On 12/26/2021 at 9:38 AM, Troy Smith said:

Two suggestions,  I recall you got some Pledge/Kleer/Future type varnish,  you can use it to bed decals,   

I may well have posted this, I can't be faffed to go through 15 pages to check

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235038987-bedding-decals-in-klear-future-or-equivalent/

Thanks, Troy! Yes, I'm using Pledge and it has been amazing--I am so glad I took up the recommendation! In my experience, sometimes the application of Pledge over top eliminates the carrier film that's still visible, but on Belgium it didn't work 100%, and once the Pledge is over top what can you do? Funny, though, doesn't show up in this photograph, but to naked eye the 25's carrier film is still looking ugly...

y4m8DTcOkq_JXE_hxfhZpY4dsmGIQgF8oxLXuNIl

The other , in combination, especially for thicker decals is hot water,  i think I mentioned this, but combined it's very good for eliminating carrier film and getting them to conform.

Yes, I've started using near-boiling water per your suggestion, especially for the larger decals (I find this less important for the stencils).

Note, you can use a hot compress after application as well, and you can pierce a decal and carrier film with pin, and then add microsol to get it under the decal.

I've been using the pin technique, but not a hot compress, might still try that. But, I also ordered myself some of Tamiya's Mr Mark Super Strong to see if that will help on the big decals like the 105s.

HTH , apologies if repeating myself.

You did share much of this before, but please don't apologize, I have learned so much from you so appreciate all your insights and advice!

I have applied the rest of the decals to Ireland (Arma Mk I), and mostly we're in good shape here, although again some struggles with the 105s, this time on the fuselage

y4mniZnxDO76I4XYubroCkha-EX3zTttKz6TZtSk

Kingdom of Yugoslavia (Airfix Mk I) and Ireland (Arma Mk I) are now basically on hold for better weather (-33 C this morning!)/arrival of Mr Mark Super Strong.

y4mwoxrt5H_VYUel0b1W3ZhULF6R46jDrp6zvl0n

So, the remaining phase 2 six (in no particular order below: Turkey, India, Republic of Yugoslavia, Netherlands, Portugal, and South Africa) are getting attention.

y4mK4tFF88fQv88Z2duW-RPa2jf40v3TPyem36_a

Mostly this involves seam filling, sanding, etc., but I also decided to drill out an ID light hole for Republic of Yugoslavia (AZ Mk IV). I haven't bothered doing this on the other kits that don't include this (AZ, Fly, Airfix Mk XII, etc.), but I have been happy with how the Kristal Klear works for these lights, so gave it a go. You can also see here what is a consistent issue with the AZ Mk IIc/ds and Mk IVs: there is a major step where the fabric fuselage joins the metal wing. 

y4mtRbxK6ezn1wRPV9rHugvRM9GoiU1lIWKc8P_s

• Like 9

1 hour ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

there is a major step where the fabric fuselage joins the metal wing. 

Not sure if you do this already, if so my apologies. When I get the step like that I find sanding the mating surfaces a bit helps get things closer. It also saves on the surface detail. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Not sure if you do this already, if so my apologies. When I get the step like that I find sanding the mating surfaces a bit helps get things closer. It also saves on the surface detail. 

Please don't apologize! I welcome all constructive feedback and suggestions!

Yes, I assume by this you mean sand the parts prior to assembly so that I remove plastic on the interior instead of exterior? Probably more experienced modelers would be have accomplished this more successfully than I did, but that is what I attempted to do... I am not committed to the surface detail as other would be, so won't be re-scribing, but you can below where the "fix" is at. I've also attached the resin rocket rails. AZ includes resin rockets, but I think I will utilize some leftover styrene rockets from an Airfix Typhoon kit instead. Anyway, for now I need to get the rails to conform better to the wings... likely will involve some filler, but I may try cautiously heat these up and see if I can get them to reshape slightly... never done this before so we'll see.

y4m4gEgtxEolk21KeUatipo_qnkwGavbO4wFSG5h

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Some progress has been happening, albeit not much to photograph. The weather has been brutal so any spraying was put on hold (may actually get above freezing this week, which would be a huge change from the -30 Cs we've been having!). I did get Mark Fit Super Strong to see if that would help the transparent film on the 105 decals on Ireland (Arma Mk I) settle in better. I don't think it worked as well as I was hoping, but I've gone ahead and applied Pledge over top and I think after a matt coat (waiting for warmer weather) things will be alright.

y4mW2GzCBqj6aVk4d9Bf58jpXOrJL1eZtyWeHEeD

Kingdom of Yugoslavia (Airfix Mk I) is still waiting for her final matt coat as well.

