Vosper 72'6" MTB 77 1/35 scale, produced by Italeri, built by me.

@Arjan always has the best pictures, great colour shot, though in the cleat photo the lifebuoy looks pretty white to me.  However, I stand corrected re the introduction of Orange, thanks for that.  Note also the rust coloured depth charge, interesting :hmmm:maybe its a Canadian thing....

• Like 1

Hi Steve, Dimitri is right it is indeed hard to predict colours from black and white pics. I assume nowadays there are computer programs which can translate black and white pics into colorized ones. Some more colour pics of the 29th MGB Flotilla :

OYYlju8.jpg

More colour pics can be found here (scroll down):

http://silverhawkauthor.com/royal-canadian-navy-rcn-19391945-motor-torpedo-boats-mtb-motor-gun-boats-mgb-and-fairmile-motor-launches_944.html

Regards,

Arjan

Edited by Arjan
  • Like 2

I've seen color photographs of old ships. But in the museum I saw parts of this ship, in a different color. It turned out that the photo was first black and white, and then it was colored.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve D said:

Note also the rust coloured depth charge, interesting :hmmm:maybe its a Canadian thing....

Steve.
I’m wondering if the ‘rust coloured DC’ is actually painted in ‘red lead’. 
Jon

1 hour ago, Steve D said:

though in the cleat photo the lifebuoy looks pretty white to me.  

Maybe the circles were white, or maybe they weren't...

There were bad times when color photography was not yet available, and painters had already stopped painting ships. 🙂

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

As I’m thinking of ‘weathering’ this boat, do I need to give it a coat of ‘Klear’ before I apply any washes ? Weathering is not something I’m familiar with.

Jon

19 minutes ago, Faraway said:

‘rust coloured DC’ is actually painted in ‘red lead’. 

Jon

It could be, though I'm guessing that would look more red than brown.  I don't know what colour they came with from the factory though in the past I'd assumed black.  Some pictures I've seen they are painted to match the camouflage flowing up from the hull, as ever, speculation is easy and the truth variable.

Re the washes, there are better people on this forum than me on the subject.  In the past, I've applied a clear coat to even things up before weathering but I don't know if that is best practice.  Looking at that head -on shot Arjan posted, its interesting to see the bow waterline olive green algae build up.  That's an effect I applied to the Schnellboot, on top of oily deposit from mooring in the pens  Also, watch applying rust streaks to timber hulls....

Steve

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Steve D said:

Also, watch applying rust streaks to timber hulls....

Steve.

Thanks for the reminder about the wooden hull, a lot of the deck was also wooden I believe.

Jon

Wheelhouse and flying bridge fitted, bit of cleaning up to do. I painted the lifebelts completely white and then two of the sections over painted with X-26 Clear Orange.

Jon

p?i=e594b6bb0ac639ece6a64028e4aa0624

p?i=925f86247d08163cd9df6a479c2c2fea

p?i=820f44b48acd955da4ab24a80b158bda

p?i=3d5813e10a6aed1f0bceae1af40e03c4

p?i=144a3ee7c3a9a033a5777a4af73d2525

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Steve D said:

Good compromise

Steve.

It’ll look better once I ‘dirty’ it up a bit, it’s a bit bright at the mo’.

Jon

This will help me when I start mine. It will be a display model as well. I think it will be too small for RC. I plan to do 378 because I have a photo of it in my S-boot book. This shows it has a Oerikon on the fore deck which will allow me to use the one that came with the S-boot kit. I just need to scratch build a shield and most likely a few bits and pieces. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Greg Law said:

This will help me when I start mine. It will be a display model as well. I think it will be too small for RC. I plan to do 378 because I have a photo of it in my S-boot book. This shows it has a Oerikon on the fore deck which will allow me to use the one that came with the S-boot kit. I just need to scratch build a shield and most likely a few bits and pieces. 

The Vosper model is indeed a bit too small and heavy to build as a realistic rc model. That is to say, with two or three working motors , prop shafts and rudders. It is possible to make an rc conversion but then something like this is advisable :

https://www.modelboats.co.uk/news/article/plastic-magic-vosper-mtb-77/16930

Greg, MTB 378 was an American built lend-lease Vosper from a late batch. There are lots of differences with the type of Vosper that can be built from the Italeri kit, converting MTB 77 into MTB 378 is an awful lot of work (I know it because I did it ......) :

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235047192-radar-mtb-378/

Regards,

Arjan

Edited by Arjan
  • Like 1

Looking at Arjan's pic of 460 broadside, You'd think there was 3 colours on the hull until you take shadow into account.

Just thinking how easy it'd be to misinterpret B&W photos on large ships and assign too many colours to a camouflage scheme.

Tom

• Like 2

Hi Jon, in answer to your query a few entries back, I'd definitley coat with a layer of "Klear".  It will protect the paint either acrylic or enamel from lifting.  If you re using enamel - it's a must as oils or white spirit based weathing agents will definitely lift the paint.  I spray lightly withthe Klear for a couple of coats which leaves a semi-satin surface rather than full on gloss.  I rarely matt varnish my models after, especially if they are "metal hulls", which of course MTBs weren't.

All looking really good

Rob

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

Hi Jon, in answer to your query a few entries back, I'd definitley coat with a layer of "Klear".  It will protect the paint either acrylic or enamel from lifting.  If you re using enamel - it's a must as oils or white spirit based weathing agents will definitely lift the paint.  i spray lightly withthe Klear for a couple of coats which leaves a semi-satin surface rather than full on gloss.  I rearly matt varnish my dels after especially if they are "metal hulls", which of course MTBs weren't.

All looking really good

Rob

Rob.

I used ‘Klear’ inside the flying bridge, and then applied a wash of ‘grime’, when dry wiped it off and it stayed in the grooves, joins and corners. Not too obvious, but then the boat is Royal Navy and they did keep them clean. 
Jon

• Like 1

Crewman has been down the pub,(remember those days ?????)  but is at action stations now.

Jon

p?i=97d275c32a19bfef3aa1458b22679f48

p?i=d07a3bc625fa72ebd1d4c56645e34596

I've assembled the torpedo tubes (no torpedos yet) and dry fitted them to the deck. A few more bit to assemble and then spray them.

p?i=2c4b789361eafa00b0a72cf8f90ca240

Edited by Faraway
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Modelholic said:

Could you elevate to .50's slightly to align with his sight line?

Tom

They are not fixed yet. Still WIP.

Jon

• Like 1

Good Afternoon folks.

I've fixed the deck to the hull and attached the propellers and rudders. And I've done a bit of rust affects, still learning how to do the weathering thing.

I have a question, see further down 👇

Jon

p?i=f24a377d0656f57a4c857d655e4b9952

p?i=77e5f1ad3927650eb554107bdac67047

p?i=3c90a587e462e37f189919af63be6283

Now, to my question.

Does anyone know what this is ?

I think it might be a compressor and that the three bits I've ringed are dials. If so, I think they should have some sort of detail.

Am I right ?

Jon

p?i=3710ba8fb1c445e684dbd2a9624855e5

• Like 1

Jon, the object is a so-called CSA (Chemical Smoke-producing Apparatus) or smoke generator. I think the round parts were hand wheels rather than gauges but I'm not sure. One of the best images I could find :

X8iF307.png

Regards,

Arjan

Edited by Arjan
  • Like 2