Over-paid & over here - 453rd Museum P-38 Lightning; a build for recovery

I blame @Procopius and @Cookenbacher.  And @CedB

In what feels like a very different world, c.2 years ago, 2 young(-ish) Americans well known to this community came to visit the UK.  They visited a truly epic number of air museums in a short time, met many of us at Telford and/or some of the museums, and generally appeared to have a blast.  As far as I am aware there was no direct evidence of their being over-sexed, but they lived admirably up to the example of their ancestors 75 years ago by being over-paid and over here.

One of the museums they visited was at Old Buckenham, SW of Norwich, dedicated to the 453rd Bombardment Group USAAF during WW2... and they got talking to the curator, who reckoned he could use some more models.  Many emails and 18 months later, several of their BM friends found large parcels arriving; somehow all those years in the Navy and the instinct never to volunteer for anything... wasted.  What was I thinking?

[All joking aside, it is an honour to pay tribute to those young men so far from home.  No, not Edward and Cookie; the proper heroes.]

So I find myself building not just one aircraft miles out of my comfort zone... but 3.  The idea is the Museum provide the kits; we do the building.  You’ll see other BM 453rd-ers appearing in the coming weeks - it’s kind of like a weird group build.  I’ll document all 3 of my builds on here, and no doubt others will do the same.

Closer to home, though, there are other reasons for this.  Many of you already know that completely out of the blue I had a heart attack on 6 March, while out walking the dog on the downs near Salisbury.  It was very, very scary, but I managed to avoid meeting that nice Mr Reaper quite yet.  10 days on and I am still pretty weak and lack stamina (quiet in the cheap seats!), but off work for a few weeks.  So I need something to do.  My Ark build will continue in parallel, but I feel like something self-contained; the plan is for this to be pretty quick, especially by my standards - this is a celebration of still being here!

It has to be said that I’ve wangled 3 corkers, all in 1/48 (so at least some of my comfort zone remains intact): the Eduard P-51D, Tamiya P-51B and, up first... the Tamiya P-38F/G.  Every review I’ve seen of this kit since it was released in 2019 has positively drooled, so I’m pretty excited about building it.

I am by no stretch of the imagination an expert on either the Lightning or the Mustang; if you are and you see me about to make a howler, then feel free to tell me!  I have the kit itself, and Jim (the Museum curator) is sending me sone after-market stuff... including the markings, so I cannot yet tell you exactly which airframe this will be...other than that it will be a P-38 of the 479th Fighter Group, based at Wattisham.

OK, enough rabbiting on; the kit and the obligatory photos of the box and its contents.  Even on initial inspection I can see why everyone raves about it; beautifully moulded, and some really ingenious engineering.

51049850386_42c88fb7c2_b.jpg

Runner A

Runner B

Runner C

Runners D & E

Runner F

Runner G

Runner H

...and the proof that Tamiya engineering is ridiculously good; no tail-sitters here:

The Balls!

The game’s afoot.

More soon

Crisp

• Like 44

I'm so glad you're making a successful recovery Crisp, and that you already feel up to taking part in this project. I believe my sentiments on the subject are best summed up by this grateful fellow.

Overpaid? Probably. Oversexed? I wish. Over here? Yes, and all the better for it, and wish to return at the first opportunity.

The visit to Old Buckenham could almost be considered a pilgrimage - PC's great-uncle flew B-24's with the 453rd BG, and my grandfather flew B-24's with the 466th BG based nearby at Attlebridge and crash-landed (more crashed than landed) near Shipdham.  Jim opened his archives to us and there were photos of our relatives we had never seen before, and he gave me a book that contains a very nice section about my grandfather and his crew. Memorable indeed.

I too have only heard wonderful things about this kit, and I hope it lives up to its reputation, I'll definitely be fallowing along.

- Cookie

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Crisp,

Good to hear that you are on the mend - good luck with the builds! Will watch with interest,

Cheers,

Roger

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

The game’s afoot.

