Accurate Miniatures 1/48th Grumman F3F-2

This model was built out-of-the box, except for the canopy, which was patterned and vacformed by myself. The kit transparencies are too thick for the scale.

Assembly was, in general, trouble free, except for positioning  parts A22 and A23 (landing gear doors/fuel tank sides), as explained in the instructions. Just couldn't make it to work. So, I've just separated the doors from the fuel tank sides, and glued each one in place, after trimming the sides a bit.

The upper wing has a molding flaw, that has damaged the stitching over the ribs in some places.  Unfortunately, this is visible under a light coat a paint. From what I've read on the net, all the production run of this kit had this problem, and it was not fixed by Accurate before it folded. So beware if you have this kit on the stash and haven't noticed it. A thicker layer of paint, like the one I've used in the model, will hide most of it though.

Cheers, Ivan 

spacer.png 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 39

I really like the color combinations, and I think you chose a great background to show it off well.  Oh, and the build looks good, too!  Only trouble is now, as usual, I feel an urge to grab one of the several F3Fs in my stash...

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Toryu said:

That's a beauty! Superb modelling and finish. And thanks for the notes, I might need them for my F3F-1 in the stash. Michael

Thanks, Michael. I’m not sure if the -1 kit has the same molding problem of the -2 that I’ve mentioned, as I don’t have that kit. Also, Falcon has on their set #39 a vacformed canopy for that kit. So, it should be an easier build, with more marking options.

Cheers, Ivan

• Thanks 1