Revell 1/25 1956 Chevy Delray

Hey all, here's my latest build. For some reason, it seems the only American cars I build end up with a patina finish - well, 2 out of 3 anyway. This is the recent reissue of the Revell 1/25 56 Chevy Delray. I wanted to do this as as worn patina finish on the outside with a nice shiny restored interior. 

56_Chevy_Sun_1_1920x1080

The exterior was painted using a salt chipping technique I learned from YouTube. I started with Mr Surfacer Black Primer, then Vallejo Dark Rust, then splotches of Vallejo Light Rust. I masked the white half, brushed the body with water and added coarse and fine salt. I painted on a grey primer and then added more salt and painted a white primer followed by Tamiya Pearl White Lacquer. This gave a nice 2 layer effect to the peeling paint.

56_Chevy_Sun_5_1920x1080

Once the paint was done, I added all of the trim in Bare Metal Foil and then used some Vallejo Light Rust over the whole body. I also used some Tamiya Panel Liner in the trim and door gaps.

56_Chevy_Sun_3_1920x1080

I dropped the ride height as low as I could without grinding the frame rails down. I 3D modelled the rims after the Detroit Steel Wheel style and printed them on my Elegoo Mars printer. They were sized to fit the kit tires and hubcaps.

56_Chevy_Sun_7_1920x1080

All of the chrome except the hubcaps was stripped, sanded smooth and repainted with Alclad Chrome and then weathered with washes and paint.

56_Chevy_Sun_8_1920x1080

The salt gave some great happy accidents - my favourite one being the bubbling paint effect on the rear quarter panel.

56_Chevy_Sun_6_1920x1080

The interior was built box stock but with shiny paint finishes to contrast the unrestored exterior.

Some more details shots:

56_Chevy_Sun_12_1920x1080

56_Chevy_Sun_9_1920x1080

56_Chevy_Sun_13_1920x1080

Thanks for looking,

Martin.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

Martin, you've managed to produce yet another work of art, what a pleasure to look at. That first pic is bang on. I love the wheels and the ride height too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Its a bit of a cliche,  but in this case it is most definitely appropriate,  ' I thought I was looking at a photo of a real car'.  Stunning model,  it's a real art th heavily age a model without overdoing it.   Great photos to.  Andy

• Thanks 1

Not a huge fan of rat rods, but I do like a really well done model of one - and that's a very, very well done model! Superb work again Martin and as usual brilliantly well set off by your excellent photography!

Keith

• Thanks 1

Best weathering job I’ve ever seen on an automotive subject. I’m not a big fan of foil on trim (never mastered it myself) but I love how it looks on this ‘56 with the weathering added. The door handles and key hole beneath it looks so real - are these the stock as molded Revell features or did you do some enhancement? Also love your background graffiti wall - is this photoshopped or did you buy or scratch build it? It complements the car perfectly!

• Thanks 1

Nice! My wife built one of those but in mint condition, teal and white 2 tone. Looks more

like a few of the beaters my dad owned. NICE job on the weathering!!!---John

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the great comments - appreciate it!

12 hours ago, nearsightedjohn said:

The door handles and key hole beneath it looks so real - are these the stock as molded Revell features or did you do some enhancement?

The door handles are the kit pieces with the panel liner wash on them and the key holes are molded into the body, I just added Bare Metal Foil and then drew the vertical line in with a fine tip black felt pen.

12 hours ago, nearsightedjohn said:

Also love your background graffiti wall - is this photoshopped or did you buy or scratch build it?

I shot the picture of the pavement and sidewalk and found the graffiti wall photo on a free photo site online. I print them out and then shoot the car in front of them - no photoshopping required.

• Like 1

All this comes from a tortured mind 🤒

Sigmund Freud

.... Was just kidding :) Am very impressed by the skills you own to make a masterpiece, building the exact opposite way of the genre's classics 👍

• Thanks 1

I was at a big annual car show a couple of years ago. Gone were the days when they were all shiny and sleek.   Of the 200 or so cars there I bet 160 of them looked just like this model. Most even had a coat of sealer over them to keep them looking just like that.

Little did I know back in 1993 that my hand rolled coat of primer with the rust bleeding through would one day be the "cool" look!

attachment.php?attachmentid=187819&stc=1

• Thanks 1

On 3/24/2021 at 8:15 AM, Tcoat said:

Of the 200 or so cars there I bet 160 of them looked just like this model.

I think the look is popular but also the cost of show quality paint jobs is pretty high these days. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, gt6mkiii said:

I think the look is popular but also the cost of show quality paint jobs is pretty high these days. 

That and the whole 'patina as an art form' and 'as found' movement over the last decade or so. I don't mind the look myself.

• Like 1

I can imagine that stalking modern muscle cars and embarrassing them!

Great build.

• Thanks 1