Voodoo people, Voodoo! (Revell 1/72 F-101B that is!)

Back in 1994 I was a young lad of 19, about to embark on University studies. That year I also got my first CD-player (a Pioneer PD-S501 IIRC)

The first full length album that I bought for it was Music for the Jilted Generation, by The Prodigy.

Off course, this was blasted as loud as possible, and one track that got a lot of playtime was this

Fast forward 27 years and I still play this track from time to time...

But what has that got to do whit modelling?

Well, nothing, except for the name!

On another Swedish forum that I hang out in, we started a Century Series group build all of a sudden, and since I wasn't keen on digging through the storage to find the stash and some Delta darts/daggers (We're having a new house built, and everything is packed away) I remembered the slightly secret stash on the balcony.

Here I have a small selection of Eduard Spitfires and a little Voodoo:

51013223876_f5965603df_o.jpg

Naturally, I wouldn't be myself if I didn't include some AM-stuff so:

51012504398_7aa1e1bbb0_o.jpg

Right.

The kit looks excellent, and is a couple of years older than Music for the Jilted generation even. Revell really hit a home run here.

I started to hunt for a turned pitot tube as well, because the on in the box looks clunky!

First dryfit is very promising, but it looks to be quite windy in the wheel bays.

51034144383_50f2a1372a_o.jpg

Ok that will need something to make it look a bit better. 

Let's what I can scratch!

(I'm a model starter, twisted model-starter! to paraphrase the late Keith Flint )

• Like 10

This thing is long!

51034876586_5e968f42e0_o.jpg

The wings are quite tiny too...almost like a F-104 (well not really)

The intakes looks quite nice, even though there was a few ejector pins badly placed. Nothing that  smear of filler cannot solve.

On the fuselage the guide pins caused a few sink marks that was filled at the same time.

When boxing in the wheel wells, a few things are apparent.  The top wing is supposed to go onto the bottom win first before the complete wing is mated to fe fuselage.

However, the top wing has tabs to lock it into the proper place. How do you insert the top wing from below and at the same time slot the top wing in place?

I sure can't do that!

Instead, i started to carve away at the fuselage, and built up a little wheel well box:

51034144308_645011f765_o.jpg

After the glue had set somewhat I just sanded it to shape

51034980647_a3b350c63e_o.jpg

That seems to have worked.

The inner  part of thee well  is actually on the lading gear door, as with the entire nose wheel bay.

Those doors will never fall off, that's for sure!

With the basic shape done, I added some greebling to make the flat walls a bit more interesting.

51034144258_43c2d2fba6_o.jpg

t051034980592_48b505ee58_o.jpg

Not accurate at all but fun to do 😎

• Like 11

Hi Christer, when I saw Revell, I was a expecting a re-box of the Matchbox kit, not so. It looks like a nice kit and with the addition of the AM parts, it's going to turn into a little jewel. I'll follow your build with intrest.

Colin

I have just finished this same kit (in RFI).  It does build up very nicely indeed and is quite a size when complete.  The decals in mine were ruined.  Any idea what scheme that you will do?

It's a brilliant kit, taking all the best things from the larger Monogram starting point. My only true qualm are the so called "Slime Lights" they are grossly overscale on both models and are best carved off and replaced with decals.

david

Cracking tune! And the best time to be at uni, I was the same starting year. Cheap beer, competitive sporting activities, parties and Britpop. Glory days.

Nice kit too.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Hi Christer, when I saw Revell, I was a expecting a re-box of the Matchbox kit, not so. It looks like a nice kit and with the addition of the AM parts, it's going to turn into a little jewel. I'll follow your build with intrest.

Colin

Hi Colin! I think I read a review here at Britmodeller some years back where they praised the it. When I saw it on the shelf in the local toy store I figured why not?

Big Interceptors with big rockets is such a alluring concept.

I'm very happy that it isn't an old Matchbox kit though!

10 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Lovely stuff..... This is a good looking kit of a fantastic looking plane. I predict that you will enjoy this! 🔮👍

Thanks Rob!

Yeah, I'm enjoying this one quite much already.

10 hours ago, Booty003 said:

I have just finished this same kit (in RFI).  It does build up very nicely indeed and is quite a size when complete.  The decals in mine were ruined.  Any idea what scheme that you will do?

I'll go and check out the RFI then.

The decals in mine looks fine, so I'll use them. The Oregon bird looks fancier than the Texas star so I'll go with that one. 

6 hours ago, David H said:

It's a brilliant kit, taking all the best things from the larger Monogram starting point. My only true qualm are the so called "Slime Lights" they are grossly overscale on both models and are best carved off and replaced with decals.

david

Thanks for the input Dave. I'll have a look at the slime lights and see if I can remove them without too much trouble.

6 hours ago, TonyOD said:

Not an aircraft I’m at all familiar with, though this is shaping up to be a cracking build.

Thanks Tony!

I have startled to look around for the Kittyhawk one in 1/48, even though everyone recommends to stay away from it.

