Over-paid & over here - 453rd Museum P-38 Lightning; a build for recovery

In order to do what I want to do next, I need to deviate from Tamiya’s build order and get the cockpit finished early, so today working on the assorted radio etc. mundungus behind the pilot.  All a bit pristine at present; details and weathering to tone it down still to follow (the platform & rear bulkhead are glued, but the radios not yet).

51108541220_8dd1f61ca4_b.jpg

• Like 19

Hi Crisp

Really sorry to hear about your health scare, seems your in the mend now?
I gotta say your making a fab job of this, I know the Tamiya kit is very good but it still takes a modeller to finish it and once she’s done the museum will have a great addition to their collection. I gotta say I think it’s great what you, @CedB et all are doing, I wouldn’t have the time and to be honest I’d be be nervous of screwing it up!

Cheers

Iain

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I've just read about your medical setback Crisp, must of been very scary indeed but so glad that you're here to tell the story, let alone carry on with your build. Hope you're mending well?

Lovely progress and I'm feeling somewhat shameful that I haven't yet started the first of my 453rd builds, obviously we all know that modellers block is far worse than the little ticker playing games with it's rhythm 😂 

Take care,

Neil

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Very similar photo to yesterday, but after some placards & weathering to busy things up.  I thought briefly about wiring the radios up, but then thought better of it; the balance of effort vs visibility not worth it.

51112171248_5fdc957cee_b.jpg

And here with the rear canopy dry fitted (glue tomorrow).

51112262911_2363d4cfba_b.jpg

At the front end of the cockpit we do have glue; the windscreen is now fitted after some fiddly work with gun sights etc.

51112014099_d4cbbc88d5_b.jpg

But if you really want fiddly, then look no further than the HGW belts - of which I understand @Fritag is using the Spitfire equivalent in his build.  I’ve never used these before; they look great, but need a steady hand and some patience (& short sessions).  Here they are at the start (pre-windscreen fitting):

51111834178_e4eae898c8_b.jpg

...and here as at close of play:

51112878210_1b996de4f6_b.jpg

Once these are done I can fit the seat and button up the cockpit for priming.

More soon

Crisp

• Like 20

9 hours ago, hendie said:

the belts look good Crisp but they look a good deal fiddlier than anything I would like to attempt.

Same here.  I do hope you will succeed installing them, though - they 'd just be the icing on the cake, given your skilful paint job of the cockpit :clap:

Ciao 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I reserve the right to say “to Hell with them” and replace with a scuzzy set of barely-concealed Tamiya tape if my patience circuit breaker pops...

I used it once...

But Lord.... Can you only imagine the words that have been profered ...

Otherwise, It's the best looking seatbelts ever....

But....

Glad to hear that you're growing better....

And the clock seem to work fine now, is'nt it ?

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I reserve the right to say “to Hell with them” and replace with a scuzzy set of barely-concealed Tamiya tape if my patience circuit breaker pops...

Knowing you Crisp, your tape seatbelts would probably end up looking more realistic than the AM ones, and have working buckles!

The cockpit looks amazing by the way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Crikey Crisp, those HGW belts are pretty fiddly in 1/32 scale, I didn't even know they made them in 1/48; that's practically molecular manipulation! I note that they were at least good enough to provide some spare etched buckles :D Best of luck mate B)

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 2

On 07/04/2021 at 18:23, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Tamiya’s solution for the radiators is transfers/decals/stickers (delete to taste!):

51101624258_a4fc4cb6f8_b.jpg

Pretty effective, actually - especially when you consider how little you can see of them in the end:

Those are fantastic compared to what you get with the academy kit. Which is a big ‘ole into the void. 🤪 looking brilliant by the way. The radio and belts looks top drawer. 👏👏👏

Johnny

• Thanks 1

Hmm.  A rummage through my stash in search of something else has probably significantly changed the odds of the HGW belts reaching imminent fruition:

51114004546_d881fcec4b_b.jpg

Meanwhile, everything in the cockpit is now done except the seat (& belts) - seat & frame dry fitted here:

51113426602_0da393ae18_b.jpg 51113426597_954472a36f_b.jpg 51113759869_ede323dcec_b.jpg 51114783735_097d9e6517_b.jpg

I’m masking up the rest of the canopy framing, and then some real fun can begin...

• Like 21

The photo etched belts look likely to cause much less gnashing of teeth and swearing of oaths!

The build is coming along beautifully, the cockpit details are superbly done. I'm enjoying seeing this unfold. 

• Thanks 1

Belts done; Eduard won.  The seat is not as shiny as this photo makes it appear

51114989902_a3be864281_b.jpg

... but you’re going to have to take my word for it, since all is now buttoned up. Windscreen and rear section glued permanently; centre section will be open on my model (and the F & G had slightly different canopies anyway), so using the kit’s closed P-38G version - tacked in place with PVA - to act as a mask (but still trying to take no chances with the joins).

51115462588_45e46f52fc_b.jpg

Now the fun really starts!

• Like 17

the forward canopy design just makes so much sense I don't know why other manufacturers don't follow suit.   Adding some fuselage onto the canopy so that any sanding can be done well clear of the canopy makes thing so much easier

• Like 6