Kiwi birds. 1/48 Kittyhawk RNZAF UH-1H and RNZN SH-2G

Hello from New Zealand.

I am not sure why I thought building these two Kittyhawk kits at the same time was a good idea, but here they are. The kits seemed to need plenty of extra work, but I am happy enough with the result overall. They just took ages.

I have fond memories of flying around Waiouru and East Timor in  the Iroquois years ago. I particularly enjoyed the low level flights while sitting on the edge, legs dangling out with what seemed to be only a flimsy canvas belt holding you in. Fun times!

I definitely miss seeing (and hearing) the old majestic Iroquois buzzing around NZ. 

Excuse the basic phone photos. Thanks for looking.

Josh

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 52
  • Thanks 2

Reminds me of  this. Featuring the Iroquois standing in for the A4. Very amusing and a  complete distortion of pilot egos, ahem. My skydiver colleagues found this video and never stopped taking the p, even making their own video featuring me.📹

Great job on those models too. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Very nice work on both. I have the SH-2G in the stash to do as one of the short-lived RAN SH-2G(A) aircraft; how did you find building it?

1 hour ago, noelh said:

Reminds me of  this.

One of the best videos I've ever seen and much talked about post-Timor! Congrats to the Kiwi pilots for taking the p!ss out of themselves (or their A-4 brothers).

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Bell209 said:

Very nice work on both. I have the SH-2G in the stash to do as one of the short-lived RAN SH-2G(A) aircraft; how did you find building it?

One of the best videos I've ever seen and much talked about post-Timor! Congrats to the Kiwi pilots for taking the p!ss out of themselves (or their A-4 brothers).

Thanks for the comments. The SH-2G build itself was so so. Plenty of test fitting and sanding as nothing goes together that well. Lots of filling required. The clear parts were the worst and need some work to fit. It had abnormally thick sprues for some reason. Worth it though as it is a unique kit. The short lived Aussie version will be cool to see. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, JBallsfromNZ said:

I definitely miss seeing (and hearing) the old majestic Iroquois buzzing around NZ. 

Hi Josh,

Really nice :thumbsup:

Agreed , definitely miss the distinctive "Wop Wop Wop" flying around/overhead.

Memorable moments for me, was an Iroquois getting ready for take off at RNZAF Wigram,

and the long flame that shot down the length of the tail boom when the pilot added the

fuel.

A Seasprite was doing Laps around Whenuapai this afternoon.

Thanks for sharing your builds with us

Regards

Alan

• 1 year later...

Hi Josh, amazing builds. I'm currently buying a few after market kits to help with my Kittyhawk UH-1H RNZAF 3 Sqn build. Just wanted to find out did you add any to your build? I served at 3 Sqn as a doorgunner in East Timor in 2000. Can I ask where you got the 1/48 scale Steyr?

Regards Daryl

• Like 1