MiG 1.44 "Pixel Ghost"

Electric Indigo

The biggest failure of the MiG 1.44 was it's under-inspired late cold war paint scheme. Fortunately, while Sukhoi kept all ressources busy getting the S-37 into the air (somebody attached the wings the wrong way), some patriots donated a truckload of paint, tape and art students to the Mikoyan OKB, and the result was instant air superiority.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

This is the old Zvezda 1/72 kit, with a Hasegawa pilot and Kh-29 missiles from Zvezda's Su-57. For the camo scheme, I used Arma Model's excellent Su-57 masks. Painted with Tamiya acrylics and Vallejo metal color.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Some more shots & progress pics in my Flickr album

• Like 22

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Beautiful. I saved an open tab on my phone last night to remind me to respond to this when I was next in bed.

As others have said the Paint scheme takes this aircraft from "good" to "stunning." It also helps show the similarities with the J-20.

• Thanks 1

Speaking of which, I still have an old J-20 in my stash, I need to come up with a cool scheme for that, too – though the current look of the in service birds is not bad at all.

The J-31 is another example that benefits from an alternative outfit IMO. Beautiful lines on that one.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Too bad you still can't get the lo-viz markings seperately.

• Like 3

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

You made a real looker out of a plane with an otherwise dull paint scheme! I also like your stands which look simple yet delicate and in that do not take

away from the models themselves.

May I ask how you attach the stands on the aircraft models?

• Thanks 1

Simply enough, I just drill a hole in the fuselage at about the center of gravity. The wire is stiff steel wire (not the bendy stuff), and the base is Dibond (PVC sandwiched between aluminium sheets), you can get leftovers for cheap at a signmaker workshop.

On 12/07/2023 at 11:14, Electric Indigo said:

Simply enough, I just drill a hole in the fuselage at about the center of gravity. The wire is stiff steel wire (not the bendy stuff), and the base is Dibond (PVC sandwiched between aluminium sheets), you can get leftovers for cheap at a signmaker workshop.

Thanks for the explanation.

But my question was a little bit off. I meant how did you attach the wire rod to the airframe fuselage for it to be fixed/firm enough?

• 3 months later...