McDonnell F101 Voodoo

RARex

Does anyone know if it possible to get Canadian Air Force Decals for the Voodoo in 1/48th scale. I have found a Canadian company called Leading Edge that might have them but they have not replied to my request for information.

The leading edge set is very, nice but expensive and usually "out of stocK"

The Belcher Bits set isn't quite as nice but is much less expensive and is avaiable most of the time. Still a good set though.

I don't know of any other aftermarket manufacturer.

There was an old Mongram kit and  new Kitty Hawk kit that are both decent markings and just the decal sets pop up on EBay every now and then but they can be rare and usually go fast.

Although Leading Edge does have a CF-101B sheet, Dave does 'limited' runs of his sheets, withdrawing them and then reissuing those sheets at a later date.  He's done this at least twice with the Voodoo sheet so it may be possible that it will appear again at some time.  However, Belcher Bits still has the CF-101B sheet listed on the web site and as Tony's mentioned, you can order direct.

As an aside ... if you have yet to begin work on the Voodoo (I'm thinking that it's the Monogram kit?), I have a build tip on my RFI for the Revell 1/72 kit that applies to it's 1/48 counterpart, as well.

Scott

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Scott Hemsley said:

Although Leading Edge does have a CF-101B sheet, Dave does 'limited' runs of his sheets, withdrawing them and then reissuing those sheets at a later date.  He's done this at least twice with the Voodoo sheet so it may be possible that it will appear again at some time.  However, Belcher Bits still has the CF-101B sheet listed on the web site and as Tony's mentioned, you can order direct.

As an aside ... if you have yet to begin work on the Voodoo (I'm thinking that it's the Monogram kit?), I have a build tip on my RFI for the Revell 1/72 kit that applies to it's 1/48 counterpart, as well.

Scott

Can't order direct in the UK

From Belcher site:

"Because of some stupid UK rule changes about VAT collection, I will no longer be selling directly to UK customers and if you want any of my products, please look for them on my new eBay store “Belcher Bits Store”. (Non-UK buyers should not use this service; it's much cheaper to order from me as described below). Not all products will be available at all times, although I will try to keep the store stocked with popular items. Just to highlight to all UK customers, the list price is higher on the eBay store to cover additional fees, and you will have to pay VAT on the item and on shipping, so send your government a big thank-you note next time you talk to them. Please do not ask for your parcel to be marked as gift to avoid duty or VAT. It’s a sale, not a gift. Sorry."

If you can wait for a bit (not sure how long though) as Canmilair announced on his website a while ago that his decal printing is coming back soon. He had several different sheets for Canadian Voodoos representing several different eras. Before he closed down shop a couple years ago he used an Alps printer and were fairly pricey but I’m not sure what he’s going to use when he starts up again. 

Definitely not Brexit related. Essentially the same rules are coming to the EU this summer. https://www.avalara.com/vatlive/en/vat-news/eu-2021-e-commerce-vat-package.html My own personal volume of business is not worth the hassle, and I won’t be an unpaid tax collector for Her Majesty. I certainly won’t do it for the EU, either. 

• Like 1

As I understand it, the difference is that the EU system will be (for me as a retailer from Canada) non-mandatory. I will be able to continue to ship to EU customers and they will have to pay the VAT on delivery. In the UK, this is not an option; the UK insists that out-of-country vendors collect VAT on all sales and forward it to the UK.  

Mike Belcher, Belcher Bits

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 3/17/2021 at 7:29 AM, RARex said:

Does anyone know if it possible to get Canadian Air Force Decals for the Voodoo in 1/48th scale. I have found a Canadian company called Leading Edge that might have them but they have not replied to my request for information.

Best bet is the Ultracast eBay store. They carry my line of products, they ship to the UK, Looked here and

https://www.ebay.com/str/ueloyalist/1-48-Scale/_i.html?_storecat=11704558012&_bkw=voodo

found this.

Mike Belcher, Belcher Bits

• Like 1

While full-blown parcels may be subject to customs duties and taxes, decals can be shipped in first-class envelopes and mailers, and should not be subject to the above. I've been sending decals to the UK for years as regular first-class mail in Stay-Flat cardboard mailers and have never heard of a problem. So if all you're ordering is a decal sheet or two you should get it without any hassle... provided the vendor knows what he's doing. (You might ask how it will be sent.)

