And today's grump is....

Bullbasket

No one in any IT department has a clue.

They exist in a bubble that assumes that the rest of mankind knows how to do updates etc and that they should be left to their own devices.

At the end of the financial year our finance dept switched to another company for on line paychits etc.

We got an email with four lines to fill in. DoB. Email address (well, they'd just sent this there!) National Insurance number And one other thing.

You had four chances to get this lot correct. Failing that it locked you out. 

Four times it told me I was wrong, so I got locked out. Why, Because they had my DoB wrong by two days!

Since then, despite numerous calls from finance and me, I still don't get paychits! 

I had to try and convince one Girly that I knew my DoB and that she was wrong but, hey, it was on her screen so must be right. 

I have now given up.

• Haha 5
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 5

24 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

They exist in a bubble that assumes that the rest of mankind knows how to do updates etc and that they should be left to their own devices.

At the end of the financial year our finance dept switched to another company for on line paychits etc.

We got an email with four lines to fill in. DoB. Email address (well, they'd just sent this there!) National Insurance number And one other thing.

Four times it told me I was wrong, so I got locked out. Why, Because they had my DoB wrong by two days!

Since then, despite numerous calls from finance and me, I still don't get paychits! 

I had to try and convince one Girly that I knew my DoB and that she was wrong but, hey, it was on her screen so must be right. 

I have now given up.

Computer say NO 😈

• Haha 4

35 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I have now given up.

And this is the danger we face by going electronic for everything.

People ask me if I use computer banking, and I say NO! Far too much to go wrong.

'Oh no' they say, 'it is so safe and easy, you need to come out of the stone age'

Guess what, a piece of paper is safe and easy. Always was, always will be. And it is not susceptible to an EMP.

• Like 9

14 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I have now given up.

Pete, DON'T get mad, just get even! I'd suggest a personal communication to the M.D. / C.E.O. of the company handling the payroll, explaining the fact their company have your personal information wrong. IF requested, supply a photocopy of your DoB from your birth certificate (only that part along with the header, NOT the whole document) as proof. The person may not have a clue how a 'magic box' works but has the clout to insert their boot where it's required!

I think you'll find that your employer has an obligation to supply a certificate of pay and deductions either weekly or monthly dependant on your contracted terms, in either physical or if acceptable to you electronic format. I know your issued a P60 by HMRC for every year, but if you need a proof of earnings, will last years information be enough? The people NOT doing their job correctly and telling you that they know your DoB better than you are still being paid, and if the people at the top don't know.............. Remember, it's the squeaky hinge that get's the oil!

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I have now given up.

You could point out to them that they're obliged by law to correct the error in your personal data.

GDPR Article 5(d), incorporated into UK law by the Data Protection Act 2018: "Personal data shall be...accurate and, where necessary, kept up to date; every reasonable step must be taken to ensure that personal data that are inaccurate, having regard to the purposes for which they are processed, are erased or rectified without delay (‘accuracy’)."

Article 16: "The data subject shall have the right to obtain from the controller without undue delay the rectification of inaccurate personal data concerning him or her."

Article 77 (1): "Without prejudice to any other administrative or judicial remedy, every data subject shall have the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority, in particular in the Member State of his or her habitual residence, place of work or place of the alleged infringement if the data subject considers that the processing of personal data relating to him or her infringes this Regulation." In the UK, that's the Information Commissioner's Office.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I have now given up.

@Pete in Lincs Back in the day of the Data Protection Act all companies had a duty under law to ensure that the data that they kept was accurate, and if not when notified by the individual concerned that it was incorrect (as you have done) they had a legal obligation to take steps to correct it. If they failed to do so, you could report any and all such failures to the Data Protection Registrars office who could then act to enforce the relevant part of the legislation. With the change over to the GDPR I am not as up to date with this aspect of the legislation, however, I would be very surprised if there was not a section that did not deal with this.

My first step would be to contact your HR department, then if not corrected, the HR director. Under UK law there must be a designated person within the company who is the GDPR lead who is responsible for "Data Protection" for want of a better description, in other words a person who is responsible for the maintenance of the accuracy of any and all databases (internal & external) utilised by your company, and any sub-contractors, that includes personal information such as DOB, NI number etc. Your employers essentially have a duty of care to ensure this information is correct and (in theory) there could be consequences for them if found to be incorrect and no steps have been taken to correct.  

