25 minutes ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

Oh darn, I just realized the fin flash I selected to overpaint for USA is not correct for late-1942 (switch from equally wide stripes to narrow white occurred in July 1942)! So now what, more paint and cover it all up, or switch to the correct fin flash? Maybe more paint... looks pretty well covered in the photos!

would anyone really know if you got it wrong? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

would anyone really know if you got it wrong? 

I would ;) but I won't care if they're all covered up, only if the stripes are showing through. So I think I'll just blast them again with more dark green.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

I would ;) but I won't care if they're all covered up, only if the stripes are showing through. So I think I'll just blast them again with more dark green.

sounds like a good plan to me

Edited by Adam Poultney
  • Like 2

Any thoughts on AZ's proposed scheme for Argentina, @Troy Smith or anyone else?

y4m4ZNYdt2jS5msQY6fxzvCxJ8UjJ5kC4aLpoMgg

In essence we're looking at wings that are ocean grey and dark green--reasonable enough, but B scheme can't be right this late on an Mk IV, can it? Then fuselage and stabilizers are mostly dark green and olive green, with ocean grey remaining forward of cockpit; presumably this was "in progress" Argentine camo in terms of the added olive green (and thus why Argentine markings are on fuselage/tail, but RAF remaining on wings), but again seems to suggested the olive green was painted over B scheme. 

Photos don't seem to help much, although if I had to guess based on the bottom one, I do think this is A scheme.

y4mUSrdzch02MsR_Rl3xJCyBP_LZ8RdTTT_QxcRU

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

Any thoughts on AZ's proposed scheme for Argentina

it's based on a profile in a book, maybe the Russian one the scans are from and unless there are some notes, they are guess.    I don't know if there was an official Argentine scheme, I'd be more inclined to think the top is from light and shadow (look at sun angle on top pic, shadow of plane look directly underneath and behind.

What can be seen in the 2nd pic looks like standard RAF camo.    

They idea that te rear fuselage and stabilisers are a different colour  maybe as idea that the faric was replaced.  

I really know very little about this,  There is this thread here

which talk about it being repainted, but it's all a bit vague.   

there is this

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153642816461737&id=535466736&set=o.702573023127581&source=48&__tn__=EH-R

"Hurricane IV KW908 was one of the 1,455 Hurricane II`s and IV`s delivered by Hawker Aircraft between November 22, 1942 and April 19, 1943 against contract 62305/39C After service with 186 and 438 Squadrons. KW908 was sent to 2 Tactical Exercise unit at Grangemouth to provide operational training for fighter and fighter bomber pilots.<br /> On August 19, 1945 KW908 and Spitfire Mk IX PL194 were trasported from 27 MU Shawbury, Shropshire , to Liverpool Docks in readiness for shhipment to Buenos Aires on the merchant vessel SS DURANGO . The ship departed the next day , arriving to Buenos Aires on September 1st, One week later, the Spitfire and the Hurricane were displayed on 9 Julio Avenue as part of an aeronautical exhibition. The exhibition was opened on September 7th, by Presidente General Juan Domingo Peron accompanied by the Ministro de Guerra, Secretario de Aeronautica and other senior officials; they were received by the Jefe en Comisiòn Airstides Fredes, DIrector de Aviaciòn Civil.<br /> The UK was represented in the aircraft park, with examples of the Bristol Freighter, Vickers Viking, Avro Lincoln, Gloster Meteor, and De Havilland Dove on display in addition to the Spitfire and Hurricane. Other overseas types included a C-47 , a Beechcraft expediter and two Fiat G-55&#039;s, while indigenous types included examples of the IAe.22 DL, IAe.24 Calquin, IAe.27 Calquin and IAe.31. Colibri.<br /> After the exhibition, the Spififire and the Hurricane were crated and sent by train to Cordoba were they were used as instructional airframes at the Escuela de Suboficiales. Soon after arrival , argentine national markings were applied to both aircraft, the fuselage roundels sized to cover the red, white and blue of the RAF markings, while the yellow outer rings were painted out. The RAF roundels on the upper wings surfaces appear to have been removed, while the Hurricane retained its underwing markings the RAF fin flashes and serials were painted out. Unfortunately, both aircraft were scrapped some time later.<br /> The Hurricane`s propeller survived and it was displayed at the Museo Nacional de Aeronautica until it disappeared in the mid 90&#039;a.<br /> Both aircraft were presented to the Argentine government by the Air Ministry as military aircraft of historical interest"

HTH

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Troy Smith said:

it's based on a profile in a book, maybe the Russian one the scans are from and unless there are some notes, they are guess.    I don't know if there was an official Argentine scheme, I'd be more inclined to think the top is from light and shadow (look at sun angle on top pic, shadow of plane look directly underneath and behind.