This has started already, great! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

How come you've already received your kits, though?  :hmmm:

Wait,  I get it: you live on the same island where the Museum is....  :D

Following... :popcorn:  :beer:

Ciao 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Crisp, I didn't hear about your heart attack. The important thing is that you came out the other side. 

You will be weak for a while, but be positive. You're still waking up in the morning. Better than the alternative.

They may offer stents or a bypass. I've had both. The second option will last longer. Positive vibes, Baby!

I was invited to join in with these builds, but I was rather unwell at the time (Not cardio related) and it just got worse.
Therefore I had to decline, though I did feel honoured to be asked to join in the tribute to those brave boys.

It will be a while before I'm back to modelling, so I will take a comfy seat and watch from near the medicine cabinet.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

52 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Crisp, I didn't hear about your heart attack. The important thing is that you came out the other side. 

You will be weak for a while, but be positive. You're still waking up in the morning. Better than the alternative.

They may offer stents or a bypass. I've had both. The second option will last longer. Positive vibes, BabyI

Already done; stent fitted a couple of days after the event.  I am extremely positive; the long-term prognosis is very good, & in any case I have well & truly dodged a bullet.  If that’s not a cause for positivity, then nothing is!

• Like 13

9 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

The visit to Old Buckenham could almost be considered a pilgrimage - PC's great-uncle flew B-24's with the 453rd BG, and my grandfather flew B-24's with the 466th BG based nearby at Attlebridge and crash-landed (more crashed than landed) near Shipdham.  Jim opened his archives to us and there were photos of our relatives we had never seen before, and he gave me a book that contains a very nice section about my grandfather and his crew. Memorable indeed.

Let's not forget the part where we drove around the general area your grandfather brought the Liberator down, with Ced leaning out the car window and asking bemused locals of a certain age if they recalled where the American bomber had crashed.

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

@Ex-FAAWAFU Sorry to hear you've not been well but great news you're on the upward slope.

I love the purpose of this thread and look forward to watching you bring these three to life in tribute

Stay safe              Roger

• Thanks 1

Crisp I love the choices Jim made for you, I know he chose wisely.

I am watching from the security of my own fireside whilst you prepare museum quality models for a great museum, I'll visit that later when the heat is off our world.

Comfy chair in use thanks for asking, who has the pop corn?

• Like 6

Er.

Only one half rudder?

What have I missed?

I have the brilliant wing and fuselage one piece upper.

Then tanks and oddments-a-lot then one piece of a rudder in one of the gates.

I hope you just forgot to add-a-gate, or will it be time for a parts department call?

• Like 1

Hello Sailor !!

Nothing bad to do some crab's cab from time to time !!

Really sad about your health problem !

But glad that you overcome it, take care man !!

I nearly missed the same problem around the 5th of March

And I think that I'll need stents too in a not so far future...

We'll see !!

Meeting the Murcan gang in Telford has been a pleasure indeed...

And all the other fellow modellers of course !!

Ok, I'll take a seat at the bar, near the Guiness taps...

6 hours ago, Procopius said:

Let's not forget the part where we drove around the general area your grandfather brought the Liberator down, with Ced leaning out the car window and asking bemused locals of a certain age if they recalled where the American bomber had crashed.

Of course, it's the way to do when you search foe a crash site

Second option is to go at the bar....

Everything can found or known in bars...

16 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Yes, and all the better for it, and wish to return at the first opportunity.

- Cookie

Hello Cookie !!

I hope so !! Call on me for more rocket fuel lunacies...

CC

• Like 5

Hope you're recovering quickly Crisp, nasty experience. Jim also sent me a couple of these beauties to build for the museum, must admit, while not a subject I'd normally touch it's a very well designed kit, I can understand the rave reviews. Also waiting for info from Jim on which aircraft he wants done, it may be a good idea to co-ordinate, to avoid duplication. Let battle commence, weathering sets at the ready...

