RAF Pilot WW2 and Dog - Elan 13 Miniatures

This Elan13 figure of an RAF Pilot smoking a pipe and accompanied by his spaniel will be my first entry in the group build. It has four parts in total and two of those are the head and the pipe, so it should not take long to assemble (famous last words) and will be a good lead in to the larger second figure I have planned.

As you can see, I also have a perfect life model for the dog - if I can get Molly to sit still for long enough. :winkgrin:

51046181672_caaebbfa8d_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51046365702_6b9ae05756_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 14

As I understand it this build has three components, assembly, painting and getting a spaniel (who IS gorgeous btw) to sit still. I think we all know which is the hardest part, but you've got several months to manage it😍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• nimrod54 changed the title to RAF Pilot WW2 and Dog - Elan 13 Miniatures

With Mrs N kindly donating one of the bases that she had for a couple of figurines for this one, I was able to get started. The first job was to remove the plush fabric from the base which was a relatively easy job. The backing for the fabric was a piece of 3mm hardboard, and after a quick trim to make it more of a circular shape it was glued back onto the base. The resin parts had a wash before I removed the casting blocks from the feet and head of the pilot and then carefully cut away the large resin block from the dog. The head was fixed in place and it was time for a quick look at their position on the base, so the subjects were arranged in a loose composition, I may put something in the foreground yet but we will see how it looks as things progress.

51055942941_776be70d74_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 7

You've got the spaniel to sit still so that's the hardest part done!

Is he a healthy non-smoking pilot or will you be adding the pipe in later? Otherwise it looks like he's blowing a kiss, which may or not be appropriate depending on where you imagine the NAAFI to be.

Looks lovely and crisp casting(s)

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Mjwomack said:

Is he a healthy non-smoking pilot or will you be adding the pipe in later? Otherwise it looks like he's blowing a kiss, which may or not be appropriate depending on where you imagine the NAAFI to be.

Looks lovely and crisp casting(s)

The castings are really nice. and don't worry, he will be chugging away before the end. I thought it would be better to leave the pipe off rather than knock it off. :winkgrin: 

• Like 1

I have made a start on blocking in some colours and having primed everything I brushed on some Citadel Mechanicus Standard Grey.

51068246288_d9fb2c2239_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Time then to add some colour and for the leather flying jacket I used Revell's Aqua Color Leather, my choice for the Mae West was Averland Sunset and it had to be Abaddon Black for the dog, both from  the Citadel range. They have some strange names for their paints, and I bet the meetings where those decisions are made are interesting. I feel that the grey brushed on before the colour was applied is a good mid-tone for the RAF uniform colour, and so I added another thin coat of that to those areas.

50999765855_aa83872fd0_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51068952791_a588b4fd9e_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

That just leaves the colours for the trim on the flying jacket and the gaiters to sort and then I can add some washes.

John

• Like 5

A bit more painting done over the course of the week. The pilot has a few more details like the cap badge, pipe and head to paint, whilst the dog is more less done, maybe some satin clear to give her coat a glossy sheen. Once that work is done I can sort the base out.

51076448522_50e16bbfa7_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51076351216_2897e599be_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51075655843_54db709b99_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 8

I finished the painting off today, and I am ready to make a start on the base. After checking through the scatter materials that I have, I find that I only have autumn grass colours which is a bit dull for what I had intended, so I am going to send for some spring/summer grass mix to finish it off.

51081881641_6b04291ca6_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51081184678_3bfe724d5f_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51081881551_0ef2515259_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 5

That’s looking really smart good buddy. 

Lets hope Mrs N doesn’t look to closely at his jacket liner and notice the that she has also donated her leopard print scarf to this project too. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/03/2021 at 19:54, Bengalensis said:

Looking really nice. They both show some nice character, really like the pair.

Thanks a lot Jörgen, that means a great deal coming from someone who turns out such fantastic figures.

My delivery of 'Spring Mix' static grass arrived yesterday, so I was able to finish the base off today. I am not sure what to do about the eyes on the figure, the detail is there but little can be seen under the hat, apart from that small detail the figures are complete.

51109545806_cf04245d89_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51109455168_90a27db5fe_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 10

Nice with a bit of spring grass!