In non-modeling news, I was down in Calgary this weekend and took my five year old to the Hawker Hurricane there. Actually, only found out it was there recently (and also recently found out there is another one even closer to where I live, so I'll need to make that drive soon too!). Five year old was more focused on the scavenger hunt they sent her on, and best beloved was waiting in the car, so things were rushed, but here are some quick snaps of pieces I found interesting.

First, navigation lights--believe this coloured "glass" (forget the name of the material) is a restoration change?

y4msFXcNEvD8E3EDQb1HSqgcIVGHcIHnZ2yz5rtX

y4m85MW5nzRkzDKZSedHtSWdIEbMKMpR1cojpMug

Pitot tube (above) was also interesting to me as I have done these as 100% underside colour, but also used bronze or aluminum on the tube itself.

Port landing light--

y4mMux3yCjQFoD3CsKELRzd3paqiIivOd7Wj5kr7

Fuel tank and stencils--

y4m9n9ecYVCj1J4Y0oO_RlkBWPFMKqd_Y265MqLk

I'm not even sure what this light is called on the rudder, but I found it interesting to see the black surrounding it as I've only ever dabbed some silver on this.

y4mCxF8Pj6yjg-lR7ZI63RJI9TR7LNBYdk5VxHip

Wheel well and UC:

y4mp9SMxucx32cuSR672FppQbIHrfQdGBcnJBiui

y4mEB34Y7jkxICQzaQt4Z4NNBRzGmm8ArHp46gk1

I noted the treaded tires, which I understand are not authentic either.

Here is the rear wheel:

y4mqfuLNI7rlfWAAy_ftRhTmB-NrpcsNL4GMgheN

Prop is off, and I don't believe there's a spinner.

y4mZnroA9kwhGdbfH3Ze1EYqCL5SyOZFsNKenbo_

This is an Mk XII, btw... seems pretty much same as an Mk IIb although I'm sure some of you can tell me how I am wrong :)

y4m9APRS4hjmEyxJRe9w1OeWi8wmuJMmosk2elOL

Because the engine is out you can see the housing nicely:

y4mtqBLt96lvLv9kz7Ap4Jq2tHLTNWIZz0Z10weV

Finally, I liked this shot for a few reasons, including the perspective on the spine.

y4mNShdvdgur3hMp9m3W4wfPs1KzChGiiljW5tGk

• Like 6

45 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

This one is at the Reynolds Museum, in Wetaskiwin.

50841464593_ed584b1cfc_b.jpg

Cool! This is the one I need to go see next, really not much more than an hour drive away. What scheme is that supposed to be? DG/OG up top and azure blue underside? I was at that museum years ago but don't remember the Hurricane. Any idea why this one and Calgary's lack spinners? 

17 minutes ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

Cool! This is the one I need to go see next, really not much more than an hour drive away. What scheme is that supposed to be? DG/OG up top and azure blue underside? I was at that museum years ago but don't remember the Hurricane. Any idea why this one and Calgary's lack spinners? 

Im not 100% sure but I believe that most original spinners didn't survive. Many warbird and museum planes for years used modified DC-6 or DC-7 spinners ? But they're not that accurate. In fact Hasegawa replicated them in their kits and there are replacement resin pieces with the correct shape. My guess is the two planes in question had the bad spinners and they're off because someone may be replicating new ones ? However @Troy Smith or @Graham Boak may be able to verify. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

What scheme is that supposed to be? DG/OG up top and azure blue underside?

some kind of weird fantasy.  It's a mish mash of poor research.

19 minutes ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

Any idea why this one and Calgary's lack spinners? 

Was standard for Canadian Hurricanes,   I just did an  edit/revamp of this, which has information on Canadian Hurricanes, and props, 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234980181-hawker-hurricane-propellers-and-spinners-a-modellers-guide/

There is more on this, and I may do another thread for clarity later.

6 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Many warbird and museum planes for years used modified DC-6 or DC-7 spinners ?

Lockheed Constellation. Again, see link above.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Balmy week by Edmonton January standards so I got some primer onto, from top left, left to right: Republic of Yugoslavia (AZ Mk IV); Netherlands (Arma Mk IIb); Portugal (Arma Mk IIc); India (Smer Mk IIc); Turkey (Mistercraft Mk IIc); South Africa (Arma Mk I). I think some super glue will be utilized on a couple of seams and other spots where the primer has showed up gaps and steps.

y4mmHtZe__xG3DB7pd5GORujlouj1-bayiAYDVty

You will note rocket rails on Yugoslavia, drop tanks on Portugal, and bomb carriers on India. With these three so fitted, plus Soviet Union as a Mk IId, I am pretty happy with how well rounded the collection will be in terms of options under the wing. The other three in this batch will simply be armed with their machine guns.

