I took RFI photos of India (Smer Mk IIc) yesterday; don't have an RFI up yet, but here she is all done:

y4mb44vDDtRWgK7bLA80OmPKODthPcrmLVze4T2a

I have pulled Portugal (Arma Mk IIc) back out--she hasn't seen any work since February. She has her green fuselage stripe on and her underside (Medium Sea Grey) is well under way, but that's where she is at. I'll photograph her once I have some work done. Meanwhile, some work is also continuing on Japan over in the GB thread.

• Like 10

With the underside camo complete on Portugal (Arma Mk IIc), I pulled the tape off the green stripe. Of course, it was a disaster. I am terrible at masking... I especially found it difficult to get the tape to conform to the fabric "ripples." 

y4mHF8ucMt8ZImZ7GKLBFScdjglTBJWgNGp1bF3Z

I am so frustrated with this that I sanded it as best I could and simply painted the whole underside MSG (Tamiya XF-19). I am considering using a decal for the stripe. I think something like this could work, and may pick up some white and yellow while I'm at it to assist with the Phase 3 axis versions (Romania and Finland will have yellow stripes and Italy a white one). 

y4mUJUtMTJQ66M7toWvk_5F-MQKS_5H7xn-Or_Lj

Otherwise fuselage stripe masking may kill my modelling joy 🥴

• Like 7

3 hours ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

pulled the tape off the green stripe. Of course, it was a disaster. I am terrible at masking... I especially found it difficult to get the tape to conform to the fabric "ripples

I use my scriber but a round toothpick will work. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

Of course, it was a disaster. I am terrible at masking... I especially found it difficult to get the tape to conform to the fabric "ripples." 

try sealing the tape with the base colours, or clear varnish, to stop the stripe colour bleeding under the tape.    Same for canopies, using Kleer to seal the tape edges.

Also try can rubbing the tape down using something like a wooden toothpick, though a wooden skewer is easier to hold as they are longer. 

Do both and this should stop paint bleed.     

7 hours ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

and may pick up some white and yellow while I'm at it to assist with the Phase 3 axis versions (Romania and Finland will have yellow stripes and Italy a white one). 

for thing like white and yellow, paint the stripes first and then  mask them off, as it they are hard to paint over base colors, yellow is particularly tricky. 

HTH

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Almost two months later, and nothing more has happened with Portugal, other than I did buy those green stripe decals to try...

y4mJD0V9CjIbwLvKcLaY_nDNael5yIIiiWMfK1dz

But even if Portugal hasn't progressed that doesn't mean Hawker Hurricanes around the World isn't progressing, because over in the Turning Japanese GB Japan (Arma Mk IIb) has moved along in her WIP:

... and is now complete in the Gallery!

Here are some pics:

y4mv3G5XTeg8pqiWANBy7sBhoAMtTU8VYBOTGNbP

y4mpjr9IZgdJMxRAVKLn4TLfWHbwLlU5_8DuSNBp

y4mpe0EOhwmEdR0ObHA8prM34P9rQ-O_UDy_UABO

y4m7Uf5sDFRgGcaZ3bK5SMQ0fvn1XuBFDkuYlCuz

y4md0WNZfpAd9zR3o9s-rLzWd5BpqIXywP6LwcKg

y4mhmuGVH8Q_hUSEQ4DMZk8gFMTWC3CQn4JTW5CX

And the original:

y4mYRISvI0bOITMeN0c-xvOnowTAIK6rKScahJgN

• Like 14

On 6/7/2022 at 4:50 PM, ModelingEdmontonian said:

I especially found it difficult to get the tape to conform to the fabric "ripples." 

I find bostik plumbers self adhesive  tape  much better for masking. It is malleable so can be burnished down onto a surface, plus it’s pretty cheap a 50mm x 10m roll can be had for about a tenner.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/174448612059?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=5282-175127-2357-0&ssspo=kFlxE4X_Q3K&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=VGICMH_DRRi&var=473649552657&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, opus999 said:

Oh, that turned out fabulous!  Even with the problems with the decals.

Thanks, @opus999, you're always so encouraging! BTW, perused your list of completed models... when are you going to add a Hawker Hurricane to the list!?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

Thanks, @opus999, you're always so encouraging! BTW, perused your list of completed models... when are you going to add a Hawker Hurricane to the list!?

Heh... well, it's on the list... not in the stash yet, but on the list.  :D @2996 Victor got me interested in the Arma Hobby Hurricane and I saw Eduard licensed it from Arma to make a 2 pack...

one of these days. :)

• Like 2

14 hours ago, opus999 said:

Heh... well, it's on the list... not in the stash yet, but on the list.  :D @2996 Victor got me interested in the Arma Hobby Hurricane and I saw Eduard licensed it from Arma to make a 2 pack...

one of these days. :)

.....and yet he has still to finish one..... ;) 

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Haven't been at the modeling table as much as I wish, but when I was through August, I was mostly focused on my Last Legs Ponies. But, I had actually put Ocean Grey (Tamiya XF82) on Portugal (Arma Mk IIc) back in June--I think I missed updating that...

