Over-paid & over here - 453rd Museum P-38 Lightning; a build for recovery

Wow, that was close! I thought I heard some swearing yesterday… :D 

Looking very smooth on the underside Crisp - nice job.

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, general melchett said:

Close call there Crisp, we've all had those moments, always test before committing to plastic, I remember vividly finishing an S&M Avro Ashton for a magazine and picking up, what I thought was  an airbrush loaded with semi-matt varnish that turned out to be Dark Sea Grey, one blast across the wings showed me the error of my ways. To say the air was blue is an understatement! 

I dare say the Angels and Ministers of Grace learned an few new words to add to the vocabulary of "Things that must not be said" along with a new term for the occurrence .... Doin the Melchett!:wall:

• Haha 5

The chipping looks fantastic Crisp, appropriate to the scale -which is very difficult to achieve.

Oh man, 'reaction sludge' is about the worst thing to have to clean out of an airbrush, especially when  you're anxious to get on with painting a model! Nice save.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

A bit too much life getting in the way at present, but there has been some progress with the P-38.

Underside (already sprayed neutral grey):

51191315362_747ea75188_b.jpg

From above, first base coat:

51194927662_b7b7941e15_b.jpg

Tamiya acrylics.

More when I can

Crisp

• Like 20

Second coat - slightly lightened colour applied through an Uschi random splatter template thingy, though the difference may be too subtle; I’ll only really know when it’s all dry.

51198982415_a05b11f3cc_b.jpg

And the super-turbo-ninja-duper-chargers also finished by a misted coat of matt rust colour on top of the burned metal:

51198697404_e18c67bfa9_b.jpg

• Like 14

Final OD base coat, followed by a layer of very thin (1 paint : 15 thinners) light grey through an Uschi random template thingy, to break up the monotony of single colour and start reducing the “toy-like” appearance - though still lots of post-stickers oil-paint weathering to come.  Quite subtle (which is the idea), but definitely visible in this photo 

51201141480_3923dd7887_b.jpg

More soon

Crisp

• Like 13

So all this work with rivets, worn effects fluid and multiple coats… the question is, has it paid off?

I’m pretty happy!

51203305059_266e10c24e_b.jpg

This is the comparison I was after, and it will do me; real thing:

51159925913_320d1b688e_b.jpg

Little plastic thing:

51201819922_d6dbee9a67_b.jpg

Time to seal this and move to more conventional weathering, I think.

More soon

Crisp

• Like 20