Airfix Tiger I (Future Wagon Load) - 1/72nd Scale

Hi all - Don't often post in RFI but felt that I could justify it in this instance as it's both the new Tiger from Airfix and it's been done most definitely not OOB!

Basically - I picked up a pair of SSyms rail wagon kits in a single boxing and needed a load to go on one once built, the other wagon can then go to my dad for him to build.

As the Tiger has to be fitted with narrow tracks and remove the side skirts to fit within the loading gauge, I needed something that would be easy to convert.

Airfix provides two track options - The first is the two part "Simplified" option, if my plan didn't work then I could use these as a "Plan B" to at least avoid scrapping the kit!

The other track option is a link and length type which is what I used to create the narrow tracks.

This was carried out as follows - Take your track sections and remove the outer edge up to the moulded line visible on the outside face of the track, this then becomes your narrow track.

You then take the track pieces and use them on the opposite side to that shown in the instructions, so that the cut face of the track is on the inside of the tank.

The wheels are also handed but (IIRC) you don't use the separate outer wheels and the first row of the joined wheels - The drive and idler wheels stay on the side that is indicated in the instructions.

If you do this then your tracks will line through with the face of the wheels. 

After that it was just a case of trimming off the skirts and making up new front and rear skirts for the fenders where they folded over.

Simples! 

51044685416_941eac6630_z.jpg

51043953733_9d757bc247_z.jpg

Airbrushed with Tamiya acrylics, brushpainted details with Lifecolor pigments and Citadel washes.

Opinions on the kit? It's OK but odd in this day and age that the pioneer tools etc are still moulded on the hull rather than being separate parts, towing cables are separate parts though which means you can paint prior to installation.

On the plus side, the wheels and track construction appears to work well and it's a simple build.

Will construct the wagon as part of the "Unarmed" GB later in the year.

KR's 

IanJ 

• Like 15

• 2 weeks later...