Early Spitfire MKI

So here is my attempt at Eduards early Spitfire MKI.  I wanted to cram as many early features onto the kit as I could.  So - 2 blade prop; flash suppressors on guns; external gun camera; "ring pull" entry door opener; no cover over fuel tank behind the engine; un-armoured wind screen; ring/bead gun sight; flat canopy; pole aerial; parachute guard on fin.  Probably others.

Kit went together beautifully,  only my ham-fistedness getting in the way.  I modified the decals to PM-H rather than M.  I had a profile from an old(!) copy of SAM (yes, I know, probably should not have trusted a profile) but it showed it had the aluminium control surfaces, so it had to be done.

The external gun camera was hacked from a spare piece of resin based on what images I could find and a couple of references on this site. 

Not sure I am a fan of these new decals from Eduard.  I did have a go at removing the top layer of varnish.  This lead to one of the roundels on the wing being damaged, so had to use a spare to cover it.  As these are so thin you can not tell.  Pain was my usual mix of Alclad primer for the black and white undersides, humbrol 29 for the brown and colourcoats for the green.

Anyway, onto the photos.  Camera and PC playing up, so these are not as good as I'd like.

Tim

EKMEL8Q.jpg

Y5Ly889.jpg

XPo47xN.jpg

KVYRzfR.jpg

cSxkwiD.jpg

JshKszB.jpg

CzQNo5e.jpg

fFIqODx.jpg

• Like 43
  • Thanks 1

That looks really good Tim,  :like:   I have an early Spitfire like this in the pipeline, I was unsure of using the p/e on the fuselage fuel tank cover.  My plan was to use the p/e parts as a guide to mask those parts, hopefully a layer of Mr Surfacer will represent the raised areas sufficiently rather than risk gluing on the p/e.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, redleader said:

Yup, that's a good'un!

Early pitot, domed rivets towards the rear, u/c-down indicators. And not a crowbar to be seen! Excellent.

The 'Halo' effect on the roundels?

It’s Edwards attempt to show where the yellow ring that is seen on the first spitfires was painted over. I um’ed and ar’ed if to use them. It would be better to use a slightly different shade of paint to show this than the decals. Live and learn.

Tim

Superb early Spitfire!

It must be the first model in the scale that has an impression of the rivet work on the fuselage – finally!

Your model really breathes 'Spitfire'. Impressive modelling.

Kind regards,

Joachim

13 hours ago, Fishbed said:

It’s Edwards attempt to show where the yellow ring that is seen on the first spitfires was painted over. I um’ed and ar’ed if to use them. It would be better to use a slightly different shade of paint to show this than the decals. Live and learn.

Tim

Yeah, thought so. Effect looks fine in your pics. Eduard's 1/48 much more accurate than Revell's 1/32!

On 3/20/2021 at 6:20 PM, Murewa said:

Wow, awesome! Are those raised rivets part of the kit? That's an incredibly detailed kit! 

The only thing not in the kit is the external gun camera.  Everything else as at it comes in the box.

Tim