6 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

Cracking tune! And the best time to be at uni, I was the same starting year. Cheap beer, competitive sporting activities, parties and Britpop. Glory days.

Nice kit too.

Yeah, the 90:s were the good old days weren't they?

Yeah, the Voodoo is a great-looking bird and the kit looks nice! I need to look for a good 1/48 kit.. Always had  asoft spot for the RF-101s since this: (Buck Danny, Alert at Cape Kennedy or something like that..) Where the character Sonny flies it over Cuba iirc.. Looked so cool..

51048234353_96bb8f6c8d_n.jpg

Already complemented your work on the wheelhouses but I will do it again, great job! :)

Voodoo People is a decent track but have you listened to this yet?

The Fighter Pilot Podcast episode on it..

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Christer A said:

Yeah, the 90:s were the good old days weren't they?

You youngsters don't know the half of it...... ‼️

6 hours ago, Christer A said:

the Kittyhawk one in 1/48, even though everyone recommends to stay away from it.

Nothing wrong with it, I reckon. Went together nicely and looks magnificent. I've often fancied having a go with the Monogram century series kit but they're hard to come by and priced rather high when they do turn up. 

The Kittyhawk has a couple of details around the intake shapes that can be dealt with or lived with, but it's a thumbs up from me 👍😎

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

It seems that I've forgotten to update this little thread for quite some time. Ooops!

Well, the build is not dead, far from it, but progress thanks to work/life balance is quite slow.

All the added pressure of having a house built is also taking it's toll.

Sadly, that means that the evenings are spent in front of the telly, in the gym or blasting demons to gibs in Doom Eternal.

But enough about the whining, let's get on to more important bit:

51099201039_cf9d868935_o.jpg

Off course, it needs detail painting and that stuff, but that'll come.

Exhausts, or rather the entire afterburner section of the engine was painted as well. This needs a lot more shades to look like the real thing.
51099661063_28a7d0c8f8_o.jpg
The wheel bays got their coat of interior green, and the flap bay some red.
51099927420_03131ef566_o.jpg

It looks very colorful now. Very fancy.
The kit itself has one of those bad ideas in aircraft modelling. Why must the nose gear be installed before installing it in the fuselage? It will surely break of sooner or later. 
51099217147_b77861c840_o.jpg
Also, the gear covers are integrated in the nose gear walls, so I don't have to worry about them coming loose.

I did forget to install the thing before gluing the fuselage together, but it was possible to split it open and force it into place later.
This will probably also be a tricky masking job...

51099661023_ec155c88c7_o.jpg

Those intakes are another challange. Ejector pin marks in the lip area, slightly "interesting" fit and guide vanes that are 10 times the scale thickness, and also noticeably wedge-shaped instead of looking like a normal piece of sheet metal. Then one have to add the splitter plates in front and get a good fit all over.

We'll see how it goes.

51099119581_d291e9e37b_o.jpg
Main goal is to have the wing roots gap free though, so that's what I'll focus on.

It could work.

With force.

Lots of it!

• Like 3

Following your build and looking forward to updates. My experience with the aircraft happened in the early '80s with 409 squadron during my time with the Canadian Forces. Sadly this aircraft has been neglected by kit manufacturers. Best of luck with this build.

• Thanks 1

It's good to have you along @baldwin8!

The office has now been painted, clearcoated and dirtied up.
51123690198_387b49b306_o.jpg
51123690148_59fa78f7c8_o.jpg

It lacks a flat coat but that'll have to wait until after it's installed properly in the fuselage.

Said process was not trouble free though!

Not only was it supposed to be slid in place from underneath according to Revell, it must also rest on top of the nose gear bay.

This is a tricky job in the best of times, but adding resin to it is probably pushing it a bit to far.

The result was off course no go, and both instrument panels was broken off and the rudder pedals pinged off into oblivion.

51123529109_bdbd665a34_o.jpg
Bugger!

What did I do wrong?

Well, when comparing the Revell 'pit to Pavla it seems that I forgot to shorten it enough.

Pavla is a good 2-3 mm longer which makes it land on the raised part of the nose gear bay, pushing the entire installation far too upwards.

Also add that I didn't thin the floor enough and it's no wonder that failure was the only outcome.

Ok, let's do this properly then!

Out with the motor tool to thin away the flor, saw off the offending front part, repaint the floor, make up some rudder pedals from plastic sheet and try again.

Still, there was some bulkheads in the fuselage to wrestle with, so off with those as well.

That did it!
51152002196_0e24a5a208_k.jpg
Just need to add the cover for the instrument panel and fair in the rear part and it's done.

Whew!

I also took the opportunity to sand off the overscale slime lights.
51152236043_3a8ee9e39d_k.jpg

That's it, now it's time to focus on getting the wings in place, intakes and other little things...

• Like 6

Good to know about the resin pit needing some extra effort to get in. I have the same kit & cockpit waiting for me. 

Cool looking plane the Voodoo, like all the century series fighters. Very nice job so far, that is a great looking pit :)

On 05/05/2021 at 05:35, Christer A said:

Why must the nose gear be installed before installing it in the fuselage?

