Irish Air Corps Dauphin SA356

Just finished this 1/48 Kitty Hawk SA 356 Dauphin. Though the kit didn't represent the authentic version used by the Irish Air Corps I decided to display her as one anyway.

I had to add a few bits from the spares box also.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 30

David 

That is a really sweet Dauphin. You did a great job in it. I dont suppose you have any photos of the underside ? 

I would be interested in your experience with the Kittyhawk kit.

cheers 

Brian 

• Like 1

That's an absolute beauty David very well done always nice to see a Corps helicopter on here you've captured her beautifully  👏

When they first arrived it was a long running saga at a model stall in central Dublin as to the correct shade of grey  on the fuselage went on for months 😄

thanks for sharing

Eamonn

• Like 1

21 hours ago, noelh said:

Very nice indeed. The Dauphin was a very familiar sight for me for years as I used to work right beside Baldonnel. 

You done a great job of it. 

Cheers Noel, Yes I used to live and work in Clondalkin and would see these and the Silver Swallows quite regular. Thanks for the comment. 

David 👍

20 hours ago, swralph said:

Lovely build David.😀

Thank you Ralph 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, redleader said:

Lovely Chopper! Did the kit behave? (Kitty Hawk has had some mixed comments). Were the Irish decals included?

Thank you very much. The kit was great in parts and terrible in others, now mind you it may have been my fault. But I found the cockpit glass & doors to be very poor fit. I used plastic card and filler to fill the gaps. The Irish decals were not included, I sourced these from a company called "Max Decals"

18 hours ago, tonyot said:

Very nice indeed,.... it looks excellent,....... did you use the correct shade of grey?😉

Cheers

Tony

Cheers Tony, I hope I followed the instructions for the grey. A friend of mine gave me the breakdown of % and colours. The shade of grey used by the IAC is not available off the shelf in model stores. I think it looks a bit brighter in photographs Ive seen, but i'm told my mix looks ok. If not please let me know and I can take it on board (forgive the pun) for future builds.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BKirwan said:

David 

That is a really sweet Dauphin. You did a great job in it. I dont suppose you have any photos of the underside ? 

I would be interested in your experience with the Kittyhawk kit.

cheers 

Brian 

Thank you Brian, as of yet I have none of the underside but will take some later. As on previous posts, the kit was ok. I had a good few fit problems and they could have been mine. I did take the whole cockpit section apart and rebuild on 2 occasions  and still had the same fit problems. Maybe i made an error prior and was causing these problems. But I was happy with it when finished.

15 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

Excellent Dauphin from all angles!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thank you so much for the comment Joachim.

Cheers, David.

15 hours ago, Modelling Padre said:

Great to see a helicopter and especially one so well finished as this.

Thank you very much, I really appreciate the comment,

David 👍

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bell209 said:

Look like a nicer kit than the Trumpeter version I have in my stash - nice job!

Thank you Rob,

I haven't seen the Trumpeter kit but I believe it also is not authentic to the version used by the Irish Air Corps. The tail section is completely different. The rear doors on the Kitty Hawk kit are also incorrect as the IAC version are closed flat. I decided to continue anyway as its only for a bit of Craic as we say! 🤣

Cheers David!

9 hours ago, Team Aer Lingus said:

That's an absolute beauty David very well done always nice to see a Corps helicopter on here you've captured her beautifully  👏

When they first arrived it was a long running saga at a model stall in central Dublin as to the correct shade of grey  on the fuselage went on for months 😄

thanks for sharing

Eamonn

Thank you Eamonn, would that central Dublin model shop have the mane "Marks" in its title? A friend gave me a list of colours and % of paint to use to get the colour. I hope I have it right, but I still think mine is a little dark compared to photos of the original machines.

David

• Thanks 1

Hi David

Sadly no it wasn't the legend that is "Marks",  way back in the day (mid late 80's) there were a number of model shops in DUB.  The stall was in Mother Redcaps near Christchurch called the Modellers Nook , we also had the Modellers Den in the Post Office beside Virgin Megastore and Leinster Models had a great selection of old Frog/Airfix along with their railway stuff in Phibsboro. 

Some great characters back in the day and a lot of fun. The colours saga on the Dauphin fuselage went on for months everyone had a different opinion & every weekend it came up for discussion nearly as bad as Seafire Green 😉

I think you have captured her very well well even with the limitations of the base kit kudos to you 

E.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Team Aer Lingus said:

Hi David

Sadly no it wasn't the legend that is "Marks",  way back in the day (mid late 80's) there were a number of model shops in DUB.  The stall was in Mother Redcaps near Christchurch called the Modellers Nook , we also had the Modellers Den in the Post Office beside Virgin Megastore and Leinster Models had a great selection of old Frog/Airfix along with their railway stuff in Phibsboro. 

Some great characters back in the day and a lot of fun. The colours saga on the Dauphin fuselage went on for months everyone had a different opinion & every weekend it came up for discussion nearly as bad as Seafire Green 😉

I think you have captured her very well well even with the limitations of the base kit kudos to you 

E.

Ha Ha! Cheers Eamonn, 

I have a Seafire to do also, so going to be fun there! 

I'm back on the armour at the moment but should have a IAC Lysander finished over the weekend.

David

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, David Wallace said:

Cheers Tony, I hope I followed the instructions for the grey. A friend of mine gave me the breakdown of % and colours. The shade of grey used by the IAC is not available off the shelf in model stores. I think it looks a bit brighter in photographs Ive seen, but i'm told my mix looks ok. If not please let me know and I can take it on board (forgive the pun) for future builds.

Hiya David,.... sorry mate I was having a bit of a laugh with you as I know some members of IPMS Ireland were dicussing IAC Dauphan grey recently,....... not from the pics I`ve seen of the real thing you have done a superb job and so much better than my 1990`s attempt with the old 1/72nd Matchbox kit! I love the badge on the door too,.... is that St Patrick`s insignia?  

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, tonyot said:

Hiya David,.... sorry mate I was having a bit of a laugh with you as I know some members of IPMS Ireland were dicussing IAC Dauphan grey recently,....... not from the pics I`ve seen of the real thing you have done a superb job and so much better than my 1990`s attempt with the old 1/72nd Matchbox kit! I love the badge on the door too,.... is that St Patrick`s insignia?  

I think it represents St Brendan, or Brendan the Navigator as he was also known.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, JosephLalor said:

I think it represents St Brendan, or Brendan the Navigator as he was also known.

Thanks mate,.... of course,.... got my Saint`s mixed up there,...... much appreciated.

• Like 1