Bandai - Mercer Raceabout Type 35 (1913) 1/16 scale

Ian T

Hi everybody, it’s been along time between posts for me. We’ve moved house and downsized considerably, so I started packing away my modelling tools, paints, bits and bobs some 6 months ago. Today was the first time that I’ve really looked at them again.

So I’m just launching into this Bandai kit. For those of you that followed along with my Bandai Pendle Princess Showman’s Engine build will know that I was given that kit and this Mercer by a good friend of mine. As with the Princess, this Mercer looks like it’s going to be fun, and by that I mean riddled with flash, sink and very little to assist in accurate placement of components.

The kit doesn’t have any decals, these got lost back before I inherited the kit, but they’re not too extensive, just the pin-striping really. I’m not sure if I’m going to try hand painting them or use some “off the shelf” decals if I can find any. I’ve bought a couple of sheets of various width lines and curves, but at the moment I don’t know how they’ll go. The instructions were also missing, but I managed to get a set through this group, so even though they’re in either Chinese or Japanese (and I’m a bit embarrassed to say that I don’t know the difference) I’ll be able to assemble the kit. What I’m going to struggle with is colours, obvious a nice bright yellow for the bodywork, but once I get down to the details, I’m going to have to take a punt I’m afraid. For example the engine block, black or grey, if grey, which one, gunmetal?? Anyway there are a couple of builds in this this group to help and pictures on the web. So with the obligatory picture of the box lid, I’ll be away with my usual, very slow, build speed. Feel free to follow along and comment.

Regards Ian

51048432957_aa915daa50_b.jpg

• Like 3

6 hours ago, cherry268 said:

I have this kit somewhere, I can see if I have English instructions if it helps

That would be great if you can, I’m OK with the construction, it’s just the colours for the detail that I’m struggling with at the moment. Thanks for your offer, and there’s no rush, I’m not a prolific builder!!

26 minutes ago, Ian T said:

That would be great if you can, I’m OK with the construction, it’s just the colours for the detail that I’m struggling with at the moment. Thanks for your offer, and there’s no rush, I’m not a prolific builder!!

I'll try and find it at weekend, a trip into the loft beckons

• Like 1

Well the good news is I have found the kit and the instructions and they are in  English as well.

Bad news is the don't give much on painting

I will get them scanned tomorrow at work and let you have them.

There is no decals 

Instructions say "draw black lines on engine hood"

It will be guess work I am afraid

Do you go onto Model Car Forum

Have a look for some on there and especially the one by Harry P. It's magnificent as are all his models

Such a shame he is no longer with us

On 22/03/2021 at 03:22, cherry268 said:

Well the good news is I have found the kit and the instructions and they are in  English as well.

Bad news is the don't give much on painting

I will get them scanned tomorrow at work and let you have them.

There is no decals 

Instructions say "draw black lines on engine hood"

It will be guess work I am afraid

Do you go onto Model Car Forum

Have a look for some on there and especially the one by Harry P. It's magnificent as are all his models

Such a shame he is no longer with us

Thanks very much for that @cherry268, I appreciate the help anyway!!

I’ve previously looked on the Model Car Forum, but I must confess that I’ve not looked for any Mercer build, so I’ll do that. I reckon between that forum, this Britmodeller group and the internet I should be OK, but the colours won’t be correct for the purists amongst us. I did find a motor museum site in the States that has video of a beautifully restored Mercer.

Hmmmm ... no decals, so I need to practice my pinstriping skills then. I’ll give the “off the shelf” stripes I’ve got as well, that includes lines of various thicknesses and curves of corresponding thicknesses, but assorted radii. I won’t have enough, but hopefully I can buy some more.

I’m not sure if you can attach a scan to a PM, if not, let me know and I’ll send you my email address.

Thanks once again for your help.

Hi Ian I will follow your build with interest. I have one myself.Building 1/16thThomas Flyer at the moment.Checked my Mercer,  instructions same as yours. Will not bother me too much as I admit I am not a slave to colour accuracy

10 hours ago, Old John said:

Hi Ian I will follow your build with interest. I have one myself.Building 1/16thThomas Flyer at the moment.Checked my Mercer,  instructions same as yours. Will not bother me too much as I admit I am not a slave to colour accuracy

Thanks for looking anyway @Old John, I’ve now got the instructions in English (courtesy of @cherry268) if you’re interested in a copy.

