Spectacular Britannia performance

David Womby

You always forget how manoeuvrable with a fantastic power to weight ratio an unladen airliner or freighter is. I remember seeing one of the RNZAF 757s being thrown around at Waddington. They didn’t quite roll or loop it, but there were some pretty extreme wingovers and low passes...

best,

M.

• Like 3

Knew it would be the Kemble bomber . My mate  is a member of the team that looks after it , another ex Brize Brit man . It's back in it's original RAF colours now and got it's RAF Serial XM496 back . After the RAF went to Monarch's engineering for converted to 253F config . and flew with Cuban and two other  country's  Registrations that I know of anyway . Done a great job at Kemble . Open once a month in the Summer I think , should know really I'm on that

Brit FB group .

Thanks for putting that up !

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, cmatthewbacon said:

You always forget how manoeuvrable with a fantastic power to weight ratio an unladen airliner or freighter is. I remember seeing one of the RNZAF 757s being thrown around at Waddington. They didn’t quite roll or loop it, but there were some pretty extreme wingovers and low passes...

best,

M.

The 757 is famously overpowered when light. No doubt the Britannia was similar in its class. 

All pilots, sorry certain pilots love a low pass. Some are boring. That crew were not boring. Neither was I. 😇

• Like 1

Always worth a look and must be in the top ten "how low can you go". I particularly enjoyed the camera man suggesting " he is probably doing a couple of flybys to get used to the approach" or words to that effect!

Keith

Blimme! If the Wealth And Safety Mafia saw a modern aircraft doing that, there would be hell to pay. Particularly like the bit when the airliner is virtually hidden by a bump in the runway. I can see why folks refer to the "good-old-days".

Thanks for sharing with us. 

Chris.   

• 1 month later...

The crew must have been having an absolute blast.

Personally I could do without the inane commentary ("All four engines are firing..." "A couple of flypasts to get used to the runway approach...") but it's still a fantastic video.