Over-paid & over here - 453rd Museum P-38 Lightning; a build for recovery

4 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Belts done; Eduard won.  The seat is not as shiny as this photo makes it appear

51114989902_a3be864281_b.jpg

Shiny or not I love the way that the light cascades over all those various surfaces in and around the cockpit Crisp.

• Like 5

The P-38 doesn’t do anything for me, I don’t know why, so I’ve not been following your build. This evening I decided to skim through the photos anyway and saw everyone wishing you a speedy recovery, which made me pay more attention. I would like to add my wishes for a speedy recovery to those already expressed.

Take it easy and enjoy the kits.

John

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 3/19/2021 at 7:56 PM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

mire speed

Planning not to get bogged down on this one then Crisp?   Actually - speed of progress to date seems to confirm this!

Edited by Fritag
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Fritag said:

:hmmm:Noted.  Don’t bode well - P’raps I’ll get some Eduard back ups n’all.........

I think the HGW belts will look fantastic when done, but I went for the lazier option... and in any case, I’m about to dive into more HGW goodness over other areas of the airframe...

• Like 2

In case anyone hasn’t twigged from my comments on the General’s P-38G/H builds (not to mention my history with rivets and Sea Kings), the after market to which I have been alluding is the dedicated full set of rivets for this kit produced by HGW.   

As I have said on numerous occasions already, this kit is superb, so why on Earth do I want to add rivets?  Well because I am aiming to reproduce something like the effect seen on this chap’s port wing...

51119725538_638e49952d_b.jpg

...and I think the best way to do that is with some proper raised rivets (as opposed to dents in the skin).  

The Sea King rivets were a complete saga, but that was because I had to design every single rivet (& there are literally thousands of them on Sikorsky / Westland’s masterpiece); in this case HGW have done it for me.  It’s impossible to photograph them before application, so here is a section of the instructions to give you a flavour.  Each colour represents a separate transfer (if you aren’t familiar with HGW’s system, all will become clear in due course):

51119721923_3d73b0182c_b.jpg

Again from my experience with the Queen of the Skies, I know that preparing the surface for application is completely critical, so today I have been spraying Mr Surfacer 1200:

51120299480_43ba1d416c_b.jpg

Though Mr S is brilliant stuff, I never find it easy to get the mix right for airbrushing, and will have to redo one wing after a horrible splodge/splutter at the start:

51119418053_713b89ca73_b.jpg

No big deal - it’s already off and will be re-sprayed tomorrow.  For the most part it has dried to a beautiful finish; next step is micro mesh and then the fun begins...

More soon

Crisp

• Like 16

Great progress Crisp, coming along nicely. I’ve noticed a few folks have opted to just rivet those inner wing areas and for good reason. To be honest looking at images there doesn’t seem to be a great preponderance of visible rivet detail over the rest of the airframe, especially with the Olive drab finish. Thanks for donating your services as a test mule, greatly appreciated.

• Haha 5

52 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

[successfully avoided riveting pun]

Superhuman self-control there Cookie.....

As for me - almost overwhelmed by a sense of deja vu - Crisp’n rivets.

It’s gonna be gripping (doesn’t count as a riveting pun cos it’s only a synonym :D)

• Haha 6
  • Confused 1

Really great looking build Crisp.  Unlike Ark Royal you are doing this before me, so I am going to shamelessly use your build thread to inform my own build. 

Are the PE seat belts really easier than the HPH ones?  I have done the HPH belts before and they are indeed a pain, but I have avoided the Eduard ones because I have always assumed they would be harder.  What I really like is a nice after market seat with molded on seat belts. 

It feels appropriate to comment on this thread today as I sit here eating my imported Cadbury Chocolate.  😋

• Haha 1

Mr Surfacer on Wings duly fixed.  Not the most thrilling of updates, but vital.

Agreed on the importance of the fix. Very neat job :clap:

Ciao

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, hendie said:

But definitely more thrilling than working on a Classic Airframes kit

I have at least two Classic Airframes kits in my stash (Sea Hornet & Gannet).  I think I’ve earned a top-notch state-of-the-art Tamiya masterpiece for now...

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

14 hours ago, hendie said:

But definitely more thrilling than working on a Classic Airframes kit

I have at least two Classic Airframes kits in my stash (Sea Hornet & Gannet).  I think I’ve earned a top-notch state-of-the-art Tamiya masterpiece for now...

Hmmm. I have a Supermarine Attacker and a Meteor FR9. Sounds like I have some challenges in my future!

Terry

• Like 1

For those of you not familiar with HGW’s system....

Having primed (in this case with Mr Surfacer 1200 via airbrush), micro mesh to a decent polish - you are, after all, about to apply transfers / decals:

51123312866_5828f1c34a_b.jpg

Hard to photograph, but not half as hard as Stage 2, which is to apply the transfers with assistance from Mr Mark Softer / Setter.  You need an Optivisor for this to position the rivets precisely, because at this point they are very hard to see with the naked eye... to the extent that I haven’t bothered to photograph the 4 I have applied (both upper wings inboard & outboard of the engine nacelles, but not yet the leading edges, ailerons or wing tips - Nos 2, 5, 6 & 8 on the instructions above).

Once you are happy that you’ve got as many bubbles etc out as possible (lots of careful work with cotton buds etc), Stage 3 is an act of faith. Do nothing; leave them completely alone for about 6 hours.

Stage 4 - the nerve-wracking but where you peel off the upper layer & hope it has all worked - to follow later!

• Like 14

Who'da thunk it. First press on nails, now press on rivets. And here I though technology reached it peak with microwave pizza and it was all down hill from there. 

• Haha 5

Yep, big success. The rivets look superb. I've been pondering rivets for one of my builds and wondering about the HGW decals. Think I'd better order some.

Richie