they would close their inquiry as we already had power supplied.  have a nice day:wall:

BT - asked them to supply a phone line and broadband.  Should be easy as the overhead telephone line pole is next to the house (we are getting it moved - another tale) - and the new fast fibre broadband for the several houses on the estate comes into a box installed in the last six months on my land 40 feet from the house.  Suspiciously all was looking simple.  My BT on line showed that all was proceeding through the system.  All the same I got three texts saying there was a problem and could I phone in on the given number. to supply more information  More info needed.  This I did each time to get the same story - yes they had all they required and it was just a computer issue or something. The kit needed would be posted out for Thursday 29 April and the engineer would come and do the work on 30 April.   I was sent also a home hub as a temporary measure as timetabled.  On Thursday last week the kit arrived as planned for the engineer to install the next day Friday.  All well and good.  Friday no one turned up.  I called yesterday to find out why.  No idea from BT but would look into it.

Today I get a nice text and also an email saying that it was all installed and they would turn off the temporary hub in seven days (its never been on).  Case closed and have a nice day. :shrug:

I called BT and its been a SNAFU at their end but they will start all over again and I am back at the end of the line waiting but they will try and expedite it.

All three are monopolies when it comes to installations and it shows.  Lip service is paid to customer care and handlers display - in the case of Scottish Power especially - staggering levels of ignorance about what they are doing.  If I ran my business the way they run theirs I'd have my licence /ticket pulled in a flash and I'd be out on my ear.

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

I have a weather pebble in the garden. If it’s wet then it’s raining, but if dry, it’s not.

Trevor 

Upgrade to the new version.  Does all the above but if dry on one side and wet on the other its very very windy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

5 minutes ago, JohnT said:

Upgrade to the new version.  Does all the above but if dry on one side and wet on the other its very very windy.

And if I can’t see it, then it’s nighttime 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, JohnT said:

or foggy

Or both but if it’s dark can you tell it’s foggy?

17 minutes ago, Brad said:

Fences, why do fences bring out the worst in neghbours?

There’s a whole section on the Land Registry website about boundaries. I’ve had quite a few arguments in the past including a developer telling the authority I worked for to remove our fences trespassing on their land. Quick check found that we had sold next door to A N Other who in turn sold it to the developer. A N Other had used an incorrect plan ‘selling’ more than he owed! That meant the developer had to scrub plans for several houses on the new build estate! They were not happy 🤭

Trevor

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Or both but if it’s dark can you tell it’s foggy?

There’s a whole section on the Land Registry website about boundaries. I’ve had quite a few arguments in the past including a developer telling the authority I worked for to remove our fences trespassing on their land. Quick check found that we had sold next door to A N Other who in turn sold it to the developer. A N Other had used an incorrect plan ‘selling’ more than he owed! That meant the developer had to scrub plans for several houses on the new build estate! They were not happy 🤭

Trevor

Belgian Farmer moves French border - start of WWIII?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-56978344

4 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

Belgian Farmer moves French border - start of WWIII?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-56978344

I’ll counter with this........

http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/20171210-europes-strange-border-anomaly

Trevor

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JohnT said:

Just sharing the frustrations of trying to finish off a house build and you would not believe the sheer stupidity and incompetence of all three utility suppliers.  You truly could not make it up.  Its quite funny really.

I'm sure the fun will not stop there, my son recently moved into a new build on an existing large estate, so far Amazon, Talk-Talk and DVLA have all refused to accept his address as it's not on their data base however, BT have supplied broadband while BBC licensing are starting an investigation into why that address has never had a TV license. :shrug:

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

19 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

while BBC licensing are starting an investigation into why that address has never had a TV license. :shrug:

At least we now know the licence fees are well spent,all the time i thought it was wasted on naff programmes....

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

At least we now know the licence fees are well spent,

Eurovision Song Contest

3 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

all the time i thought it was wasted on naff programmes....

Eurovision Song Contest

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

The BBC pays a large sum of money for the rights to broadcast the event, thus the UK is in the event automatically. The UK doesn't even have to do the qualifying rounds

The contest pre-dates the EU as well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

Does the UK still qualify for the EUROvision Song Contest?

If Australia did from 2015, I am sure that the UK can still qualify, more is the pity!

Ray

• Haha 6

ARRGGGHHHH!!!!!

Why am I such a clumsy fool...

I've taken this week as a holiday & after sitting on my lazy backside since Saturday morning I thought "C'mon Steve - you were supposed to be doing some modelling this week".  So this morning I popped up to the office & began a grand clean up - dusted everything down - new filters & liner in the spray booth - gave both airbrushes a full sonic bath etc...

Finally - I cleared my 8ft long bench completely & set about cleaning the 3 sheets of toughened glass that cover it.  Toughened glass is brilliant for paint & glue spills - let it dry & scrap it off with a razor blade.  The final job was a quick wipe over with some glass cleaner & everything could go back in place - ready for a bit of modelling.

...then I heard a "ping" - followed by a "bang" - here is the result...

GLASS-1.jpg

GLASS-2.jpg

After an hour on my knees with an empty waste bin I have given up & took these snaps before closing the door on the remaining carnage.

DOHHH!!!!

• Sad 11

19 minutes ago, Vince1159 said:

I notice the sun is on it could that have warmed it up and be the reason, wasn't there someone a couple of weeks ago that happened to with a door on a display case....

Vince - I have been looking for every excuse under the sun - but no one is home - so it's all down to me.  :lol:

Madame X will go berserk when she gets in from work - if I have the nerve to tell her.  The conversation will probably go something like this...

MADAME X - "so what have you been up to today"

BIG X - "oh nothing much luv - just watching some junk on sky tv & browsing the forum" :whistle:

8 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

Good light stopped play?

Hope no blood was spilled.

Trevor

Trevor - up to now...  I only have 3 cuts :lol:

2 hours in & I now have nearly 6 kilos of broken glass in the bin...

GLASS-3.jpg

GLASS-4.jpg

...it's amazing how much there is of it:shrug:

Steve

• Sad 4

When I was at work, we had a huge number of toughened glass shelves to display the products on. I was the merchandiser at the time and I had to shift these around on a regular basis. One day I was carrying a glass shelf and it exploded as I was carrying it. I did not bump into anything, it just blew! I eventually picked up all the bits of glass, some were over twenty feet away. I escaped with just a couple of small glass nicks, one of which has left a scar on my forearm. It was a scary moment! The only thing I can think of was that it had been sat over a strip light and they got quite warm. It may have caught a bunch of keys I always had attached to my jacket.

Ray

• Like 2
  • Sad 1