A DH Vampire (another boring ehrrr... exciting 28 Sqn build)

Oh man. I’m away for a bit and look atcha. I must applaud your resilience with this build and CA in general. I was actually joking about the canopy but boy I didn’t expect this. 😬 what you have looks good. I’d focus on that. I think Giorgio’s idea of an open canopy is a good one. If it looks right. Thanks for the great thread but wow it’s fighting you all the way. Hats off to you sir on a courageous battle you’re fighting well. 

Johnny

• Like 1

On 4/27/2021 at 12:21 AM, Wlad said:

Hi Hendie,

You need a miniature English wheel to curve those gun bay panels to shape... This build is getting more scary with each step. Just when you think you conquered a problem, another one raises its ugly head. You're doing great so far. 

Cheers,

Wlad

and this is the kit that just keeps on giving, and giving, and giving...

On 4/27/2021 at 1:12 AM, Fritag said:

That’s the spirit!

I reckon the best you can hope for Alan, is that this build is an example of Type 2 fun.  If it is, then at least you’ve got a lot of pleasure to look forward to :)

It’s also a cracking read for the rest of us and a great showcase of modelling skill.  Is that any consolation?

Consolation Steve?  I don't think there's anything that could console me after this kit

On 4/27/2021 at 2:45 AM, Head in the clouds. said:

Is that the fault of CA or the company who made the PE to fit the CA kit? Seems to me you are fighting on two fronts here and that as we all know is a no-no.

A thought with your words in mind, why not just launch the un-built kit into air and glue it on the way down back to earth, it could not be any worse for you....

You have the patience of a saint, I don't mind a challenge but this is brutal.

Yes, Yes, and Yes.  All of the above

On 4/27/2021 at 3:33 AM, giemme said:

Oh boy....

What if you leave the canopy open? Is the mismatch that noticeable?

Ciao

that's my plan Giorgio. It's not quite as noticeable when the canopy is open

On 4/27/2021 at 4:03 AM, perdu said:

Blimey Alan, it is only a canopy.

Are you seriously dedicated to using crap pieces made by morons when you could be working with pieces that fit, no, suit each other made by a craftsman.

Time to make the things yourself, you are letting the less than mediocre take centre/center stage.

Says Bill from the land of unchanging landscape where the air doesn't violently redefine the land ever so often.

:(

with this kit Bill, I don't really have any choice.  I'm kind of wishing I had just gone for the Trumpeter kit - those inaccuracies may have been easier to fix

On 4/27/2021 at 4:32 AM, Dave Swindell said:

That's one powerful extractor fan you have there Alan!

Extractor?  That was my temper tantrum!

On 4/27/2021 at 10:31 AM, RichieW said:

Looks like no single part of this kit wants to co-operate! Aluminium tape looks like a powerful ally, I had better get some for the bitter struggle I have ahead of me.

Aluminum tape is very handy.  Classic Airframes kits on the other hand...

On 4/27/2021 at 4:55 PM, The Spadgent said:

Oh man. I’m away for a bit and look atcha. I must applaud your resilience with this build and CA in general. I was actually joking about the canopy but boy I didn’t expect this. 😬 what you have looks good. I’d focus on that. I think Giorgio’s idea of an open canopy is a good one. If it looks right. Thanks for the great thread but wow it’s fighting you all the way. Hats off to you sir on a courageous battle you’re fighting well. 

Johnny

I may have lost the war, but I haven't won the battle, No! Wait...

On 4/28/2021 at 3:24 AM, John_W said:

Good grief, and I thought the Trumpeter kit was a challenge...

this has to be the absolute worst kit I have ever come across.  Definitely no more CA kits in my future. Ever!

On 4/28/2021 at 3:59 AM, Biggles87 said:

I am in awe of your grit and perseverance, I gave up on mine after a couple of weeks.

I reckon you should be finished just in time for the new Airfix release, even if it is a different mark.

John

I don't blame you for giving up on it.  It really is that bad a kit.  However, I need a 1/48 Vampire in my collection, and I'm too tight to buy another

Lots has happened over the last week and just as much lots has unhappened as this damnable kit fights back even more.  I'll begin with the more positive stuff though.

