Sierra Albatros CVII

This looks very interesting. Back in the day, I always got the impression that Sierra was one of the best vacform brands around. I never ended up with one, so I will follow and see if that holds true! It looks like a very sleek aircraft.

All the best with it,

Ray

vCg5sHh.jpg
NT9RJ7R.jpg

Have made a start and cut out the main parts. The lower wings are painted using Hu 65 Spanish Blue which isn't a bad match to the WSDF colour patterns. Internally there is a floor with a petrol tank and the seat sits on top. Three bulkheads will come in handy and I'll probably add some strip to aid with aligning the fuselage halves. White metal parts include the prop and spinner, exhaust, axle claw brake and a spandau and parabellum. No ring for the latter but I have a spare. There is also a Benz engine but I'm going to model the winter version which has most of the engine hidden behind the raised cowling. I'm saving the Benz for another project so I'm going to use the cylinders and tappets from an Eastern Express Starstrutter. These just have to show a little above the top of the wind guards so should be ok. I'm going to crew up so I'm not going overboard with the internals.

• Like 5

A little progress to report. Cockpit internals installed. Extras include a control column and rudder pedals from spares. I'd have liked a control wheel but there's none left and tiny wheels would drive me to distraction. In the rear cockpit I've added a flip up seat and a black box to act as the radio. Gunner is Franz from the Airfix Hannover. The upper section of the engine is also in place and the wings are going to get another coat of Spanish Blue.

HkIPq8A.jpg

• Like 5

Thanks Adrian. Most of these aircraft had natural wood fuselages so I'm going for that. I have been using Revell SM382 to replicate ply recently, particularly on Austro Hungarian types. Using a dry brush with paint only on the tip I lightly tap the surface to try and get a wood effect. This time I would like to get something nearer to the warm yellow description hence the addition of HU 7. My colour guide is the WSDF 77.

Regards, Steve

• Like 1

Just found this Steve. I too have followed some of your vacuform builds over the years and must write how I respect the way in which you turn lumps from plastic sheet into very good models. This one looks as though it will be very similar.

PS I thought that the character in the Airfix Hannover was Frederik.

• Haha 1

I must check out the group build area more often. I had no idea there would be so many vac WWI kits being built here. I could have guessed maybe, but it seems from the main site that everyone is afraid of rigging.

I'll be following!

Ian

• Like 4

On 4/7/2021 at 9:59 PM, pheonix said:

Just found this Steve. I too have followed some of your vacuform builds over the years and must write how I respect the way in which you turn lumps from plastic sheet into very good models. This one looks as though it will be very similar.

PS I thought that the character in the Airfix Hannover was Frederik.

Thanks Steve, you should really try one. BTW Franz und Emil are the observer and pilot respectively. My source is PM Grosz of WSDF fame. Frederick is probably a von somebody.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Brandy said:

could have guessed maybe, but it seems from the main site that everyone is afraid of rigging.

Not everyone , I actually like rigging.

23e5215e-bb0d-4ea3-9c19-da0ed861e402.jpeI’d have to for things like this :) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

mbHJ79S.jpg

I ran out of suitable iron crosses which led to a slow down in production. I made the ear type side radiators. There are sections on the card that have grille patterns to use. I shaped a couple and added 10 thou strips to the outer edges and a couple of pieces of strip as the base which allows a gap between the radiator and the fuselage. Apparently this gap improved the efficiency compared to earlier sorts used on the Roland's for instance. An over engine reservoir is again required and this one is a slightly different design. It was shaped from a bit of card and sits on rod pipes.

I have built WW1 kits for close to fifty years but still regard rigging as a chore which I try to keep to an acceptable minimum.

• Like 5

Delighted to see a Sierra vacform being built, lots of us have at least one of these manufacturers kit in the stash, you are giving us all the perfect reason to build them !

Cheers Pat 

• 2 weeks later...

Have resumed work on this one today. Got distracted by what was supposed to be the fall back build while paint dried. Not much to add but I've attached the radiators and drilled the location holes for the struts. Windscreen and cabanes will be next, not forgetting some rigging holes before the lower wings are attached.

XFZjxCJ.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Production has resumed after further distractions. I've managed to get the wings in place after several mishaps. First, I knocked the port lower off and took two attempts to relocate. Then the rear cabane was too short and had to be cut out. Then the starboard inner interplane strut holes were not aligned. I've redrilled the forward hole to get the strut straight and replaced the rear cabane supports. Just to make the day complete the starboard radiator was too low and had to be removed. I think I'm ready to sort the rest of the struts now but what a kerfuffle.

0sOoMd1.jpg
qfECr5Y.jpg

• Like 5

So right P. This one has fought me all the way. I forgot to mention the observer's gun ring that didn't like it's intended home. The observant will notice one of the wing struts is not quite in alignment. I'd relocated the others but as one can guess it is the one that was most secure. As an appeasement to the modelling gods in a quest for a quieter life I've decided to leave it where it is. It seems to be working as I've managed to rig the wings and install the undercarriage without any, touch wood, further interventions from outside influences. Can see the end now.

50NXXJ1.jpg
gC7d0lI.jpg

• Like 5

Bringing this one to a close to clear the decks for the Under a Tenner GB. As others have noted I'm also suffering from GB overlap. Since the last post the undercarriage was constructed from 20x40 strip. The axle is 30thou rod with a cover made from 30x80 strip. I cut a groove with a saw and file for the axle. I don't usually bother with the cover but the CVII has an axle brake and I fancied adding the white metal part and needed the extra width. Wheels are the kit parts which were cut out and had card inserts stuck into the backs. The trap doors for any internal bombs and presumably camera work are represented by a couple of transfers I found in the spares. A tiny bit of rod acts as the weight on the end of the aerial line and the tail skid is white metal and came with the kit. Final work was at the front end with a cap for the water reservoir and the exhaust stack, the spinner and prop are white metal kit parts and the wireless dynamo is from something I found in the spares. No idea what is was or came from. The crew are Airfix with Emil the pilot transferring from Roland CII's and Franz fancied a change from the Hannover. Will post final shots in the Gallery.

GqqRY7l.jpg
MPI0RSF.jpg

Edited by stevehed
  • Like 4