Judging from these photos I think his face and eyes looks fine. I'd be weary and very conservative if doing anything to highlight them, it's so easy to overdo eye details, and 75 mm is still a relatively small scale. If you stood with him at face height, having a pipe and chatting on a fairly sunny spring day between missions, I suppose his eyes would be in some shadow from his cap. His four legged friend on the other hand would have light reflecting well in his eyes, looking up on you. I think you capture both of those aspects quite well as I see the photos. But you will be the best judge having the model in front of you.

• Like 2

I really, really like this. As for the eyes, when was the last time Coco Chanel was quoted on the MB? Her advice about accessories was to take of the last thing you put on- for my part I think that applies to the eyes on this model and I'm with @Bengalensis about sunken weary eyes hidden behind the cap

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bengalensis said:

Nice with a bit of spring grass!

Judging from these photos I think his face and eyes looks fine. I'd be weary and very conservative if doing anything to highlight them, it's so easy to overdo eye details, and 75 mm is still a relatively small scale. If you stood with him at face height, having a pipe and chatting on a fairly sunny spring day between missions, I suppose his eyes would be in some shadow from his cap. His four legged friend on the other hand would have light reflecting well in his eyes, looking up on you. I think you capture both of those aspects quite well as I see the photos. But you will be the best judge having the model in front of you.

4 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

I really, really like this. As for the eyes, when was the last time Coco Chanel was quoted on the MB? Her advice about accessories was to take of the last thing you put on- for my part I think that applies to the eyes on this model and I'm with @Bengalensis about sunken weary eyes hidden behind the cap

Thanks for the comments and  advice chaps, this 'Young Padawan', or perhaps that should be 'Old Padawan' :lol:, will heed the advice of his Masters and leave the eyes well alone. I think that I will add a matt coat to the grey fabric of the uniform jacket, trousers and hat though, just to take the sheen off those areas, it should then be ready for some final photos for the gallery.

I knew I could rely on the 'BM Massive' to steer me in the right direction, but I didn't think I would be getting advice from  Coco Chanel - Coco the Clown maybe :winkgrin:, but Coco Chanel was an unexpected bonus.

Cheers

John

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

I think that I will add a matt coat to the grey fabric of the uniform jacket, trousers and hat though, just to take the sheen off those areas,

Yes, a matt cote on those areas would be a good idea, and it will lift the leather jacket as well.

It's a very nice little scene; I think I must watch the classic Battle of Britain film again the coming weekend...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bengalensis said:

I think I must watch the classic Battle of Britain film again the coming weekend...

SWMBO usually rolls her eyes when I put the Battle of Britain on... probably because it is generally accompanied by the phrase "Oooh Goodie! I haven't seen this film". :lol: I think I might be on gardening duty this weekend.

A first coat of Winsor and Newton Galleria Matt has gone over the grey, I will give it a second coat tomorrow.

John.

• Like 1

After adding the final clear coats to this, it was time to stop tinkering and call it finished. The RAF uniform had a couple of coats of a clear matt and I added a clear satin to the leather of flying jacket this morning. The light is not too strong here today, so it was off outside for a few photos, there are more over in the display gallery.

51114936732_53a226a8ef_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51115498086_a4b4573c3d_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Thanks to all for the helpful advice and comments along the way, I hope that you enjoyed watching the progress.

Cheers.

John

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Bengalensis said:

The last flat coats made a further improvement. They look fantastic!

Thanks Jörgen, the flat coats worked pretty well, but I still wasn't happy with the look of the flying jacket, adding the satin coat to it has lifted that further. Thanks for your helpful input too.

Regards

John

• Like 1

15 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Terrific figure (and dog)!

Regards,

Adrian

5 hours ago, CliffB said:

Congratulations John :goodjob:

Cheers chaps. I think that he is suffering from a bit of oxygen mask rash on the left cheek, but it gives him a rugged look. :D

John

• Haha 1

Very impressed with the figure John - I thought at first he was wearing "puttees" but I am guessing these were the "evasion" boots which had a removable top so they looked like everyday shoes? My first impression when I saw it in the gallery was "Christopher Plummer" from the BoB film, though any likeness is no doubt incidental!

Cheers

Pete

• Like 1