The PE fret supplies a very nicely etched canopy rail. Such a shame it was too long.  It would be easy to cut but to be honest, there's absolutely nothing to glue it onto so I know it's just going to ping off at the first available opportunity so I'm not even going to bother wit this bit.

P4250011.jpg

I did use these parts of the PE fret - after cutting them down as they were also too long.  Don't ask me why I decided to paint the front part of the canopy frame grey, and then green for the rest.  I don't have an answer - but I'm not taking it off again so it's staying grey.

P4260001.jpg

More fairing in of the canopy with Mr Dissolved Putty. A bit more work required but this is probably my best attempt at fairing in a canopy - such a shame it has to be on this kit!

P4260002.jpg

The "rails" as molded on the kit are too short, so some scrap styrene was use to add some length - to be sanded and filed back later

P4260003.jpg

The canopy in its approximate position.  The mismatch isn't so obvious unless you know it's there. 

I know it's there

P4270005.jpg

The mirror was added, with some BMF as the "glass", then painted grey after the camera was put away

P4280008.jpg

To take my mind off things and to try and relax I switched tack and went to do some work on the undercarriage legs.  I found these actuators on the PE fret - actually for the flaps, but they looked like they might be suitable candidates for the torque links, with a bit of scratch building.

P4270006.jpg

I then spent two modeling sessions faffing about trying to get something I was even remotely happy with before scrapping the PE and using these two torque links from another kit.

Sometimes it's pays just to keep it simple.

P4280007.jpg

Some aluminum foil was cut into thin strips to add some take away some of the blandness

P4280009.jpg

Then everything was given a coat of Alclad white aluminum, followed by some Flory wash.  Wheels painted up while the airbrush was in full swing.

P4290010.jpg

Most of the Flory was wiped off later.  For some reason I am never happy with the "weathering" I end up with.  Everyone else's looks way more realistic than anything I achieve.

P5010020.jpg

It doesn't really matter 'cos once the wheel is on you're not going to see much of anything anyway.

P5010021.jpg

Now here is where things get really interesting.

Things had been going well, or at least as well as can be expected with this kit, so in a moment of madness I pulled out the airbrush, batched up some Mr Hobby Aqueous Dark Sea Grey and lookee here folks...

What a difference!

P4290011.jpg

Mr Hobby did the job wonderfully.  I really enjoy using their paints.  Mix 1:1 with their leveling thinner and the paint goes on a treat.

It's almost looking like a Vampire was meant to look now.

P4290012.jpg

and by far my best attempt at fairing in windscreens

P4290013.jpg

That was left for a couple of days for the paint to cure up, then it was time for masking.

Of course it was too much to ask that things go well in this build for two successive sessions.... while masking up, I went to reposition some blue-tac and surprise!!!

The paint stayed in place, but the Alclad primer lifted off right down to the plastic  :angry:

P4300014.jpg

No worries says I, I'll just do some BDR in situ.  Well, those weren't my actual words at the time.  Those were my words after an hour or so and things had quietened down a tad.

Anyways, out came the micromesh, and the surrounding area was yes, you guessed it, sanded back, and I feathered, or tried to feather it as best I could.  After that it was back out with the Alclad primer again.  

P4300015.jpg

Some time later, the dark sea grey was applied again, and masked up again, gain, again.  This time I got the masking in the right place and it was time to apply the dark green.

A few passes and the green (model master) appears to be going down nicely.  Model Master have been my go-to paints for the last few years, but I'm in the process of switching out to Mr Color/Mr Hobby/Mr Funny Name as Testors/MM was bought out by some large corporation and are now discontinuing 90% of the color range.

But back to the story... as I was doing the first area, something caught my eye in the light, so I paused...

P4300016.jpg

Well, look at that folks!   Crazing!  :yikes:  :angry::wall::rage::suicide:

P4300017.jpg

Now I've never had this before. Ever.  I've used MM paints on top of Mr Hobby before with no issues.

What have I done to deserve this?  Can anything else go wrong with this build?  (No!  Don't answer!)