They idea that te rear fuselage and stabilisers are a different colour  maybe as idea that the faric was replaced.  

there is this

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153642816461737&id=535466736&set=o.702573023127581&source=48&__tn__=EH-R

"Hurricane IV KW908 was one of the 1,455 Hurricane II`s and IV`s delivered by Hawker Aircraft between November 22, 1942 and April 19, 1943 against contract 62305/39C After service with 186 and 438 Squadrons. KW908 was sent to 2 Tactical Exercise unit at Grangemouth to provide operational training for fighter and fighter bomber pilots.<br /> On August 19, 1945 KW908 and Spitfire Mk IX PL194 were trasported from 27 MU Shawbury, Shropshire , to Liverpool Docks in readiness for shhipment to Buenos Aires on the merchant vessel SS DURANGO . The ship departed the next day , arriving to Buenos Aires on September 1st, One week later, the Spitfire and the Hurricane were displayed on 9 Julio Avenue as part of an aeronautical exhibition. The exhibition was opened on September 7th, by Presidente General Juan Domingo Peron accompanied by the Ministro de Guerra, Secretario de Aeronautica and other senior officials; they were received by the Jefe en Comisiòn Airstides Fredes, DIrector de Aviaciòn Civil.<br /> The UK was represented in the aircraft park, with examples of the Bristol Freighter, Vickers Viking, Avro Lincoln, Gloster Meteor, and De Havilland Dove on display in addition to the Spitfire and Hurricane. Other overseas types included a C-47 , a Beechcraft expediter and two Fiat G-55&#039;s, while indigenous types included examples of the IAe.22 DL, IAe.24 Calquin, IAe.27 Calquin and IAe.31. Colibri.<br /> After the exhibition, the Spififire and the Hurricane were crated and sent by train to Cordoba were they were used as instructional airframes at the Escuela de Suboficiales. Soon after arrival , argentine national markings were applied to both aircraft, the fuselage roundels sized to cover the red, white and blue of the RAF markings, while the yellow outer rings were painted out. The RAF roundels on the upper wings surfaces appear to have been removed, while the Hurricane retained its underwing markings the RAF fin flashes and serials were painted out. Unfortunately, both aircraft were scrapped some time later.<br /> The Hurricane`s propeller survived and it was displayed at the Museo Nacional de Aeronautica until it disappeared in the mid 90&#039;a.<br /> Both aircraft were presented to the Argentine government by the Air Ministry as military aircraft of historical interest"

HTH

Alright, thanks, @Troy Smith--as always I'm impressed at your research abilities! The addition of the olive green appeals just because it's different, so I might go with it! I read previously that B scheme stopped in 1940, is that right? In which case I think this should be A scheme base of ocean grey/dark green with the olive on top of the rear.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

@Troy Smith, or anyone, do you have any information on when wheels switched from 5-spoke to 4-spoke?

I know some Mk I metal wings are 4-spoke and some are 5.

As best I can determine, 5 spoke were the factory fit on all the L**** and N**** serial Hurricanes,   the first two Hawker batches.  

After that everything is 4 spoke.   This is from photos.  

It is possible some later N**** got 4 spoke, and other in later use got retrofitted, but again, from photos, apart from 2 blade propellers being replaced,  older Hurricanes retained features as built unless repaired.   Note that the first P**** series were built by Gloster. 

I have never seen any reason for the switch, but in the case of the Spitfire (which, AFAIK uses the same wheel hubs)  the 4 spoke could take a greater weight. 

Are all fabric wings 5-spoke?

No, the 50 P**** and V**** serial planes built mid 1940 apart from the fabric wing, are like any other mid production Mk.I

see this thread for details

Are all Mk IIs 4-spoke? 

AFAIK, yes.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

As best I can determine, 5 spoke were the factory fit on all the L**** and N**** serial Hurricanes,   the first two Hawker batches.  

After that everything is 4 spoke.   This is from photos.  

It is possible some later N**** got 4 spoke, and other in later use got retrofitted, but again, from photos, apart from 2 blade propellers being replaced,  older Hurricanes retained features as built unless repaired.   Note that the first P**** series were built by Gloster. 

I have never seen any reason for the switch, but in the case of the Spitfire (which, AFAIK uses the same wheel hubs)  the 4 spoke could take a greater weight. 

No, the 50 P**** and V**** serial planes built mid 1940 apart from the fabric wing, are like any other mid production Mk.I

see this thread for details

AFAIK, yes.  

