Over-paid & over here - 453rd Museum P-38 Lightning; a build for recovery

BUt I di have a quick question though, what size HGW rivets did you se in the Lightning? After seeing your attempt I ordered a set, they went on a lot easier than I expected, but when I applied a very thin coat of paint they disappeared. I have a feeling I may have gotten the wrong size.

• Like 1

On 05/08/2021 at 14:39, LorenSharp said:

BUt I di have a quick question though, what size HGW rivets did you se in the Lightning? After seeing your attempt I ordered a set, they went on a lot easier than I expected, but when I applied a very thin coat of paint they disappeared. I have a feeling I may have gotten the wrong size.

I think they would be 1/48. I used the same on my Lancaster build. The HGW rivets are very subtle beasts. They do just sort of vanish under paint, you can “just” about see them in the right light but apparently if you go over with some super fine grade sandpaper or stick it pings them out a little. I used some Zvezda ones on my 1/48 hind build and in my opinion they were a lot better if more difficult to apply.  Grrr bloody rivets. 😲🤩😩🤪🙌

Johnny

• Like 4

Ouch! Been there with the Achilles tendon myself, no fun whatsoever. You have my complete sympathy Crisp..

Martian 👽

• Thanks 1

Yes, they are 1/48 - HGW do a set specifically designed for this kit.  They are very subtle, but that’s what I wanted because they are in real life - and I definitely think they add something to the wing root weathering 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Holy Moley Crisp!!!  I am off the board for a while while we moved and when I come back I see nothing but carnage.  That is one of my most feared injuries ever.   Plus I saw no progress on the Ark Royal...

Get better soon mate and quit having accidents.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

A month on and no news, though you all know why; with the Massively Over-Engineered German Achilles’ Tendon Boot (MOEGATB) - known as Das Boot in our family, for obvious reasons - on, I cannot fit my legs comfortably under my work bench.

However, some good news: had orthopaedic follow-up on Friday and the Consultant is very pleased with progress.  The tendon has definitely re-grown of its own accord and is gradually growing in strength.  I should be able to sink Das Boot for good in c.2-3 weeks.

So re-starting this and Ark is not that far away again now; hoorah!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

However, some good news: had orthopaedic follow-up on Friday and the Consultant is very pleased with progress.  

That has to be good news Crisp! I hope your recovery continues to progress. Seeing the Ark and the P-38 back on track would feel like normality is returning!

Having watched other BM'ers take some medical hits over recent months, I've now succumbed myself, in the form of a mis-behaving left leg (it's been a right pain for years, but now decided to really cook off) caused by some rouge veins, and some dodgy digestive complaints in the gallbladder area. Left leg has been scanned and just awaiting a slot to have the rouge veins lasered. They used to strip them out but apparently lasering is the new cure, and far less trouble. I'll let you all know! The problem with the complaining gallbladder is that I had it removed about eight years ago, so they need to send a team inside (aka camera) to see what all the fuss is about. I did suggest to the doc that perhaps a bit had been left inside, to which he just laughed ................. 🤔

So apart from some minor aggro, my woes have fortunately not kept me from the bench like yours!

Terry

• Sad 5

9 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

The tendon has definitely re-grown of its own accord and is gradually growing in strength.

That is truly excellent news Crisp; you've had a tough time of it and must be chafing to head benchwards. Looking forward to more Ark larks in due course.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Crisp! Heal the heel and be happy. Thoughts and get-fixed vibes lobbed your way.

What about the rest of you lovely peops? Anyone else having a fun year?

There seems to be some commonality in our current approaches to modelling. My sitrep; carcinoma removal from calf leaving hole the size of a Bofors round requiring skin graft. No walking, elevation, blah blah blah... Now I too have Das Boot, so plan to be kicking aris soonish. Having a crack but not making much progress with the plastic fantastic either.

Lanchester-and-leg-reduced.jpg

Is this all part of aging (dis)gracefully?

True Medical Confessions huh?

I have been taking some cyanide based vit B12 supplement for some/many years to supplement a thyroid defici failure but  for a few months, during lock down and the like I have been having motivation and motorvation difficulties to the effect that to walk 115 yards (metric equivalents are available, but I don't like em so you get yards, right?) to the shop and or pub leaves me unfeasibly short of breath.

Saw the sawbones who (yes I saw him) said the cyano stuff wasn't working any more so he has put me on a course of injections, why am I telling you?

Because my left foot has swollen up in sympathy with Crisp, Tony and now Maginot, its a pandemic I reckon.

I could regale us all with medicrap events, it's OK I won't.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just yo warn you that I am finally capable of fitting my (bootless) foot under the bench again, so trying to remember where I’d got to…

The Ark build even has a photo; for aircraft, you’ll just have to take my word for it.

Crisp is still with us…

Stay tuned

• Like 7

Just yo warn you that I am finally capable of fitting my (bootless) foot under the bench again, so trying to remember where I’d got to…

The Ark build even has a photo; for aircraft, you’ll just have to take my word for it.

Crisp is still with us…

Stay tuned

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, heloman1 said:

Pingers Terry. ASW is not Jackspeak!

Ooops. Well at least I didn't refer to him as a Junglie, I think that might not have been wise either..........🤔

Terry

• Haha 2