Tamiya's AS paints for Dark Green (RAF) and Medium Sea Grey (RAF) - differences -357th P-51D

tonyp

Hi all

Does anyone know the difference between these or for what subject/purpose they were released?

AS-9 DARK GREEN (RAF)

AS-30 DARK GREEN 2 (RAF)

AS-11 MEDIUM SEA GREY (RAF)

AS-32 MEDIUM SEA GREY 2 (RAF)

Which would be suitable for a 357th P-51D?

Thanks all

Tony

20210317-193640.jpg

15 minutes ago, tonyp said:

Hi all

Does anyone know the difference between these or for what subject/purpose they were released?

AS-9 DARK GREEN (RAF)

AS-30 DARK GREEN 2 (RAF)

AS-11 MEDIUM SEA GREY (RAF)

AS-32 MEDIUM SEA GREY 2 (RAF)

Which would be suitable for a 357th P-51D?

Thanks all

Tony

20210317-193640.jpg

As stated in their descriptions  these are depictions of RAF standard paint colours and generally not suitable for USAAF aircraft.

Selwyn

I believe these rattle cans represent Tamiya’s equipments of the WW2 era RAF Day Fighter Scheme. The early numbers (9, 10, 11) came out quite a while ago and (in my opinion) were not that great a match. Tamiya themselves may have thought the same so issued their new and improved series (30, 31, 32) at about the time their 1/32 Spitfire IX was released. 

Note - AS-10 and AS-31 are Ocean Grey.

Hope this helps.. Dave 

11 minutes ago, Selwyn said:

As stated in their descriptions  these are depictions of RAF standard paint colours and generally not suitable for USAAF aircraft.

Selwyn

These aircraft were based in the UK and painted with RAF paints. Hence the question.

1 minute ago, tonyp said:

These aircraft were based in the UK and painted with RAF paints. Hence the question.

You must have been reading a different question to me! There is nothing about painting US aircraft in the original post.

Selwyn

9 minutes ago, Selwyn said:

You must have been reading a different question to me! There is nothing about painting US aircraft in the original post.

Selwyn

Lol. We may need to re-read the part where I ask what would be suitable for a 357th P-51.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I believe these rattle cans represent Tamiya’s equipments of the WW2 era RAF Day Fighter Scheme. The early numbers (9, 10, 11) came out quite a while ago and (in my opinion) were not that great a match. Tamiya themselves may have thought the same so issued their new and improved series (30, 31, 32) at about the time their 1/32 Spitfire IX was released. 

Note - AS-10 and AS-31 are Ocean Grey.

Hope this helps.. Dave 

Yes, like Gunze Mr. color, RAF camo set replaced "dark tan" "ochre" or "dark green"

It looked to me like the original post was asking if the Tamiya colors he listed could be used for bare metal 357th FG Mustangs that were camouflaged/repainted; see the links below for information on possible paints used.

Mike

https://www.cybermodeler.com/history/meteor/yoxfordboys.shtml

https://wingstracksguns.com/2018/02/357th-fighter-group/

https://www.ipmsstockholm.se/home/camouflage-and-markings-of-north-american-p-51-mustang-part-1/