bf-109g-6/AS Recon blue 9- guns

Jim Kiker

Morning all,

I am ready to tackle one of the Eduard 1/48 scale Bf109g-6/AS kits as a renaissance modified machines.  Blue 9 had an overall RLM 76 scheme, well, she's a recon plane, right?  Based on information I have found, the machine guns in the fuselage were removed (or at least supposed to be removed by directive),but the center cannon firing through the spinner was to be retained.  So, if you remove those machine guns as directed, what kind of covering would there be? A streamlined plate, a "rounded" plug installed in the opening with the troughs left empty, a piece of tape or doped fabric, nothing?

And in addition, what about the two shell chute openings on the lower wing?  Did the cannon and one machine gun empty to one opening, plus the other machine gun into the other opening?

Thanks in advance, Jim

Hello, Jim

I do not know about the Blue 9, but all the photos of reconnaissance Bf 109 G planes I have seen had had fuselage machine guns installed. Check this link to BM member FalkeEins' blog:

http://falkeeins.blogspot.com/2014/09/scenes-from-nahaufklarungsgruppe-inag.html

And, contrary to some colour profiles found on the web, the well-known and very colorful Heimo Hemersdorfer's White 14 from I/NAGr. 12 had also been armed with fuselage machine guns:

https://falkeeins.blogspot.com/2014/03/bf-109-g-8-wnr-200-weisse-14-oblt-heimo.html

I hope it helps. Cheers

Jure

• Like 1

Is it a G-10/U2 or G-6/AS? It's hard to distinguish these versions. 

By the way, quite a lot sources have said Bf109 recons had their weapons removed, however not all....such as the famous (at least famous colour scheme) G-8 "white 14"in Albania. So, there maybe not ALL recon 109s had cowl guns removed.

spacer.png

For this G-4/R3, the port gun chute indicated cowl MG17 removed, but without fairing; 

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Bf-109G/Aufkl/pages/Messerschmitt-Bf-109G4R3-2.(F)123-4U+YK-unknown-pilot-Greece-1943-01.html

spacer.png

On this Bf 109F-4/R3(or F-6?) , also no fairings.

Edited by fernandocouto

Great picture of the FiSk199, I never realised it had been converted from a G-3 (note the small intake for the pressurisation, the sealed armoured headrest and desiccant disks in the canopy). Not sure what relevance it has to the G-6/AS or G-10 though :)

Duncan B

http://falkeeins.blogspot.com/2015_05_01_archive.html

You may need to scroll down the page to see them, but there appears to be a couple of pics of the a/c in question here.  The cowl guns appear to be properly faired over, but it's still not particularly clear how this was done.  In modelling terms, I guess it doesn't really matter, provided you are able to replicate the appearance somehow.  I'd be inclined to just fill the troughs with putty or similar..

6 hours ago, Duncan B said:

Great picture of the FiSk199, I never realised it had been converted from a G-3 (note the small intake for the pressurisation, the sealed armoured headrest and desiccant disks in the canopy). Not sure what relevance it has to the G-6/AS or G-10 though :)

Duncan B

Sorry for my careless....I was at work that time, searched "G-4/R3", saw a photo showed 2 drop tanks, then post it here.....

spacer.png

• Like 2

Hi all,

Thank you for the information that has been posted here so far.  Special thanks to Werdna, those are the pictures I am working from.  And also thanks for the Falkeeins site regarding how this aircraft was to be equipped.  That said, I do recognize that different recon airframes carried all guns, but I am trying to nail down this one.  If anyone knows of a picture showing either the fuselage guns or the upper wings, I could really use them!

More please, and thanks, Jim

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/03/2021 at 01:46, Duncan B said:

@fernandocouto no need to apologise, I was really pleased to see that photo and the G4/R3 photo is a beauty as well.

Duncan B

I checked my Valiant Wings Bf109 late series, it said FISK 199 was converted from G-1/R1, referring to this photo, I think VW is right:

http://me109.airwar1946.nl/family/Images/kffisk199-2.jpg

We cannot see antenna, but comparing with main wheels, the tail wheel should be the smaller(290mm in diameter?) one, different from larger and not retractable tail wheel on G-3/4 and so on...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, fernandocouto said:

I checked my Valiant Wings Bf109 late series, it said FISK 199 was converted from G-1/R1, referring to this photo, I think VW is right:

http://me109.airwar1946.nl/family/Images/kffisk199-2.jpg

We cannot see antenna, but comparing with main wheels, the tail wheel should be the smaller(290mm in diameter?) one, different from larger and not retractable tail wheel on G-3/4 and so on...

It's been a while since I read up on the FiSk so I just went by the G4 main wheels which was a bit stupid as they were used to cope with the weight increase of the modifications. I knew it was either a G1 or G3 by the features I mentioned which were common to both.

Duncan B 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I am bringing this thread back in the hope of uncovering more specific information.  I am building the Eduard 1/48 scale Bf-109g-6/AS kit as Blue 9, one of seven g-6 airframes that were converted to AS airframes with the 50-30 mapping camera added.  Information for this block of seven airframes includes the removal of the two cowling machine guns but leaving the engine mounted 20mm gun in place.

The question remains, for this group of aircraft what would the builders have done, if anything, with the open holes in the cowling once the two guns were taken out?  I've had no luck with any pictures or descriptions of 109's with the cowling guns removed.  Openings filled with a wood dowel; the entire gun trough skinned with metal; the entire trough covered with fabric and dope?  Any light you can shed or point to for this aircraft would be a big help!

Thanks, Jim

Edited by Jim Kiker
spelling correction