And today's grump is....

Bullbasket

Receiving letters from the health department, inviting us for a jab, only to find that we are not old enough! Don't these people check their own records? By the time that they open it up to 74 year olds, I'll be 75! Arranging a party in a beer making establishment comes to mind.

John.

• Haha 7

I started to miss the old thread :P anyways:

I've heard the Parisiens are particularly friendly and will go bumper to bumper shunting cars around until they make room to fit. Because of this no one uses the handbrake.

You can do it without touching the other cars. Takes some practice, but...

y4mMp51rOLDTxgs6pDYxyz60eNsRM3kLL95GwxgW

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Getting phone calls for my 38yo daughter on my mobile. I don't think she's ever given my number out, she has her own phone. Why haven't these morons removed my number from their list despite my protestations.

If they are sales type calls you can list your telephone numbers with the 'Telephone Preference Service'. Then it becomes illegal for these sales persons to phone you without your permission. TPS has some blunt teeth but it works.

https://www.tpsonline.org.uk/

1 hour ago, Ratch said:

Getting phone calls for my 38yo daughter on my mobile. I don't think she's ever given my number out, she has her own phone. Why haven't these morons removed my number from their list despite my protestations.

They won't, they never do. I've had companies fined, and they still call. Just block the number.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

They won't, they never do. I've had companies fined, and they still call. Just block the number.

Its sad but true, occasionally I still get scam calls from overseas accents, either block them that is only a temporary measure, because they just usually find new numbers to pester you, or if I'm in the mood and have time, play along with them and waste their time only to surprise them that I know what they are doing ... they go crazy bat mad I have wasted their time in that accent, even though I was the potential victim!

Not being racist, but we all know where these calls come from, this guy who reverse engineered a scam call centre abroad and even hacked their video is my hero ... LOL what he did was amazing in exposing them ... must watch folks :)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

People trying to take me for a ride when I don't want to go!

We are collecting Devis ( quotes ) at the moment for a wooden ' picket ' fence around our new piece of garden. Among  the people we asked was a guy who we know slightly and had been recommended. He told us that he would get the materials from a wood yard not far away so we asked him to send us a quote, which duly arrived and made our eyes water. We asked him to break it down and he just gave us a figure for materials and one for labour but was reluctant to break it down further. This morning we went to the wood yard, where they actually make up the fence panels and gates to you specifications and asked for a price for the same quantity, and it came to about half the price we had been quoted. The gardener(?) told us that he would only charge us for his time and fuel to collect the wood from the yard which is 20 mins away, so obviously that wouldn't make up the difference. Needless to say he won't be getting the job, or any recommendations from us.

John

PS we've just received a package of animal feed supplements from the UK for our 33 year old horse and 12 year old dog because they're not available here and were asked to pay 77 Euros customs duty! When she placed the order SWMBO checked and was told that she could pay the duty with the order so that she did not have to pay it here but that doesn't seem to have worked and we have ended up paying about 50% of the total on 'duty'. I've heard of this happening several times now and it mostly seems to be one particular carrier, so something smells. Anyway SWMBO is now on the case and someone will get it in the neck sooner or later, she doesn't give up easily. 

• Like 4

On 23/03/2021 at 13:34, Biggles87 said:

I've heard of this happening several times now and it mostly seems to be one particular carrier, so something smells.

Colissimo by any chance?

Had to go up to my dad's as he'd managed to fall over and mangle his ear sufficiently to warrant 17 stitches. ...

So I left my home and headed for Loughborough, intending to join the M1 at J23 as I usually do to head for the glittering metropolis of Nottingham.

Only problem was (Drumroll please) Roadworks at J23 meant I had to divert up the A6 to J24.

Got to J24, joined the M1 northbound, only to discover, thanks to the overhead signs, that the slip road off the M1 at J25 is closed.

Guess where I wanted to leave the motorway?

Had to go up another junction, then work my way round the edge of  Nottingham to get back to my dad's, doubling my usual journey time

He's fine - Which is more than I can say about my opinion of Highways Agency planners....

IanJ 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

49 minutes ago, PhoenixII said:

Ian, @Bonhoff why didn't you follow the 453, Easy off for Queens Med or Nottm. General?

Dad was back home in "Stabbo" at this point - Besides which , there was no clue about J25 being closed until you get onto the motorway, a short run up the A52 if you come off at J25, a longer journey if you have to go up to J26 and then down the A6002!

It gets better! In all the fuss last night, I forgot to do one very important task when I arrived at Dad's.....

Put the parking permit in my car window!

Sure enough - I step out this morning at 09:15 to find that the local "Stasi" have put a ticket on my car between 09:02 and 09:07! Restrictions start at 09:00!

My gast is well and truly flabbered.

IanJ

• Sad 8

Good news for those who are sick to the teeth of seeing the same old programmes recycled on the UK Gold TV channel.

I mean, if you don't know the scripts to Dinner Ladies, Vicar of Dibley, Only fools, etc off by heart now, where have you been?

Anyway, Following the recent discovery of Queen Victoria's film stash, UK Gold will be showing a new programme called 'Afternoon tea with Albert'. Hilarious.

In case you'd not guessed, this is a grump about UK daytime TV. Weekends are even worse! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 3/24/2021 at 2:00 PM, bentwaters81tfw said:

They are saying 2 days. Probably ships will just skip a port and feed.

or use alternative means...

boats-gonna-boat_o_7251603.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 10