Hope that info helps - I'm not an expert, at all, but have used data protection quite a lot over the years, and had to become very acquainted with GDPR with some volunteering I've done (plus I'm a bit of a geek when it comes to this sort of thing and I'm a bit of a swine and will read up as much as I can on the relevant information!)

Regards

John

• Like 3

I wouldn't normally put down the French health system, but so far, what I've seen of their efforts to vaccinate the population has been poor. Apparently, they have been vaccinating my age group (70 - 74 year old's) for some time now. But on one of the health sites, it' still saying that it's only the over 75s that are getting the jab. Then yesterday, a friend of mine tells me that he and his wife are getting a jab at the local pharmacy next week, and they are in their 60's. So I went to the pharmacy this morning, and I'm pleased to say that we have signed up, and are awaiting a phone call. But there is no info out there telling you that the pharmacy is doing the vaccination. We only found out through word of mouth. As I've said a few times, An alcohol drinking session in a beer producing facility.

John.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

4 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

friend of mine tells me that he and his wife are getting a jab at the local pharmacy next week, and they are in their 60's.

Don't know if the situation in France is the same as over here, do know that if you have a covid injection at the GP's surgery even though there's a

good chance it won't be GP staff doing it, they are making £££££ off the back.

I think it’s probably the same as with other things John ( @Bullbasket ),each departement doing their own thing, like when they changed the firearm renewal procedures about 5 years ago’ which was an absolute shambles. I had both my jabs at the hospital in Bellac because SWMPBO contacted the ‘ Doctolib ‘ website on my behalf as soon as it opened. Being younger than me she expected to have to wait, but on a visit to the local pharmacy about 6 weeks ago the pharmacist asked if she would like one, despite our doctor’s receptionist  having told her it was over 70s only. She’s now waiting for the second one in late May but not looking forward to it as she reacted badly, as expected, to the first.

The health system here is excellent as you suggest, but they’ve not exactly covered themselves in glory over this

John

I suspect the same thing is happening there as here: younger people are  being contacted when the doctor/pharmacist has ended up with more doses, either over-supply or people not turning up for appointments.  Better to give it out to the young 'uns than have it go to waste.  My sister-in-law just had her second a week early (reason unknown), my second was on schedule two days ago.  Despite stories of greater reactions the second time around, for me it is much the same - after one day a mild annoyance in the shoulder, noticeable when placing things on high shelves but don't lean on door frames or on that side in bed.  Nevertheless my wife told me this morning that I was sleeping on that side for at least part of the night.  Sorry, no horror stories, so no additional sympathy either.  

Thanks for the wageslip replies, Guys. What you say makes sense. To get anywhere I need to be sent a copy of that initial email.

I can then fill in the four items (correct or incorrect birthday) and we should be cooking with gas.

But despite repeated requests, still no email. I think we are dealing with people working from home who don't have a clue.

And they just send each other emails about it. No doubt it'll get fixed eventually. On the sick for now, so not much pay anyway!

My company is only a smallish family firm, so no HR as such. And I recently found out, one of the two girls in Finance is in the same boat as me.

• Sad 6

@Pete in Lincs small or large doesn't matter they still have a duty of care under the GDPR/Data Protection to ensure that any and all data that they hold is correct and that includes records for their employees. If the company that they have contracted their payslip function out to cannot get a simple piece of data such as a DOB correct, what else is incorrect that is more important and what else are they not managing or protecting correctly?

• Like 3

11 hours ago, AWFK10 said:

You could point out to them that they're obliged by law to correct the error in your personal data.

GDPR Article 5(d), incorporated into UK law by the Data Protection Act 2018: "Personal data shall be...accurate and, where necessary, kept up to date; every reasonable step must be taken to ensure that personal data that are inaccurate, having regard to the purposes for which they are processed, are erased or rectified without delay (‘accuracy’)."

Article 16: "The data subject shall have the right to obtain from the controller without undue delay the rectification of inaccurate personal data concerning him or her."

Article 77 (1): "Without prejudice to any other administrative or judicial remedy, every data subject shall have the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority, in particular in the Member State of his or her habitual residence, place of work or place of the alleged infringement if the data subject considers that the processing of personal data relating to him or her infringes this Regulation." In the UK, that's the Information Commissioner's Office.

