USAAF PR pilots flight gear ETO. questions

DOD

Hi there

Working on a pilot figure for my Spitfire PR XI of 14th PRS at Mount Farm and trying to find some information on what the pilots wore.

I have seen the great little video WWII USAF Spitfire XI with "PRU-Blue" Color Scheme. link:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etmnFrZYJG4

There are three pilots featured and I have taken some screenshots. There is an additional photo of John Blyth.

The first two seem to be wearing standard coveralls. One with a mae wet and one without. The second pilot seems to have lots of wires attached. Radio connections but what else? Possible brown leather jacket underneath? The third pilot is wearing something different again. I cannot tell if it is coveralls or jacket and trousers, though they look padded. There is also a map/document pocket on his right thigh. The John Blyth photo seems different again. Is it coveralls or jacket and trouser, but with a fur collar? Also the map/document pocket. White gloves are a surprise too.

I am sure they wore different outfits depending the mission but there seems to be quite a variety! Any clarification as to what they are wearing would be appreciated.

Regards

David

Pilot 1

y4mMikL-R_5kaooXPSKB5okfW_baP-Ybqh_Ea5Os

Pilot 2.

y4ms_ssQQtyX-KcEjpw9tFAc28RUn0NeceKJX2Ga

Pilot 3.

y4mm5SQleCzA8Q_hIzcCPL7RDnv0l8ptUEGhvD1y

John Blyth.

y4myLlH9z-g7LOa5RUx8VBoaipAJwZ-KZcEYA85Q

The Osprey Publications "Men-At-Arms" series may have the answers for you. I don't know which title would have it; but, you can look for USAAF titles for it/them. HTH

Joe

There was a book for collectors published about 25 years ago called something like "Gear Up" which goes into a lot of detail on USAAF flying clothing and equipment and has a lot of photos of headgear overalls and jackets. I seem to remember reading something about USAAF aircrew wearing RAF pattern helmets and sometimes Mk.VIII goggles when flying British types as the oxygen masks remained the RAF pattern, but the RAF helmet was used by other aircrew as well. 

Ahah  - found what I was looking for after a few false starts 

Jon A Maguire, Gear Up!: Flight Clothing & Equipment of USAAF Airmen in WWII (Schiffer Military/Aviation History). Not an especially cheap book, but probably something available though a public library interloan?

Thanks for the responses, gents.

17 hours ago, JPuente54 said:

The Osprey Publications "Men-At-Arms" series may have the answers for you. I don't know which title would have it; but, you can look for USAAF titles for it/them. HTH

Joe

I had a look but unfortunately they do not seem to have covered this. Only the RAF

14 hours ago, Aidrian said:

There was a book for collectors published about 25 years ago called something like "Gear Up" which goes into a lot of detail on USAAF flying clothing and equipment and has a lot of photos of headgear overalls and jackets. I seem to remember reading something about USAAF aircrew wearing RAF pattern helmets and sometimes Mk.VIII goggles when flying British types as the oxygen masks remained the RAF pattern, but the RAF helmet was used by other aircrew as well. 

Ahah  - found what I was looking for after a few false starts 

Jon A Maguire, Gear Up!: Flight Clothing & Equipment of USAAF Airmen in WWII (Schiffer Military/Aviation History). Not an especially cheap book, but probably something available though a public library interloan?

I have had a look for this and, yes, even second hand it is a bit pricey! I will investigate the library option.

Cheers