Great info, thanks, @Troy Smith!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After a satin coat over the decals; a variety of weathering treatments (loads of panel liner [especially on the underside], pastels, silver painting "chipping," and white paint smearing); addition of landing lights, undercarriage, prop, and antenna; a light spay of flat clear; and finally navigation lights painted silver and canopy stuck on, we have USA!

y4mT4uUe6tMIG8Lnw1Ajd1cxLHGLTgdUyn1ed6cj

y4mbpiyZdO-143xFeNbnukXXr1V84A5huqhusP03

I'm pretty pleased with how the painted over decals turned out to represent the aluminum panel under the port stabilizer and the over-sprayed fin flash. At first I wasn't sure I would use that technique again, but now I think I would. 

y4m53mfY9wWsFqGFGq0PoxkGcq07l1TZ46xXn3XW

A few more photos in RFI:

Here again is the photo of the plane crashed in northern Algeria (presumably near Oran).

y4m9bxt1SqWAibaMD1cdU__Di8yOc48CN_WJxnG7

And now we have two continents represented--North America and Australia--in my "around the world" odyssey:

y4mpgms-3x4pqHVsDW0wxOXsd-Z9VdPNi-ZVJMYU

Edited by ModelingEdmontonian
  • Like 6

Well, with Australia and USA complete, four more continents remain and time to sum up where all is at because I've gone back and forth a couple of times on some of this! I "stole" the sprues from the Arma Mk I and Mk IIc Expert kits originally because that's what I had, but I stuck the photo etch back in those boxes and traded back some sprues once I got the Arma Mk I/trop and Mk IIc/trop kits.  So, for phase one, here are the kits I'm actually using with the Airfix club kit and the Arma Mk I/trop kits now complete. While I thought I would use Belgium (Airfix Mk I) for Europe after Poland (AZ Mk I) proved challenging, but I "stole" some Airfix pieces to supplement Poland and we're back to having Poland as phase one's European rep. Also, the Revell kit is in this picture because that's the one my wife started as Greece (it's now in camo stage, as are the rest of these).

y4mpM9QTel2_ke2dHYe7X9Gb3pb4zbypvkD3GLqH

Since these are all either complete or in camo stage, I've queued up these four which will lead the way into phase two.

y4mqd12EKd-s-cSJzj-3Xxx6jZnwyAVkLlNcSxYk

I've already "introduced" Belgium (Airfix top right), while the other Airfix (pretty close to the same kit) will be Kingdom of Yugoslavia; the Arma Mk I will be Ireland and the AZ Mk IId will be Soviet Union (likely the only Mk IId I'll be doing in this project).

By the way, I'm now dividing this project into three phases:

Phase 1: Hurricanes in markings from all six continents (Argentina, Australia, Egypt, Iran, Poland, USA)

Phase 2: Hurricanes in all non-UK allied markings (Belgium, France, Ireland, India, Netherlands, Portugal, South Africa, Soviet Union, Turkey, Yugoslavia [Kingdom and Republic*] + Greece by my wife!)

Phase 3: Hurricane in Axis markings (Finland, Germany, Italy, Japan, Romania)

*I hope--I ordered the AZ kit featuring a Yugo Mk IV, but a month+ on haven't seen it yet :(

By my math, that's 23 Hurricanes, and I'm tempted to add a 24th civilian-marked one, since I have the decals already and am enjoying the Airfix rag wing kits so much, but we'll see about that... The civilian version is on the bottom of the back of this AZ box; some might call it boring, but somehow I find some beauty in its simplicity:

y4mpnrXNtkBUwYKHxKXYFz-7W4Z-vmUaXvP7tzNl

Maybe I'll lose interest before I hit two dozen Hurricanes; but, then again maybe I won't!

• Like 4

Meanwhile, Argentina and Poland are moving along with upper camo.  I sprayed some Tamiya dark green:

y4mQMzegQIV4rOb0EJwusMoAGzRWG1k9_3EWJl74

I will use my Vallejo acrylic dark green to touch some of this up because my masking job is such that certain spots aren't taking much of the spray. I then brushed on a first coat of enamels over top: Humbrol dark brown for Poland and Testors olive green and Humbrol ocean grey for Argentina.

y4m_SNLeiOkB9vwT-mPyjnhFXcbyMbcTA91sGv5g

There's a bit of an anomaly with Poland. With the other AZ kits, they have you glue a backing on the inside of the fuselage behind where the exhausts will go. The Mk I kit doesn't have you do that and I failed to catch it. So you can see above that in essence there's a slot but no backing, so the exhausts would just fall right in. Ugh. So, I filled the hole with Tamiya basic putty.

