1/48 - Fairchild Republic A-10C Thunderbolt II by Academy - released - new boxings by Hobby 2000

Homebee

I agree with you and I also worked on some aircraft model designs before. The work is huge and there are details that we forget to check sometimes. With the aircraft I designed, some antennas were wrong but the client was happy,  the dimension isn't that accurate compared to the factory design.

Maybe Academy made this model in the rush, that's why the engine fan was wrong, I can design that part and print it on my own, or the other option is to buy the aftermarket stuff. GWH should make a nice A-10 but I won't wait for it, I'm happy with the Academy's.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, peterburns said:

The idea that a plastic model is perfect is unrealistic at best.  Regardless of the manufacturer, cost or how recently it was made.  

Not a question of being perfect,just a question of being as accurate as possible. And considering that Academy invested in a new tooling of the A-10 and still made the same error as seen in previous kits, I think the criticism is acceptable. The engines of the A-10 are one of their main characteristics, that neither Italeri or Hobbyboss got right on their kits. One would think that Academy would learn from them and not make a kit that right out of the gate needs aftermarket parts to correct it.

• Like 2

So this should add fuel to the fire. 🙂 Started last night and ran into issues with first assembly (nose gear well). Part A66 was short-shot so had to do quick-and-dirty mod with styrene (see photo). Also, had to shave a couple of tabs to get things to fit. Hope this isn't indicative of rest of build. 😮

spacer.png

Edited by Porkbits
Photo edit
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Porkbits said:

So this should add fuel to the fire. 🙂 Started last night and ran into issues with first assembly (nose gear well). Part A66 was short-shot so had to do quick-and-dirty mod with styrene (see photo). Also, had to shave a couple of tabs to get things to fit. Hope this isn't indicative of rest of build. 😮

spacer.png

Yours does appear short shot, but it was an odd appearing assembly at first too. Those two pipes don’t join. When you add a sidewall piece in the next step, they each come to a bulkhead and attached on either side. 

I had no issues with fit on this stage, but my experience from prior recent Academy builds is they are pushing to a “snap fit” style. I had to lightly sand a few tabs and slots to get parts fully seated. Without doing that, it would have been easy to not fully seat a part and end up misaligned. 

Edited by ESzczesniak

3 minutes ago, ESzczesniak said:

Yours does appear short shot, but it was an odd appearing assembly at first too. Those two pipes don’t join. When you add a sidewalk piece in the next step, they each come to a bulkhead and attached on either side. 

Ooooh crap lol. So I prob not short shot…I just didn’t understand the instructions.  Sigh. In my defense, the print and diagrams are small and hard to see at my age. 😞

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Porkbits said:

Ooooh crap lol. So I prob not short shot…I just didn’t understand the instructions.  Sigh. In my defense, the print and diagrams are small and hard to see at my age. 😞

I think yours does look short shot. The gap on mine was only about 2 mm and the part has a bend down and out near the end of the longer section. 

Edited by ESzczesniak

9 minutes ago, ESzczesniak said:

I think yours does look short shot. The gap on mine was only about 2 mm and the part has a bend down and out near the end of the longer section. 

Ok, good to know, thanks. Guess I can just say I took some artistic license with that assembly. 

Yeah, that nose landing gear and bay assembly was pure misery. 😞  So fiddly I waited until after assembly to paint everything. I'm not sure what I'm missing, but if you attach the nose gear support using the provided hole in the wheel well structure, the gear is slanted forward at a ridiculous angle. So I cut the locating pin off the support and glued the support further back. Not sure what I'm missing or if my brain has suddenly leaked out of my head and I can't read instructions but......Hoping that doesn't affect assembly down the road.

Anyway, last rant! I won't turn this into a build log lol.

17 hours ago, Porkbits said:

spacer.png

I think that you will have trouble with the A68 late with your add, I follow the build notice, it's not very clear in fact. A small part for the junction of the two tubes is present on the A68, please take a look to those picture and it's no doubt that Academy made a great job for this aircraft in the 1/48 scale. some pieces compare to the MasterModels, the Pod is also nice, no need for a resin add on.

IMG-1397.jpg
IMG-1398.jpg
IMG-1399.jpg
IMG-1394.jpg
IMG-1395.jpg
IMG-1396.jpg
upload img

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ESzczesniak said:

Shameless plug...

Followed! Thanks for heads up. Disappointing that the instructions seem to be such a mess. 😞 Guess I was spoiled by my last build (ZM F-4J). First time I thought the instructions actually OVER explained things lol.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, salomon said:

I think that you will have trouble with the A68 late with your add, I follow the build notice, it's not very clear in fact. A small part for the junction of the two tubes is present on the A68, please take a look to those picture and it's no doubt that Academy made a great job for this aircraft in the 1/48 scale. some pieces compare to the MasterModels, the Pod is also nice, no need for a resin add on.

Thanks for the heads up. I actually caught that potential problem with A68 so trimmed back some of my piping "handwork." Everything should fit now.

On 2/23/2023 at 1:27 PM, Jabba said:

Just read an email from Jadlam that they have this kit in stock.

That's worth knowing as I've had mine on pre-order (and paid for) from them for months but no sign of it.  Not the end of the world to chase it up but now the A-10 is showing as "out of stock" on their website... grrrr! 😠 They could have at least advised me of a supply issue if that's the case and let me know the situation (days/weeks/months...?).  

Anyway an opportunity perhaps to review others' builds in progress and potential pitfalls...:popcorn:

Edit: Guess what just turned up (unannounced) in the post this morning?! An Academy A-10C! :thumbsup:

Many thanks Jadlam and apologies for my doubting I guess there is a lot of new stuff going out at the moment... should've given it a bit longer before whinging :sorry:

Rich 

Edited by RichG
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Shaun said:

Will Academy release an A-10A in  the future?.

Any early A-10 would need the removal of the formation light strips..and a new cockpit.

If they don't do it, Great Wall Hobby (GWH) is to release A-10A, A-10A+ & A-10C.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235108534-148-fairchild-republic-thunderbolt-ii-warthog-by-gwh/

V.P.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

FYI before this thread is obsolete/not needed/closed - got the airframe together by NOT following the instructions. 🙂 Fit is good if you take your time and test fit. Also used the Wolfpack intake set (available in the States), which is really nice. Makes a big difference. Whether or not that difference is worth the money is up to the individual. Hope everyone enjoys their builds!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1