Like you, I’m not a slave to exact colours, if I know what they then I’ll try and use them, but if not, I try and estimate my closest guess from the ranges available at my local model store. Do you have a “WIP” for your Thomas Flyer?

Hav'nt  got a WIP going for Thomas.I have taken a few photo's along the way which I may post when finished. Thought kit  rare & of limited interest a WIP was not worth it. Seems old cars are a niche hobby.

10 hours ago, Old John said:

Hav'nt  got a WIP going for Thomas.I have taken a few photo's along the way which I may post when finished. Thought kit  rare & of limited interest a WIP was not worth it. Seems old cars are a niche hobby.

At the moment my favourite build is the Tamiya motorcycle range, but I love to see anything that is different which is my I seem to gravitate to this group on the forum. So I reckon that there would be a bit of interest in Thomas!! I plan to get one of the Occre trams a bit later when some spare time magically appears. But a RFI post would be great when you’re finished @Old John.

• Like 1

On 24/03/2021 at 09:31, Old John said:

I think you would be surprised at the amount of interest there would be. I would certainly follow it

• Like 1

Hi Ian Will do. I did a couple of Occre Kits.The London Tram & B Type Bus, Decent finished items but admit I did struggle with them a bit. I have put 3 pics of them in WIP for you to have a look at if you wish. Should have gone in RFI but I made a mistake.Made them a couple of years ago & at the time I was churning out models as if there was no tomorrow (which at 82 years old was quite reasonable) Now I have reached a more mature age I take a bit more time LOL

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Old John said:

Hi Ian Will do. I did a couple of Occre Kits.The London Tram & B Type Bus, Decent finished items but admit I did struggle with them a bit. I have put 3 pics of them in WIP for you to have a look at if you wish. Should have gone in RFI but I made a mistake.Made them a couple of years ago & at the time I was churning out models as if there was no tomorrow (which at 82 years old was quite reasonable) Now I have reached a more mature age I take a bit more time LOL

Thanks for the bus and tram pictures, that makes me even more keen to do one now, they look great.

I think I must have matured early!! I’m a mere youngster at 65 and I’ve always built very slowly, not necessarily through choice but because I’ve got quite a few other things that I want to do, and all at the same time.

I’ve got a few of the Mercer bits ready to paint, so hopefully it will be underway soon.

Regards Ian

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sabrejet said:

Too much talk! Show us some pics!!! 😉

Patience @Sabrejet, I was hoping that @cherry268 English instructions would help with the colours, that wasn’t to be, so I’m off now using my best judgement. So look out shortly for a nice bright blue engine block with a salmon pink timing chain cover ...... 😂

• Like 1

Happy to oblige @Sabrejet, here are the sprues, I’ve started assembling a couple of bits that will be the same colour, so the engine block and a couple of other bits are assembled. I tried a silver grey on the engine block just to try it out and it’s much too light, so a darker grey is required, maybe even black. There is also a picture of the “generic” pinstripes and curves that I bought at a swap meet. I’ll give them a go when I get that far, but there won’t be enough, plus the kit requires a thick line with a parallel thin line ... probably not this modeller!!

51075347907_33b1caf323_b.jpg

51074552183_895091b1f9_b.jpg

51075245356_6e251e7319_b.jpg

51006064715_309587ff66_b.jpg

51006064745_3ca638c4b9_b.jpg

51006064760_1cf3e68662_b.jpg

51075347862_547b42bec9_b.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

A bit of progress at long last. I’ve spent some time checking colours on the internet, both models and real cars and it left me no wiser, there is a huge range of variation out there. So I decided that I would simply make the model “out of the box” to the best of my skills and just enjoy the build. So here is the engine almost complete, the main block is gunmetal and I’m quite happy with the colour. The Bandai plating is quite unrealistic in real-world terms, but I’ve left most of it. The springs (??) running up the side of the engine have horrible seam lines but I decided that they probably wouldn’t be seen much and if I removed them, there wouldn’t be much spring detail left. So anyway, here’s my start, all constructive comments are very welcome.

51089174292_4f95de0f0c_b.jpg

51089631573_f3f28e0024_b.jpg

51089174297_18c104131a_b.jpg

• Like 6

46 minutes ago, johnlambert said:

That's a very smart motor, the seam lines on the springs don't look obvious to me.

It’s called creative photography @johnlambert, as always, we are our own worst critics.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Ian T said:

It’s called creative photography @johnlambert, as always, we are our own worst critics.

Yes, I know what you mean, when I look at my work my eyes are often drawn to the flaws and imperfections.

• Like 2