y4mieSNubcd0pPcIq0h0G7mAZAA3_-RQlsis32XP

y4mYXFASR6dbglu41ioFQZu3sWwIz4jMFUOxjWm_

I'll clean that up, but also need to now adjust the exhausts; more sanding!

y4m5yAtPlNXvZ-jEjAY7PZ2PW2dVT6-nx4MSddYj

Once affixed, it'll need more filler to smooth it all out, but hopefully looks alright once smoothed out and paint touched up. I got sick of working on that though and moved on to another coat of the enamels on Argentina:

y4m1_Pwu37Ilp_URasNsXdEuX-IymUMtVxadPFSS

The flat green versus very glossy ocean grey is making it look silly, I feel, but I suppose some clear coats will even it out. The olive green in the back and ocean grey up front is also a bit funky but I'm committed to it! 

• Like 6

Nice progress! I'm liking the camouflage on Argentina, and once the final matt coat is on it'll tone down well, I should think. What a nuisance about those exhaust stacks, though you'll get them sorted out!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

On 5/6/2021 at 1:51 PM, Troy Smith said:

there is this

HTH

Hi @Troy Smith, et al, as I continue moving forward with Argentina (and also thinking about my future Yugoslav Mk IV, which I hope to model with rockets), trying to figure out the Mk IV wing. Did all Mk IVs have the same machine guns (i.e., one in each wing)? And what about landing lights--the one in Belgrade has them but I don't think all Mk IVs did (doesn't look like Argentina has landing lights as far as I can tell from the photo)? And while we're at, do you know anything about leading edge yellow on Hurricanes? When it was applied, which theatres, etc.? Agree Argentina is sporting yellow leading edges from photo? Thanks in advance for what will no doubt be brilliant observations 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

trying to figure out the Mk IV wing.

Me too, well that and how it compares to the IID wing.... 

Did all Mk IVs have the same machine guns (i.e., one in each wing)?

they should have.  They were supposed to be for sighting.

And what about landing lights--the one in Belgrade has them but I don't think all Mk IVs did (doesn't look like Argentina has landing lights as far as I can tell from the photo)?

they had cover plates, for protection against rocket blast.  Refer to photos, sometimes you just get one light exposed. Same things with Typhoons BTW.

And while we're at, do you know anything about leading edge yellow on Hurricanes? When it was applied, which theatres, etc.?

Yellow leading edge was a Day Fighter Scheme detail in NW Europe, though it wasn't always removed if planes were transferred. 

see here 

https://boxartden.com/reference/gallery/index.php/Camouflage-Markings/Hawker-Hurricane

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, all Mk.IVs had the same gun fit.  It is worth mentioning that on Typhoons the transparent covering over the landing lights was covered up because of the exhaust from the rockets, so presumably the same would have been true of the Hurricanes.  I've not seen any confirmation of that, although (working completely from memory!) the excellent clear views of a Mk.IV in Burma didn't show them - must try to find it again.

The Yellow leading edge was strictly a UK Fighter Command marking, although it was also carried by 2 TAF fighters on the continent.  They were not carried in the overseas theatres although I believe there are photos showing them in Italy, on some Spitfires(?).  There is also a single photo of a Hurricane in India, but this is in a training unit not at the front line.  As the Japanese also used yellow leading edges this would not have been a great idea.

Thank you Troy, I was about to hit Enter...  but it isn't a race.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Me too, well that and how it compares to the IID wing.... 

Thanks, Troy! The IId wing had the one MG on each side too, correct? Any compatibility issues with landing lights and 40mm cannons?

Great resource!

1 hour ago, Graham Boak said:

The Yellow leading edge was strictly a UK Fighter Command marking, although it was also carried by 2 TAF fighters on the continent.  They were not carried in the overseas theatres although I believe there are photos showing them in Italy, on some Spitfires(?).  There is also a single photo of a Hurricane in India, but this is in a training unit not at the front line.  As the Japanese also used yellow leading edges this would not have been a great idea.

Thanks, @Graham Boak! I'm thinking Argentina's Mk IV must have retained the yellow leading edge in the photo as it had been in service in Europe prior. Presumably then I'm good to exclude it on all of my others...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

The IId wing had the one MG on each side too, correct?

The IV wing evolved out of the IID wing from mentions in the manual.   They are very similar AFAIK,  the Hurricane manual in the appendix on the IID and IV talks about the IID and early IV wing.  The actual details are likely at Hendon air museum, and are one of the things I was going to search up, I was planning a trip up in late March 2020....  which obviously didn't occur! 