^^ This ^^

Saying the magic word "GDPR" gets IT departments falling over in a mad scramble to sort it out as there are serious consequences.

I'd also give YOUR company's CFO both barrels for trying to save a quick buck by outsourcing to the lowest bidder...  you just dont get the same level of service. End of.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, PhoenixII said:

Don't know if the situation in France is the same as over here, do know that if you have a covid injection at the GP's surgery even though there's a

good chance it won't be GP staff doing it, they are making £££££ off the back.

14 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

I think it’s probably the same as with other things John ( @Bullbasket ),each departement doing their own thing, like when they changed the firearm renewal procedures about 5 years ago’ which was an absolute shambles. I had both my jabs at the hospital in Bellac because SWMPBO contacted the ‘ Doctolib ‘ website on my behalf as soon as it opened. Being younger than me she expected to have to wait, but on a visit to the local pharmacy about 6 weeks ago the pharmacist asked if she would like one, despite our doctor’s receptionist  having told her it was over 70s only. She’s now waiting for the second one in late May but not looking forward to it as she reacted badly, as expected, to the first.

The health system here is excellent as you suggest, but they’ve not exactly covered themselves in glory over this

John

At the start of the program, I received a letter from the health department telling me that I could have the jab at the GP's or the pharmacy. Went to the GP's and was told that they would definitely NOT be doing the vaccinating. Pharmacies also at the time, were not doing it either. So it was a real surprise to walk into the pharmacy yesterday and be told, yes, we could have it done there, and they have taken our details. So now, just got to wait for the phone call.

As and aside, sod's law dictates that when you are waiting for an important phone call, the cold calling increases threefold. It's amazing how many non English speaking people can understand when they are told to go forth and multiply.

John. 

• Like 5

Payslips part the second

I rang finance this morning and amazingly, this afternoon, an email showed up in Yahoo. This is after they said they'd already sent it three times....

Part one, fill in four lines. Yep. Even my DoB was correct. Well, it's today! (Years ago though).

Next bit, read and agree to rules etc. Boring.

Third bit, I was getting excited by now to have gotten so far. Fill in a user name. This can be your email if you wish. Did that.

Fill in a Password. Click on randomly generated password box that pops up. Nope. Incorrect data. It doesn't say which bit though!

So, faff around with variations of user names and passwords. All incorrect. Apparently. 

What did I say above about I.T.? Useless. Back to the phone on Monday then. 

• Sad 1

How about this one...

I have over £----   forget that... I have A LOT OF MONEY...  In a certain building society / bank - just money we put away every year or two & we used to have a good old fashioned paying in book.

A couple of years ago they said they were doing away with the book & gave us a couple of cards.  We weren't happy - but what can you do???

Now the cards have expired & we got a letter to say they weren't issuing new ones - because we hadn't used them.  NO SHAAAAT - we only pay in at the counter - not take out - so we hadn't used them.

I got onto them & asked for new cards - as this is the only proof that we have actually have the account now they have done away with the book.  The guy on the phone said "but if you don't use them it's a waste of plastic".  I asked him to look at our account balance - he suddenly changed his tone...

• Haha 12

13 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

At the start of the program, I received a letter from the health department telling me that I could have the jab at the GP's or the pharmacy. Went to the GP's and was told that they would definitely NOT be doing the vaccinating. Pharmacies also at the time, were not doing it either. So it was a real surprise to walk into the pharmacy yesterday and be told, yes, we could have it done there, and they have taken our details. So now, just got to wait for the phone call.

As and aside, sod's law dictates that when you are waiting for an important phone call, the cold calling increases threefold. It's amazing how many non English speaking people can understand when they are told to go forth and multiply.

John. 

Ain't that the truth. A few years back my old man was in hospital and I was waiting around for them to give me the call to pick him up. Cold calling and spam phone calls by the ton arrived. Surely there must be something better these people can do for a wage??

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Kitchen worktops, more specifically their height. Designed for Lilliputians, probably. Certainly not for anyone 6’2”’ as ten minutes use results in backache.

The worst offender is the kitchen sink, which is a torture device for those of taller stature. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

Kitchen worktops, more specifically their height. Designed for Lilliputians, probably. Certainly not for anyone 6’2”’ as ten minutes use results in backache.

The worst offender is the kitchen sink, which is a torture device for those of taller stature. 

Marry a short woman.

• Haha 9