Mosquito J 30?

dalea

If I take a Tamiya Mosquito NF XIII/XVII fuselage and wings and replace the three blade props with Maestro four-bladers will I have a Swedish J 30? Apologies for not placing this in Cold War.

2 hours ago, dalea said:

If I take a Tamiya Mosquito NF XIII/XVII fuselage and wings and replace the three blade props with Maestro four-bladers will I have a Swedish J 30? Apologies for not placing this in Cold War.

Sounds about right but you will also have to add a landing light to the right wing leading edge which you can see in this photo.

fly08-j30.jpg.1cfa56be873a99d2233299a505

• Like 1

What he said, but also use the blown canopy side panel on the starboard side, apparently most export aircraft got these. The first three had the shrouded exhausts, later ones were left exposed. Two were delivered in Aluminium dope with black spinners, the rest in the standard RAF nightfighter scheme.

Moose Republic 48008 gives options for quite a few aircraft.

• Like 1

Admittedly it's an older generation, but the Airfix 48th kit is still worth building and apparently the current-ish boxing of their PR.XVI has the bits for the FB.VI, plus the newer tool parts for both the XVI and the NF.30. 

Not my scale but I'm almost tempted.  The 72nd Tamiya XIII is largely unavailable too. I suspect it wasn't a good seller. Not surprising as the bull nose ones wear the most boring and dull markings. Even the export ones are dull.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gomtuu said:

I thought the J30 was a mk XIX with a four blade prop not a mk XVII. What was the difference between the two?

It is a Mk.XIX, who said it was a Mk.XVII? The only external difference between the XVII and XIX I think is the landing light in the right wing which mean the Mk.XVII kit is perfect for it.

5 hours ago, The wooksta V2.0 said:

Admittedly it's an older generation, but the Airfix 48th kit is still worth building and apparently the current-ish boxing of their PR.XVI has the bits for the FB.VI, plus the newer tool parts for both the XVI and the NF.30. 

Not my scale but I'm almost tempted.  The 72nd Tamiya XIII is largely unavailable too. I suspect it wasn't a good seller. Not surprising as the bull nose ones wear the most boring and dull markings. Even the export ones are dull.

I was looking at trying to get a 72nd one last week as with the SH two stage kits coming I want to have a range of single stage kits but they are hard to get hold of. We could be in the situation where some one might have to do some resin single stage engines for the SH kit 😂

• Haha 1

May be easier and quicker for someone to offer a new nose section for the Tamiya FB.VI.  How long before the SH kit is available? They've had it under consideration for five years whilst releasing yet more 109s that we're frankly drowning in.

I actually looked at using the old Airkit resin nose intended for the Airfix FB.VI, before thinking I didn't want to risk cutting up an expensive kit on the off chance.

Edited by The wooksta V2.0
  • Like 1

Reason I asked is that I unearthed the old Airfix 1/72  mk.xix /j.30 (part assembled) recently. Give or take a canopy  I can't  see much difference in the fuselages of the Airfix xix and the Tamiya xvii (both Bullnose}

10 hours ago, The wooksta V2.0 said:

May be easier and quicker for someone to offer a new nose section for the Tamiya FB.VI.  How long before the SH kit is available? They've had it under consideration for five years whilst releasing yet more 109s that we're frankly drowning in.

I actually looked at using the old Airkit resin nose intended for the Airfix FB.VI, before thinking I didn't want to risk cutting up an expensive kit on the off chance.

That would be the best thing, a resin nose for the Tamiya kit. Yes the SH kit might be a while off, but the fact they have been showing a load of renders over the last couple of months hopefully means they are doing plenty of work on it at the moment but we will still probably get the Airfix kit first and probably have to wait until next year for the first SH kit.

9 hours ago, dalea said:

Reason I asked is that I unearthed the old Airfix 1/72  mk.xix /j.30 (part assembled) recently. Give or take a canopy  I can't  see much difference in the fuselages of the Airfix xix and the Tamiya xvii (both Bullnose}

http://www.mossie.org/Mosquito_var.htm

NF.XII Fighter. Four cannon fighter developed from the NF.II, but with the four machine guns and the A.I. Mk. 5 radar being replaced by centimetric A.I. Mk 8 radar in nose radome. Merlin 21 and 23 engines. The 'standard wing' was not fitted.

NF.XIII Fighter.Four cannon fighter developed from the FB.VI. The four machine guns in the nose replaced by A.I Mk 8 radar in 'bull' nose. Merlin 21 and 23 engines.

NF.XVII Fighter. Fighter developed from and similar to the NF.XII with American A.I. Mk 10 radar.

NF.XIX Fighter. Developed from and similar to the NF.XIII, but with Merlin 25 engines and able to take either British or American radar sets. In 1948-49, 45 were overhauled and fitted with four blade airscrews and supplied to the Royal Swedish Air Force who designated the aircraft the J.30

So, externally basically the same.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tbolt said:

It is a Mk.XIX, who said it was a Mk.XVII? The only external difference between the XVII and XIX I think is the landing light in the right wing which mean the Mk.XVII kit is perfect for it.

No one

The OP was talking about using the Mk.XVII kit to make a Mk.XIX(J30) I just asked what the difference between the two was. 🙄

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Gomtuu said:

No one

The OP was talking about using the Mk.XVII kit to make a Mk.XIX(J30) I just asked what the difference between the two was. 🙄

okay I see. The XVII is just the easiest way to get a good XIX rather than trying to improve on some of the XIX that are available.