Over-paid & over here - 453rd Museum P-38 Lightning; a build for recovery

Brilliant result Crisp.

I think many people misunderstand the intent of HGW rivets and that's why they get such a bad press.  Personally, I much prefer the HGW system as it looks way more realistic when done properly.

• Like 3

I’ll echo that too.  Looks they just about all stuck! Great job Crisp :clap2:

Like hendie I think the HGW system looks lifelike when done with patience and skill like this.  Subtle and realistic.  Better not be be too heavy handed with the subsequent paint tho’ - I’m sort of wondering if I’ll ever see the rivets again on the rear end of my Hawks, and they’ve only been primed.

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Even that needn’t be a problem, Steve.  As the General has already pointed out, the P-38 (unlike the Sea King!) was not obviously festooned with rivets, so if the paint makes the majority of them hard to discern unless you look closely, that will be fine.  

The eroded areas - notably the upper port wing root - are where they need to be more obvious.  The second of those two photos last night is the port upper wing root, so the place where I was most anxious for this to work!

• Like 4

Upper surfaces of both wings now complete except for the wing tips:

51126315891_0f5c7f8bc0_b.jpg

Port side of the nose:

51126228273_a49dbc3451_b.jpg

Under side tomorrow - then on to the booms.  Happy (even though these are a pig to photograph)!

C

• Like 21

Those look the dog's whatsits! Lovely job!

All together now...

I'm not a rivet counter, I'm a rivet counter's mate

I'm only counting rivets 'cos the rivet counter's late!

Ian

• Haha 6
  • Sad 1

The prep is fairly fiddly - but no worse than, say, preparing a surface for a NMF.  Once you’re ready, each section is a transfer, then careful checking to debubble completely, wait at least two hours, remove film.  So no biggie 

• Like 8

The fuselage and wings are now fully riveted, with the underside of the wing tips the final section (outer carrier film still in place here, hence shiny texture).  

51132102195_b68799d2c8_b.jpg

Next steps a) do the same for the booms & tail; b) seal the work so far with a very thin coat of Tamiya lacquer.

This photo neatly captures the HGW rivet system, which (as Hendie has observed) is widely misunderstood.  In most lights and from any kind of distance they are basically invisible - just like rivets on real aircraft.  But they are there and with careful work they allow some very realistic effects.  They’re work, but then so is covering an entire airframe with wee holes from a riveting wheel.

• Like 15

Tamiya LP-38 Flat Alumin(i)um in 3 misted coats:

51132597670_7e84c141da_b.jpg

Can you still see them?  Paging Bob the Builder...

51132597665_bf9857b021_b.jpg

And the booms after their Mr Surfacing:

51132597675_64149c3e26_b.jpg

Good progress (especially for me!)

Crisp

• Like 20

2 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

I would say not good progress, but excellent progress!

Terry

Agreed 100%! :clap: Rivets looking very effective under a metallic coat! 

Ciao

• Like 1