Initially I tried rubbing down just the affected area but as I couldn't get in under the blue-tac, I did what I should have done to start with and just remove all the masking

and then guess what!  Hooray, more primer lifting  :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

P5010018.jpg

... :hmmm:

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47y5j2ll0cob9vttnhtj

If there is such a thing as a bright side to this, it's the fact that this happened now, and not after I'd finished painting the full camo pattern.  THAT would have been soul destroying.

SO for the last few days I have been mostly sanding

P5010019.jpg

I feel I've been here before

P5010022.jpg

Anyhoos, the Vampire WAS PRIMED AGAIN yesterday.  There was no real surprise as I saw a blister pop up on one of the wings, so today when the primer had cured, I started dabbing tamiya tape all over it and oh hell yeah... lots more paint lift. Cue more micromeshing, wash, rinse, and repeat.

I really don't know what's going on here.  I have my suspicions about the current batch of Alcad primers I have. Both the grey and the black have been subject to adhesion problems which I've never had before with Alcad primer.  The black is somewhat more prone to detach itself than the grey is so I only use that for small areas now, but the grey has been my go-to for several years, and now I'm seriously having second thoughts about it.

Cut to the chase... Another coat of (alcad) primer was applied today. I'm giving that a few days to harden up before applying the dark sea grey.  I've also purchased some Mr Hobby dark green so it will be Mr Hobby going down on Mr Hobby (if you'll excuse the phrase), and not Model Master, so hopefully I will not see a recurrence of the crazing issue. 

As a form of therapy I have started another build.  Yes I know I have the Wapiti on the go, but this just sort of fell into my hands yesterday and it's sparked a bit of excitement for me.  Nice simple kit, nothing fancy though I may have a little modification to do here and there to bring it up to scratch (no pun intended)

Yours,

Hendie, the almost, but not quite defeated.

• Like 18
  • Sad 2

I hit the like button but not sure I enjoy seeing such great effort getting punished quite so severely! Do you have any Mr Finishing Surfacer to hand, it's my go to primer now? I had problems with Alclad primer the first (and last) time I tried it. Great modelling stamina and spirit though mate. 👏👏👏

• Like 1

Similarly,  I hit the like button for your perseverance,  Alan. And the model looked so good under its primer coat... :shrug:

Ciao 

• Like 1

Ouch! This model bites. Sorry to see more trouble.

I've had Alclad grey primer lift on me before during masking many years ago. I had primer (cured for a day), then duraluminum, then masked for some red details and the primer lifted with the Tamiya tape. So I let it all dry for a week and had no problems afterwards on that build. I repeated the process, perhaps waiting longer than a week, on another model which had a similar treatment. I was not impressed with primer lifting. It defeats one of the points of priming.

As for the crazing, it is possible the grey had not fully cured and the different solvent on the green triggered some reaction. Again, waiting longer for the grey to cure may prevent this.

Good luck,

Wlad

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well Alan; this is something like build thread meets misery memoir!   I feel so guilty for enjoying the read that I thought I’d better refrain from ‘liking’ your last post :blush:

Giorgio is right about it looking so good under the primer coat tho’. :D

Maybe forgo the blue tac next time around in favour of cut-out paper masks and de-stickyfied tamiya tape?  He diffidently suggests......

As I’m full of bank holiday morning optimism, buoyed by the first caffeine hit of the day,  I’m solidly confident that a hendie ™️ beautiful vampire will still be the end result.  Misery memoir meets happy ending......

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

OH DEAR,  or words to that effect! So thats Alclad primer off my shopping list, I've never had much success with their metallic paints either. I'll just stick to Halfords rattle-can acrylic primer.

Keep on keeping on.

John

• Like 1

Sorry to hear of your paint woes, as already said your Vampire looked stunning in its primer coat.

A stunning silk purse will appear from this sows ear I'm sure

Stay safe            Roger 

• Like 1

I got all excited back there. Grey paint! Oh dear. Commiserations. 

I just use cheap rattle can primer and generally have no problems. 

Good luck with the next painting sessions.