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, general melchett said:

Hope you're recovering quickly Crisp, nasty experience. Jim also sent me a couple of these beauties to build for the museum, must admit, while not a subject I'd normally touch it's a very well designed kit, I can understand the rave reviews. Also waiting for info from Jim on which aircraft he wants done, it may be a good idea to co-ordinate, to avoid duplication. Let battle commence, weathering sets at the ready...

Totally agreed !!

It's a great idea from the museum curator !!

I can't wait to see both kits together !!

I hope that pics will be published !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

A worthy cause indeed and I'm sure it will be a help to your recovery. During my time in Florida I got introduced to a good friend of a girl I was dating at the time. He was a B17 pilot, shot down in '44 and spent a year in Stalag Luft 3. When he passed we found his camp sketchbook, a large nail mounted in a frame, and a 1916 pattern Luger, all from his time there. He spent the last couple of weeks of his life in hospital after a car accident but flatly refused to stay in a room without windows - too many memories of his time in solitary confinement.

He rejoined after the war and flew Sabres. I still have his pilot's licence and medical.

Carry on!

Ian

• Like 8

5 hours ago, perdu said:

Er.

Only one half rudder?

What have I missed?

I have the brilliant wing and fuselage one piece upper.

Then tanks and oddments-a-lot then one piece of a rudder in one of the gates.

I hope you just forgot to add-a-gate, or will it be time for a parts department call?

Don’t panic, Bill; one of the runners is duplicated, but I reckoned you didn’t need to see it twice!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, general melchett said:

Whisper it quietly, but I think there might be a problem - at least with mine. Jim has definitely said he wants a 479th FS cab, but my limited research thus far reckons they didn’t fly any P-38 earlier than the J from the UK.  I have sought advice from Jim!  Whatever happens this kit will be built (even if only for my fun) - but if I’m right, this one for the Museum will have to be an Academy or Hasegawa P-38J, which won’t be half as much fun (though I note that Robin Olds’ first few kills were in a 479th FS P-38J... and there are AM decals available...)

Meantime, there has been work but little of great photographic note to show you.  Since I’ll be doing all sorts of non-standard Crispery here, I’ve taken the opportunity to try out Tamiya’s Lacquers - specifically LP-11, to save all the faff of decanting AS-12 from a rattle can. 

[Georgio, you can relax; this build has actually started with paint!]

Thus far, though it’s hard to photograph, I’m impressed!

51052032808_ebf92107ee_b.jpg 51052764401_ea26e7428e_b.jpg

And while we’re whispering quietly, if my research is right (Squadron/Signal Walkround), then Tamiya’s instructions to paint the wheel bays in silver are based on a restored / museum airframe; some do seem to have ended up in aluminium (aluminum, I guess, being American), but the book is adamant that the factory spec was yellow chromate - which I have to say would make more sense.

Quite a lot of this LP-11 coat is destined to have chipped Interior Green and/or Yellow Chromate over it anyway, so nothing lost.

More soon

Crisp

• Like 15
  • Haha 1

Please feel free to share these with the museum if you like. I have no idea which squadron Andy was with but would love to get more info!

51052855606_ba2351c8a8.jpg

51052124163_ede46fcda4.jpg

51052855711_8e3954e1a8.jpg

Ian

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Georgio, you can relax; this build has actually started with paint!

Actually, that was quite breathtaking! :D :D

Ciao

• Haha 2

Edit - especially for @general melchett - my pesky research was right about 479th only flying the J in Europe.  However, Jim has come up trumps; this will be built as a P-38F of the 1st Fighter Group, who were temporarily with the 8th Air Force while based at RAF Ibsley... just down the road from me 48th Fighter Squadron of the 14th Fighter Group... because there’s a set of Xtradecals covering this precise combination, and since I am aiming for significantly mire speed than my normal discursive, über-detailing, mega-research style, the convenience has won!

• Like 9

Paint? Already?

What is the world coming to?

I drive around Norfolk a lot, and am always amazed at the number of old airfields there are. It does make me wonder how they managed to land at the right one sometimes.

A good project to recuperate with Crisp. 

• Haha 1