12 minutes ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

Any compatibility issues with landing lights and 40mm cannons?

Good question.   Made me look up this, which has film, with no lights visible.   

IID's are fairly rare, they only made 300, so photos are not common,  and without a serial, (apart from the very early ones, as in the film in link, with BN***/BP*** serials) They look like MK.IV's with 40 mm guns, by now having armoured radiators, windscreens and cockpit decking.  And then you need a photo you can see the leading edge... 

Again, we have the age old Hurricane problem, it's not a Spitfire, and as mostly the same between marks....   and some of these details are relatively small, and not noted in the books.   The manual, when I finally dug it out and read it, does mention some of this, but it's basically a paragraph and not illustrated.

the IV's here seems to have the landing lights covered

I'd suggest that damage to the lights was more likely than the need for landing lights was, given that their use was in daylight,   but that is a guess from what is visible.  

So, good question, as it made me look for another aspect I'd not been thinking about. 

cheers

T

• Like 2

On 5/3/2021 at 1:58 PM, 2996 Victor said:

The brush work looks pretty good, BUT if you're not entirely happy with it, try a light polish with the fine MicroMesh cloth - I'm using that technique for brushed camouflage on my Tomahawk IIB build.

@2996 Victor are the micro-mesh cloths graded? If so what grade do you use to smooth out your bush work? I'm trying to find these cloths locally... I see cloths going up to 2500 grade; do you think something like this is similar? https://www.scalemates.com/kits/tamiya-87059-finishing-abrasives-p1500--275320

22 minutes ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

@2996 Victor are the micro-mesh cloths graded? If so what grade do you use to smooth out your bush work? I'm trying to find these cloths locally... I see cloths going up to 2500 grade; do you think something like this is similar? https://www.scalemates.com/kits/tamiya-87059-finishing-abrasives-p1500--275320

Hi ME,

I've been using the same cloths as I used to polish the landing lights on my Arma Hurricanes, which are these. The grades are the same as square pads, I think I've been using the 6000 grade cloth.

I've not tried the Tamiya abrasive cloths, but I should think the effect would be similar, although 2500 might be a bit coarse.

The thing I've found is to use little pressure and take it slowly, otherwise I go through into the underlying colour! Not ideal..... :)

HTH!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Hi ME,

I've been using the same cloths as I used to polish the landing lights on my Arma Hurricanes, which are these. The grades are the same as square pads, I think I've been using the 6000 grade cloth.

I've not tried the Tamiya abrasive cloths, but I should think the effect would be similar, although 2500 might be a bit coarse.

The thing I've found is to use little pressure and take it slowly, otherwise I go through into the underlying colour! Not ideal..... :)

HTH!

Cheers,

Mark

Of course, I read another 0 on that 🤦 ok so 6000 or higher. Cheers

• Like 1

I'm going to assume that all the Hurricane experts will be descending on this thread. Here's a shot from my dad's archive, and I assume it was taken at an RAF airbase somewhere in Sudan between 1938 and 1941. 

I don't have any information beyond that, and as you can see it is a fairly damaged negative at some distance from the aircraft. I'm guessing it was just a chance snap.

49945322657_16f434237b_o.jpg
k016 by Sandeha Lynch, on Flickr

I'm going to assume it's a Mk1, and then go find one to build. Are there any suggestions as to what type it might be, or any knowledge of what squadrons were operating Hurricanes in Sudan in that period?

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Sandeha Lynch said:

I'm going to assume it's a Mk1, and then go find one to build. Are there any suggestions as to what type it might be, or any knowledge of what squadrons were operating Hurricanes in Sudan in that period?

Im going to stick a @Troy Smith & @Graham Boak in here, they might be the best to answer. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sandeha Lynch said:

I'm going to assume that all the Hurricane experts will be descending on this thread. Here's a shot from my dad's archive, and I assume it was taken at an RAF airbase somewhere in Sudan between 1938 and 1941. 

I don't have any information beyond that, and as you can see it is a fairly damaged negative at some distance from the aircraft. I'm guessing it was just a chance snap.

49945322657_16f434237b_o.jpg
k016 by Sandeha Lynch, on Flickr

My only comment is I can tell it has a three blame prop :) thanks for sharing, interesting photo! I'm sure others will have more valuable insights

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

My only comment is I can tell it has a three blame prop :) thanks for sharing, interesting photo! I'm sure others will have more valuable insights

Actually, on second thought I'm pretty sure the three blade prop makes 1938 impossible and 1939 unlikely. But, again, I'm not an expert!

• Like 1