Well, IMO (and based on the part split being very similar in both), because Revell pantographed down the Monogram 1/48 scale masters, other than switching the wing, fuselage and tail outer surface panel detail from embossed to engraved lines.

One word of warning about the kit weapons load-out: as it stands it includes 2 x AIR-2 Genie rockets, and 2 x AIM-4 Falcons. The Falcons are fine, but the Genie was never issued to the ANG, and was out of service by the dates of the kit schemes anyway.

3 minutes ago, Paws4thot said:

The Falcons are fine, but the Genie was never issued to the ANG, and was out of service by the dates of the kit schemes anyway.

I'm not sure about USAF/ANG operations but the Genie was kept(not actually owned) right until the end of service with the CF-101s in Canada in 1984.

22 minutes ago, baldwin8 said:

Genie was kept(not actually owned) right until the end of service with the CF-101s in Canada in 1984

Agreed, but I was talking specifically about USANG operations since that's what the 2 schemes in the Revell kit are for: There is/was a RCAF scheme in the Monogram 1/48 kit.

1 hour ago, Paws4thot said:

Well, IMO (and based on the part split being very similar in both), because Revell pantographed down the Monogram 1/48 scale masters, other than switching the wing, fuselage and tail outer surface panel detail from embossed to engraved lines.

One word of warning about the kit weapons load-out: as it stands it includes 2 x AIR-2 Genie rockets, and 2 x AIM-4 Falcons. The Falcons are fine, but the Genie was never issued to the ANG, and was out of service by the dates of the kit schemes anyway.

Dang it! Thanks for the info though.

An F-101 without the Genie looks a bit boring, and the fit of the revolving "door" is quite bad, no matter which side is up.

Perhaps one could pose it as an airshow exhibit, with inert rounds?

1 hour ago, Christer A said:

Perhaps one could pose it as an airshow exhibit, with inert rounds?

Some internet scrolling found this of the 119 FIG being prepped for a load. Although it is black and white, I'm guessing inert munition.

6679237923_814f8d2239_b.jpgHappy Hooligan History -25444 by North Dakota National Guard, on Flickr

6679231323_43e351d387_b.jpgHappy Hooligan History 25441 by North Dakota National Guard, on Flickr

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Very interesting shots of the Genies!

It seems that the center body was painted in many different colors. So far I've seen white, grey, red and bright blue.

Well, here is a tiny update of the model itself:

Top wings are on, and so are the major components.
51181942465_287dee18ac_o.jpg
The season of filler is upon me, which always is a good milestone.

I probably could've pushed the cockpit a bit further upwards, but some PPP will hide the worst gaps, and once the canopy is in place I'm sure it will be all right.
51180166987_f9cbc7d06f_o.jpg
The largest issue are the intakes however.
51181643724_58f1a1a2b9_o.jpg
One have to fill and sand them a bit, paint, discover some new poor area, and fill and sand some more.

Luckily the rest of the seams looks to be ok. Once I get to the primer stage, I'm sure something else will pop up.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Well, the summer slowdown is in full effect...but I have managed to acquire a brass pitot-tube.
51263503882_79b65d9553_k.jpg
Compared to what Revell would like me to use, this is a great improvement.
It's not exactly a drop fit, since the nose needs to be sanded a bit to make it fit, but I'll take that.
51265274285_b5e1f32d40_k.jpg
I also opened the auxiliary intakes under the engines, and the one on the front.
51264234826_14a961d1e0_k.jpg

A simple but oh so effective change.

The tail was also attached, so now it seems that I really need to prepare for Primer!
51264425683_1b768f2962_k.jpg

• Like 2

The model definitely looks better with those plank-like slime lights removed.

Regarding the intakes with the splitter plates from hell.... how about fabricating some intake covers to close off the entire intake? Great way to keep away the penlight-wielding modeling judges.

Also, with respect to the weapons bay door... did you think about scratch building one of those travel pods??

-d-

• 1 year later...

Wow, it's been over a year since I touched this one?

Well, I have been building a house...

@David H, intake covers might be a good idea! Well see...

But travel pods is a no go.

My plan right now is to have this finished by Friday night somehow, since I have entered it to a competition over the weekend.

With vacation, where the wife is working and the man-cold is stopping me from outside projects it might work!

I did find a few other nasty snags on this kit.

52255834335_d5c902ac02_k.jpg

That ingate on the search/indentification light goes up on the clear area! Thanks Revell...

Well, I faired it in as best I could, and gave it a polish so it turned out decent in the end.

After priming and more seam checking and so on, I gave it an even coat of RealColor ADC grey.

52255335926_3e0415bac8_k.jpg

Then I just kept on adding the other colors as well.

52258379880_24814d09d2_k.jpg

52258379845_6e24e3337b_4k.jpg

The first attempt at weathering the rear heat shields were also performed, with some simple Tamiya -make up.

I'll get back to that area later.

I also managed to locate the decals, so that's the next stop I think!

• Like 4