• Like 1

True confessions time

I very often forego the 'pleasure' of priming a model if its base colours are generally consistent

I used primers on many of the builds I dislike most afterwards and that was mostly because I added thickness to the paint layers and lost some degree of the modelling it was supposed to protect, hence I have never actually liked my Wessie HAR2 because the primer I used to get an even coat of yellow became a monster layer.

https://i.postimg.cc/9FjbRVg2/SAR-Wessex-SAR-kit22-012.jpg

Maybe a modelling god is trying to give you advice, 'straight paint over' might just do the job, especially the Mr Hobby RAF green, lovely paint honest.

• Like 2

Ouch! This kit seems to be finding new ways of trying your patience.

Still, it seems that the incredible Hendie skill set is managing to turn this sow's ear into a silk purse of great beauty.

I have just remembered that I have this kit in the stash. I shall now go in search of strong drink in an attempt to forget about it again!

Cheers!

Dave

• Haha 1

I admire your perseverance/sheer bloody mindedness (delete as appropriate) and the end product will be a testament to your skills.

If it’s any consolation, the Airfix Hunter when you get it, is a dream of a kit fit-wise.

Trevor

• Like 2

It’s like myriad rakes lying on your garden. Constantly poised to spring forth a bat you in the face at every step. The sadist in me wants to start the CA Whirlwind to fight the good fight along with you but as Jim’s Mustang needs doing I have pushed it to the back of my cupboard.  (For now) like the closet monster I know it’s there. Waiting in the dark. 🖤

Crappyness aside your progress is looking good. I think the canopy is working open and when the primer actually stays put she looks rather fetching. 
I shall seek out your other build. Hmmmm wonder what it is. 🤔

Johnny

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Red Rat said:

Ouch! This kit seems to be finding new ways of trying your patience.

Still, it seems that the incredible Hendie skill set is managing to turn this sow's ear into a silk purse of great beauty.

I have just remembered that I have this kit in the stash. I shall now go in search of strong drink in an attempt to forget about it again!

Cheers!

Dave

A tip for you Dave.

Kit polystyrene gives off a lovely dense black smoke as it burns, just in case you get lost in the vast Australian emptiness.

Just saying...

Looking at what Alan has had to contend with it may be a better thing to do with it.

🤭😃😃😃

• Haha 5

I feel your pain Hendie, that primer coming off down to bare plastic is a real headache, something must have changed down at Alclad HQ for this to happen so often. I may have to reconsider my use of it too, at least until the shows start up again and I can throttle ask the Alclad team what has changed. 😃

She was looking good though with a dollop of paint on her, you hard graft was not in vain.👍

• Like 1

Hmmm, so you have "progressed" from Fly Wessie to this...I hate to think what may be next! 

I have some 1:72 Merlin "kits" you might like to try your hand at!

Ian

(There's no such thin as an "unbuildable" kit, just some that require substantially more effort than others!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've just read through this thread and I have to take my hat off to you. Not only have you perservered with I've just read through this thread and I have to take my hat off to you. Not only have you persevered with a kit that most people would have dropped in the bin ages ago, but you’ve beaten it into submission. The paint issues are undoubtedly frustrating, though I have no doubt you’ll overcome those and end up with a cracking looking model. I’m pulling up a chair for the home straight on this one

• Like 1

thanks for all the comments and commiserations folks.  Much appreciated.

I'll dispense with the customary mail call this time around as everyone is saying pretty much the same thing.  Yup, these paint issues are a real pain but I am working my way through them.  This is never going to be a show winner and when it's finished (it will be one way or the other) it's going straight to the back of the display cabinet in the darkest corner I can find.

Paint has arrived, but I've been beavering away on the Whirlwind this week as it has captured my motivation so the Vampire was left in the corner with an occasional dirty look in it's general direction.  Therefore, this weeks mahoosive update is confined to a single shot.  Here we are (again!) in dark sea grey

P5070017.jpg

The primer was on there for a week before the grey went down and I'm going to leave the grey for a week before I mask up for the dark green - then we'll see what happens this time around.

Now over to the Whirlwind thread where things are falling apart.  More dismembered than falling apart really

• Like 11