y4mnK1YcRhZTzK9DLbJaBAmwEcV2XpmlvoBoPkgn

And last night I got to a first coat of Dark Green (Vallejo), which at the moment is my preferred Dark Green.

y4mgcK4i0dAb5FviSVQuAAbdzhpBEg9ThaLQhepX

• Like 4

Another Dark Green coat and some peripheral pieces worked on for Portugal (Arma Mk IIc):

y4mGd--0vlLA9ir0-FrccOpVw8b_T5KRxFj9NkKy

Arma includes a PE piece, a screen of sorts, for the air intake, but it just strikes me as much too large, so I'm going to skip it, along with the PE for the canopy--these pieces are too tiny for me to bother with. I'm also struggling to figure out how exactly the cannons are supposed to work. I built Egypt (Arma Mk IIc) without the cannons, just the stubs, so I actually haven't dealt with Arma's Mk IIc cannons before. All my other Mk IIcs (Turkey, Iran, India, Greece) are from other brands (Smer, Mistercraft [which are both Heller], Legato, and Revell).

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

15 months ago I had a "civilian interlude" in this project and built G-AFKX as a 24 hour weekend build:

Now, to coincide with the Prototypes, Racers, Research, Record breakers, Special schemes megaGB I will do another "civilian interlude" and build G-AMAU as the 1950 King's Cup Air Race edition using the Revell Mk IIc kit. WIP thread in the GB:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I definitely have a few other projects underway, including G-AMAU over in the GB, but I am also slowly moving Portugal (Arma Mk IIc) along. Yesterday she got some touch-ups on her Ocean Gray, Interior Green above the seat, and gunsight mounted and forward cockpit painted black.

y4mT5z3KjMuHPoTHiiBuuM4WvCBZ90mXYnhDLc73

I think she's ready for a Pledge coat up top next.

• Like 4

Was the forward cockpit painted black? I asked that question a few years ago and was told it was Interior Grey-green.

About in the middle of the first page: 

Finally got the link posting figured out!

Chris

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

Was the forward cockpit painted black? I asked that question a few years ago and was told it was Interior Grey-green.

Good call... I've seen photos of both but you may well be right this shouldn't be black. I've been doing black on all of them so far... I may have been particularly influenced by this lovely build: http://armahobbynews.pl/en/blog/2020/09/03/hurricane-iic-step-by-step-by-joel-izard/

Edited by ModelingEdmontonian

15 minutes ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

Good call... I've seen photos of both but you may well be right this shouldn't be black. I've been doing black on all of them so far... I may have been particularly influenced by this lovely build: http://armahobbynews.pl/en/blog/2020/09/03/hurricane-iic-step-by-step-by-joel-izard/

I got the link posting figured out at last. What a P.I.T.A.!

Chris

• Haha 1

I flipped Portugal over and started decaling up top. That's a green stripe from my "green strips" decal sheet that I purchased after my masking failed. It will need some work to get it to settle in, I think, but should work and more-or-less matches up with the green on the fin flash.

y4mkzArcP_X5tmpOQQQ0XEzS5YwQtkx8So5hE_KJ

Edited by ModelingEdmontonian
  • Like 8

On 9/27/2022 at 10:40 PM, ModelingEdmontonian said:

A layer of Pledge has made Portugal shine

Hi, I have heard others talking about using Pledge, but which one should i get and do you need to thin it and if so what with?

A photo of the correct stuff would be handy, if you don't mind.

Cheers, George

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Geo1966 said:

Hi, I have heard others talking about using Pledge, but which one should i get and do you need to thin it and if so what with?

A photo of the correct stuff would be handy, if you don't mind.

Cheers, George

Hi George, I was introduced to Pledge halfway through this project or so, and other members discuss it and provide advice around pages 7 & 8.

It's relatively cheap and very easy to use and really does a lovely job protecting paintwork and providing an ideal surface for decal application (and then I usually apply another layer over the decals before spraying a matt or satin coat to dull it down a little).

y4mCezW_moERJdu_B4rFoEvuBA8MsUJUOxQjIEOH

I don't thin it at all, just brush it on. I did once use it too liberally such that it pooled a little in a low spot or two and hardened like that. Since then I apply it a bit more conservatively. Otherwise I find it works beautifully. I believe others refer to it as Future and I think there might even be another name for it (presumably depends where you are), but I think they're all the same--floor polish that works great on models! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All of the decals are on now. Can't say enough about the Kitsworld decals--they settle in beautifully. Only decal that needs more work is (of course) the fuselage stripe.

y4mgQXWW9mJnFf2YW9xcsdzS5xnI5Kfs9z-rU0Nr

Many of the Portuguese 'canes wore ID badges underneath the exhaust stacks, and Kitsworld gives you two of them, one for reach side.

y4mgV_7eDlw5orOfVZWwA1TJn7sLlUDEoAhnZv0m

But, I'm pretty sure they seem to have only carried these on the port side, so I have a spare now. 

y4mvt0njPJtW-i4ij6CFj5cp8OPPd20DXgfwUQ1N

• Like 6