Built like a brick-built...hut COMPLETED

Before I get too carried away with stats and watching everyone else, I should put up some builds of my own. Here then is the first of a possible 4

PXL-20210302-180446925.jpg 

6 pieces so I fancy my chances of completing it. P&D Marsh started up in the 70s and with a few changes of ownership have been making white metal kits and for n and oo railways every since. The good thing about modelling in a small scale is that you never have a big stash😜 but it turns out that I've got kits from them with 3 different addresses on them, which suggests my stash is bigger than I thought.

Not many parts, but as with many of the other builds on here the make or break will be in the painting. For those not into railways, platelayers were the people who maintained the actual railway and had these huts as shelter/ stores along the line. So they were everywhere that the railway went. They were working buildings rather than garden rooms so a good dose of grubby/ weathering is called for

I'm undecided about  whether to add some IM in the form of rainwater goods, or whether I'll leave it alone.

Michael

• Like 5

This should be interesting, I remember P&D Marsh advertising in Railway Modeller when I started putting my 14' x 3' N Gauge layout together and I think I may have bought a couple of platelayers huts. The layout was dismantled and  packed away when I left home after getting married, and after a couple of further house moves - most of it is now stored in the loft where it has lived for the last 30+ years. 

• Like 2

I'd better get on with some modelling of my own! I'd forgotten how satisfyingly soft white metal is; very hand for using up all those blades blunted by card modelling. Who says model making isn't environmentally friendly?

Rivalling @nimrod54 on the parts count, assembly isn't taking long

PXL-20210321-095656860.jpg 

Perhaps I shouldn't have made it, but taken it to Antiques Roadshow, because it could be classed as pewter-ware with a makers stamp so must be worth a lot, surely?

PXL-20210321-095718806-MP.jpg 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Will you be able to make use of your lead shelter in the event of nuclear fallout . the rest of us will have to put paper bags over our heads and get under the kitchen table . Must be a gap in the market for ikea to make full size lead kitchen tables :)

• Haha 1

7 parts? You flatter me! And I didn't get to be a railway baron by indulging my staff with floors in their buildings.

I will make it more than the 6 pieces supplied because I'll be adding some clear fix for glazing, and adding some down-pipes. Looking at the castings, there's a gutter fitted so only downpipes to come out of the spares box...

PXL-20210321-210349860.jpg 

• Like 4

Just how hard can 6 pieces be? Whilst plenty of people are powering along, the hut suffered a CATastrophe last night.

That scourge of model railways, the cat got into the hobby room and took great delight playing the shiny new toy that the Two-Leg had made for her. It's was kicked, and possibly carried all round the room. It's been reduced to 3 sub-assemblies, though everything is accounted for and there don't seem to be any tooth-marks or scratches.

Down the snake in the snakes and ladders game, but I've still got plenty of time to finish something in a GB and improve my completion rate!!

I suppose next will be a vet's bill because the stupid animals got lead poisoning🤔

• Haha 3

The world would be a very drab place without grey🤪

PXL-20210324-133122496.jpg 

Sometimes I wonder what I did before I discovered Halfords grey primer! Repaired after the mishap with the mad moggy, a gentle soak in warm bubble which I'm sure it enjoyed and all over Halfords grey.

Then a light grey over the walls, for the mortar. Tomorrow some dry-brushing of the brickwork is the plan. Every time I look at it I think the door is too wide, but there it is. I suppose I could overlay a door frame to narrow it down a fraction, but I suspect I won't be doing that.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Paul821 said:

Sorry to have to question our leader but it look like some injection moulding has sneaked into this build in the form of downpipes. 

Yes it has; 25% is allowed for raiding the scraps box. I'm still undecided about using it because I'm lazy but it would hide the ugly corner join

I'm not going to do anything about overlaying door frame to shrink the door partly to stay below the allowance but also because it would need all the roof line adjusting and im using what I take to be a cast gutter on the roof panels

• Like 1

• Mjwomack changed the title to Built like a brick-built...hut COMPLETED