Bob

• Like 1

Well, Bob, I have been sending decals and parcels to the UK for 27 years as Belcher Bits, so I do know what I'm doing. What's happened this year is that as of 1 January, things changed on the UK end. While it may still be possible to send ONE decal in a mailer and disguise it as a personal letter, if it goes out as a commercial mailing (i.e. with your business name on the return address) it theoretically requires some form of customs declaration and falls under the new VAT collection at source rules. Now if the UK chooses to let that slide in, great. You can't depend on that. I have stated that I will not send packages (letters or parcels) falsely declaring them as gifts or non-commercial products. Its a great annoyance to me, as I have many good UK customers. As I get my ebay store up and running, most of my products will be available again to them, although only through eBay and at an increased price.

22 hours ago, bobmig said:

While full-blown parcels may be subject to customs duties and taxes, decals can be shipped in first-class envelopes and mailers, and should not be subject to the above. I've been sending decals to the UK for years as regular first-class mail in Stay-Flat cardboard mailers and have never heard of a problem. So if all you're ordering is a decal sheet or two you should get it without any hassle... provided the vendor knows what he's doing. (You might ask how it will be sent.)

Bob

Hello Bob,

Some years ago I thought exactly along the same lines when I ordered four decal sheets from Drawdecal (USA). Upon receiveing the envelope I had to pay custom duties and VAT as per any standard parcel.

I was very disappointed because there's no other sales channel for those decals and I ended up paying them more than doble the list price due to expensive postage+duties+VAT,  but I cannot blame Greg for doing all the correct declarations: it is his own business and if he doesn't feel like breaking a little the rules to please the customer I can't complain. I think the same goes for all other sellers like Mike wrote.

Just my two pence.

Regards

Fabio

On 18/03/2021 at 14:19, belcherbits said:

Best bet is the Ultracast eBay store. They carry my line of products, they ship to the UK, Looked here and

https://www.ebay.com/str/ueloyalist/1-48-Scale/_i.html?_storecat=11704558012&_bkw=voodo

found this.

Mike Belcher, Belcher Bitsr

I would like to thank evryone for their input. Being new to this site, I had no idea that it would have attracted such a discussion! I now know a lot more about the consequences of posting stuff around the world, Brexit and even some decal information!  I have to admit to seeing a you-tube in-box review of the Kitty hawk Voodoo and would you believe it contains Canadian Air Force markings as well as American. The only comment I have is that when I saw 2 Squadrons of these Aircraft in Bagotville in 1972, the wording on one side was in English, the other side being in French, but the decal sheet is all English. I can live with that.

RARex, you're describing what's commonly known as the "CAF era" (1968-73).  That period featured the 'CANDIAN ARMED FORCES' fuselage titles in English on the port side and in  French (FORCES ARMEE CANADIENNES) on the starboard side.  In 1973, that was changed to read 'CANADA' on both sides (symmetrical era, 1973-83). Currently, the fuselage titles read 'Canada' with a small Canadian flag wordmark above the last 'a'. 

The decals include with the Kittyhawk kit depict a pre-unification (pre-1968) scheme for the CF-101B, in which ROYAL CANADIAN AIR FORCE fuselage titles in English on both sides is correct, but the kit RCAF decals are incorrect (based on what I can make out looking at an online review) in that the lettering style should be of the 'shadow lettering' style, not straight red lettering.  There may well be other errors in the RCAF markings that aren't apparent in the small image in the review.  My personal choice would be to go with Mike Belcher's decals or if you could find them on the secondary market, Leading Edge.  Either one will provide correct Canadian markings.

Scott

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Scott Hemsley said:

RARex, you're describing what's commonly known as the "CAF era" (1968-73).  That period featured the 'CANDIAN ARMED FORCES' fuselage titles in English on the port side and in  French (FORCES ARMEE CANADIENNES) on the starboard side.  In 1973, that was changed to read 'CANADA' on both sides (symmetrical era, 1973-83).

An interesting bit of trivia here. Apparently, our attempt at bilingualism with RCAF on one side and FAC on the other contravened some sort of ICAO regulation that military aircraft could not be differently marked on either side. Hence the development of the famous Roundel Ident which had English and French flanking the roundel.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, belcherbits said:

Well, Bob, I have been sending decals and parcels to the UK for 27 years as Belcher Bits, so I do know what I'm doing...

No offence intended, Mike. I'm just saying that according to Canada Post regs acceptable items for "letter mail" include, "Paper or other material with the general characteristics of paper (e.g. tickets, photographs, etc.)". That, and if the size is within Canada Post's "oversize" template (380mm x 270mm x 20mm) and under 500 g, it can be sent as oversize letter mail. Now... what the UK postal authorities do with it when it arrives is another matter. Also, and I may be wrong, I didn't think first-class letter mail was subject to being opened and inspected – barring alerts from X-ray machines or sniffer dogs! ... But let's get back to discussing Voodoos – they're much more fun than government regs!

• Like 2