Vosper 72'6" MTB 77 1/35 scale, produced by Italeri, built by me.

1 hour ago, Steve D said:

I'll build it once I have the room ready and post the thread here...

Steve.

I’ll look forward to that. Wish I had the skill (and tools) to build in wood, I always look at wooden kits with envious eyes. 
Jon

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Faraway said:

I always look at wooden kits with envious eyes.

They are really not hard, not to worry.  I plan to design is double diagonal planked in 1/64th ply, we'll see how that goes :hmmm:means no plank tapering

Cheers

Steve

3 hours ago, Steve D said:

I plan to design is double diagonal planked in 1/64th ply, we'll see how that goes :hmmm:means no plank tapering

Steve.

Absolutely no idea what you are on about 😳but it does sound like fun. Your place or mine, I’ll bring the wine. 🥳🥳🥳🥳

Another sunny day here and crewman number three.

I looked into tin hat colour, and discovered that could be green (this one), blue, black or grey.

Jon

p?i=52d6da62c27b6ee2d56d29dda4c77ff7

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

Nice work on the figures

Rob

Rob.

They’re ok, could be a lot better, and not a patch on what I used to paint. But they will serve, once they are on the boat.

Jon

Crewman number four. Complete with yellow surfboard, sorry @PF Naughton I couldn't resist :giggle:

These figures of mine, do look better from a distance................honest.

Jon

p?i=d7ad2c4cef92d0ccdb095f3204620a56

Edited by Faraway
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Good Afternoon shipmates.

I thought I'd have a break from making little people and make a start on the boat itself.

So, I've painted the hull with 507C grey, this colour I will also use for the superstructure and some of the deck fittings.

Below the waterline it is black.

The deck is painted with B5 blue and the walkways with 507A. I had no idea what these numbers meant a few days ago, it's amazing what you learn whilst doing this hobby.

Many thanks to @robgizlu for pointing me on the right heading (my use of nautical phrases could become tedious :rofl:) and for telling me about the MTB book (https://www.bookworldws.co.uk/product/coastal-craft-history-volume-1-vosper-motor-torpedo-boats/), so many ideas, I'm already having thoughts of a Gunboat version, but don't tell my credit card or my wife. 

Anyway, the portholes are glazed, both in the hull and deck and I'm going to make a start on there deck fittings.

I've not fixed the deck to the hull yet, it might be easier to fit most things to it while it's separate.

Off this splice the mainbrace (see what I mean) hopefully back tomorrow with more progress.

One question has just strung to mind, what is the colour of the cabins/wheelhouse interior, am I right in assuming white ?

Jon.

p?i=787b7095f249874016a9598c27c93976

p?i=cee5bbf58134abdcda60c3b34137e9e7

p?i=44d39532916ddc124294b45c5de9b6dd

p?i=1061d280546a4920285957b3ba63e4d4

p?i=be28493a691f49e4535fc9f284ab97ea

• Like 3

Hi Jon

The few pictures of the insides of cabins etc suggest they were white.

Sorry to cause such mischief ;)

All the "Big Boys" here did the same to me not so long ago

Hull looks great BTW

Rob

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

The few pictures of the insides of cabins etc suggest they were white.

Rob.

That is my feeling, although perhaps not a brilliant white. I was thinking maybe the sort off white I painted the corvette with.

Jon

15 hours ago, Faraway said:

I was thinking maybe the sort off white

I believe RN WW2 white was a sort of very pale cream, certainly not the brilliant white we see today or very pale grey.  I've mixed my own with white plus a few drops of cream

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Steve D said:

I believe RN WW2 white was a sort of very pale cream, certainly not the brilliant white we see today or very pale grey.  I've mixed my own with white plus a few drops of cream

Steve.

I believe the white is called Semtex White, as you say it’s a very pale cream. I used it to paint my HMCS Snowberry, so as I have a pot I’ll use that.

Jon

• Like 1

Bit slow over the weekend, as I've turned my 3rd bedroom into a work room. So I've more room to fill up with everything I don't throw away. As a result not much building was done, but I've added a couple of ventilators etc to the fore-deck and started the internal detail of the wheel-house, which I finished today, the detail in here will only be able to be viewed through a slightly open door from the bridge and through the windows. I've found  photos of the wheel-house on several MTB's and they are all slightly different, some with a wooden shelf and some painted a variety of colours, but I thought wood was the more attractive, so wood it is.

Also, the kit instructions would have me paint the fire extinguisher in here, red, but I'm pretty sure it would have been brass, so.....

Jon

p?i=df9c8ad654c3596e9de95c2034cbb48d

p?i=1b5fbe1f5afc9be0e80de2890f993cc2

p?i=a61a4b51d88be1916c560db04064dabf

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Faraway said:

I'm pretty sure it would have been brass

For the future, my understanding is that shiny stuff was reserved for peacetime, in wartime they painted things, no time to polish.  Also, shiny stuff on deck reflects light and gives away your location at night, bad karma....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Steve D said:

For the future, my understanding is that shiny stuff was reserved for peacetime, in wartime they painted things, no time to polish.  Also, shiny stuff on deck reflects light and gives away your location at night, bad karma....

You are probably right.

But, as it is very difficult to see the wood in the wheel-house the finish stays. The fire extinguisher would have been brass, certainly not red and as that is also in the wheel-house the finish stays.

This build might not be 100% accurate with regards colour schemes, but there will be no 'shiny stuff' on deck, have no fear.

Jon

30 minutes ago, Faraway said:

there will be no 'shiny stuff' on deck, have no fear

No criticism intended Jon, just sharing thoughts. 

Colour schemes are all made up, no matter how much we kid ourselves we have exactly the right shade of blue/grey.....  Real boats were dirty, washed out, salt covered, scarred, touched up, rusty, with weed on the waterline and the decks looked totally different when wet than when dry,  And that's before we get into the debate about scale impacting colour and level of sheen....

Personally, I've never been able to bring myself to paint the ships bell, they look too nice in brass  :banghead:

Cheers

Steve

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Steve D said:

No criticism intended Jon, just sharing thoughts. 

Steve.

I  never, for one moment, considered your comment as criticism. I welcome all comments, and do agree that no matter how hard we try, we probably never get ‘it right’ especially when you consider most of the information we have is black and white photos.

Jon

• Like 1

Been enjoying the sun today, so not much done. But I have two questions.....

1 Does anyone know what colour the lifebelts were ?

2 What are these ? I think they are something do with the signal halyards.

If so do I drill them out, so as to attach said halyards ?

Jon

p?i=2fc699cd0add4849854cf671efa302df

1 hour ago, Faraway said:

colour the lifebelts were

Lifebuoys were I believe mostly dirty white linen covered.  Some pictures show them quartered in orange/red (I believe), but most of the pictures of MTB's I have they are all one colour.  The dark orange is a post-war thing I think, though I'm happy to be corrected

Cheers

Steve

2 hours ago, Steve D said:

The dark orange is a post-war thing I think, though I'm happy to be corrected

It is very difficult to understand the color from black-and-white photos. Only objects in museums can give an accurate idea of color. 🙄

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Arjan said:

The fittings are cleats :

18 minutes ago, Arjan said:

RCN MGB 460 (1944) :

Arjan.

Thank you for this help.

Cleats.

The photo of the cleats makes the moulding make sense, it’s the metal cleat with a simulation of wire/rope, I’ll drill a hole to attach the wire/rope.

Lifebelts.

So far there is a multitude of colours, some are total white, some are red/white, some are orange/white, some are grey, and in your photo they are orange/red. 
I’ll sleep on it.

Jon

Edited by Faraway