Over-paid & over here - 453rd Museum P-38 Lightning; a build for recovery

11 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

My single 1/32 Mustang

1/32??? You're such a show off!  :rofl: :rofl:

Can't wait to see that, Johnny!  :thumbsup:

Impressive job, Crisp! :clap: A great fitting kit is a good relief, sometimes :winkgrin:

Ciao 

• Like 3

They are working on the railway at the end of our street - normally inaudible because it is in a cutting, but not last night.  Wide awake at 2am, I did some modelling!

Not a rubbish Klingon Bird of Prey model, but the first of the 3 nose weights, sitting in the main spar and the lower half of the fuselage:

51074400733_20a2da1fb7_b.jpg

...and then both fuselage parts glued.  Seams barely visible:

51006555335_caeb3192ed_b.jpg

From above:

51075042538_0a67e3f967_b.jpg

Meanwhile I have started work on the P-51B - see other thread!

• Like 18

I’m going to enjoy seeing this come together, I yearn for one (or five!) of these kits. Plus, quite a noble mission. The museum is going to have quite the collection from you lot!

Hope you still have some room at the bar for me & my weak American beer! 🍻 

• Haha 2

One of the very few areas where this kit can definitely be improved is the guns.  Tamiya’s are styrene with decals for the cooling holes and, though no doubt that would work, you cannot beat some Master brass jobs (only remembered to photo after removing the longest Tamiya gun) - the barrels and cooling jackets are separate pieces, exquisitely turned by our Polish friends:

51090011299_88cf612e55_b.jpg

I’ve removed the Tamiya guns, drilled slots to fit the brass guns, and then fitted Tamiya’s base part inside the nose  - that way I can add the guns much later, simplifying painting & minimising risk.  That aside, it continues to be a story of exemplary engineering and stunning fit: this is just dry fitted...

51089938341_16ab0e39a1_b.jpg

Finally, the view you least wanted to see of a P-38 in your rear view mirror:

51090480283_527731476d_b.jpg

More soon

Crisp

• Like 20

Started masking up the canopy.  Guess what; it fits perfectly...

51097113667_e1978494be_b.jpg 51097113607_e78e3ea2c0_b.jpg

Then moved onto the starboard boom / undercarriage bay.  It is probably worth reminding you that this is 100% out of Tamiya’s box:

51097397972_6d9abfac1a_b.jpg 51097301546_790d3efcb9_b.jpg 51098106825_e90b3f91f9_b.jpg

The circular thing visible at the far (forward) end is to hold another anti-tail-sitter ball bearing.

Dry fitted (without ball bearing).  Ridiculously well engineered.

51097398017_4aebb62d5c_b.jpg

Tomorrow I might bring you exciting, heretical news.  Shhh.  After market.  Long term Crisp followers might be able to guess what it... or they... might be...

A domani 

Crisp

• Like 21

I’m late to the shindig Crisp, good to hear you are mending not good to hear you had a heart attack! That’s terrible news.

this is already looking great! I do like a P-38 and this kit looks outstanding, so in your hand will be a cracker.

hopefully my B-17F will touch down any day now, very much looking forward to getting started! I’ve also said I’ll give Jim my resent B-17G ‘Mah Ideel’ as it was part of the mighty 8th.

Rob

• Like 6

Great stuff Crisp - I'm hoping my Jug goes together half as well when I start it :) 

36 minutes ago, rob85 said:

I’ve also said I’ll give Jim my resent B-17G ‘Mah Ideel’ as it was part of the mighty 8th.

Top man Rob - very kind of you :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Very late to this party too, it seems to be my modus operandi of late recently. I was shocked to hear of your health woes Crisp, a right bugger, hopefully you'll be well on the up by now if not back at work  :unsure: Though this is not my scale, I've enjoyed watching progress to now, a super kit with some super work going into it. I'm impressed.

Take care mate.

Steve.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Blimey!

I dont think I ever saw a better example of 'so well designed that adding to it might ruin it' in my time.

Lovely work too Crisp.

What comes next? Whisky? Tea and crumpet(s)?

Not sure but I bet it's metallic additional to the metal weights...

I love it.

And it isnt jet propelled with rotor blades, I must be coming down with summat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I've been remarkably delinquent in not posting sooner on this thread. I've managed a few quick glimpses but life keeps getting in the way.

Wonderful stuff Crisp.  Try not to finish it before I get back again

• Thanks 1

Tamiya’s solution for the radiators is transfers/decals/stickers (delete to taste!):

51101624258_a4fc4cb6f8_b.jpg

Pretty effective, actually - especially when you consider how little you can see of them in the end:

51101161634_8e29570041_b.jpg

[The crude hacking in the slot for the supercharger seen in the foreground is to accommodate some resin ‘chargers - though Tamiya’s are pretty decent, these things are so prominent that some Quickboost replacements seem warranted... though they’re not the AM stuff I was talking about yesterday].

The oil coolers are similarly nicely done / hard to see - painted styrene in this instance:

51101176127_a99d9605cd_b.jpg

Finally for today, the starboard boom is now glued together, but not yet to the wing:

51101883220_a2d2d36e21_b.jpg

More soon

Crisp

• Like 12