Edited by ModelingEdmontonian
  • Like 9

The pile of propellers have been painted and Pledged, awaiting installation. I junked the prop for Ireland (Arma Mk I) and started over (its the one with the Sky spinner below)--still struggling to get these Arma Mk I props and spinners to go together properly. Arma really improved the design with the Mk IIs--that gorgeous green one is Portugal (Arma Mk IIc) and I am particularly excited by that spinner colour. Portugal will also get a fuselage stripe of the same colour which is supposed to be something like the green in the Portuguese flag. Besides Arma Mk I props and spinners, I somehow also struggle with yellow tips. Arma includes decals occasionally, but those proved more frustrating than painting, but I've never had yellow tips I was especially happy with. I have tried a few techniques, but now am just free-handing and content with "good enough." Besides Ireland and Portugal, we have Turkey, India, South Africa, Netherlands, and Republic of Yugoslavia here, all with black spinners.

y4mhcumLCM_3nMnV75IDWyj6qKaZlj224stBkM8x

• Like 8

Ireland (Arma Mk I) had landing gear installed (somehow I find putting the wheels on the Arma kits tough because the tires are flattened off, but lining them up perfectly is tough). Then, during the balmy, above zero temperature last week I prepped Ireland and Kingdom of Yugoslavia (Airfix Mk I) for a matt coat. You can see that in the end the transparent film around the 105s has "disappeared" nicely. 

y4mNjJEzlK1igmy35fMutAd1wpSWnNLZj1IlYaBn

So, matt coat went on the bottoms . . .

y4mnwRoJRWj3p4EA56B8h8CdOcQTpBVqjY8-JeqC

. . . then began working on the ID lights.

y4mLSz2nAuU28q7SbuVK7It-h9CJohnq8Snmwls9

I flipped Ireland over and attached the prop and antenna mast, but did not get a matt coat on top before the cold came again (-22 C right now, with -30 C wind chill).

y4mo3h1UkGspEnnEPpCnOH3iJQeQlqPNn-qXH5J6

y4m-l3jafE-zkd8gdSajq9gmXvrQHTkZuPJf9Asu

• Like 8

Although Ireland is again waiting for warmer weather, Kingdom of Yugoslavia (Airfix Mk I) managed to get her matt coat up top on Saturday, and I was able to pop her canopy on, do a couple of touch-ups, and she is done! I photographed the underside before I mounted her.

y4mldpGUS5X0qamQnx8iyFbnN4IT_dgelC79tegm

Then set her on a 1/48 stand I had available.

y4m0nuybKSuDxC2Fidz7KF6K1n41cV8D4RWrha8o

y4mztdUCKdfvB-KvGr4HAL4qsG5nEaumKD0gXE-s

Someday I will attempt better photos, but this will do for now. 

• Like 8

On 12/29/2021 at 6:51 AM, ModelingEdmontonian said:

…and once the Pledge is over top what can you do? Funny, though, doesn't show up in this photograph, but to naked eye the 25's carrier film is still looking ugly...

Late to this one but thought it might be useful to chip in that the piercing with a pin technique with more Microsol still works after, even after the Pledge is on.  You’ll probably need a light Pledge misting afterwards but that’s usually no big deal.  I’ve also successfully fixed silvering with 50% diluted Pledge and the pin technique if microsol doesn’t solve it (microsol won’t always work because the decal might just not be flexible enough) which works simply by filling the voids with Pledge.

Otherwise, what a great project you’re working through here!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mark.au said:

Late to this one but thought it might be useful to chip in that the piercing with a pin technique with more Microsol still works after, even after the Pledge is on.  You’ll probably need a light Pledge misting afterwards but that’s usually no big deal.  I’ve also successfully fixed silvering with 50% diluted Pledge and the pin technique if microsol doesn’t solve it (microsol won’t always work because the decal might just not be flexible enough) which works simply by filling the voids with Pledge.

Very interesting, thanks for sharing @mark.au! At this point Belgium has both a Pledge coat and matt coat over top of the 25, but I assume you would suggest I could still give it a go again? 

21 hours ago, mark.au said:

Otherwise, what a great project you’re working through here!

Cheers!

21 minutes ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

At this point Belgium has both a Pledge coat and matt coat over top of the 25, but I assume you would suggest I could still give it a go again? 

Definitely!  You’ll probably need to repair/blend in the finish coat once done but you can definitely still get rid of the silvering.

• Like 1

I finished dealing with all I wanted to in terms of gaps and seams on Republic of Yugoslavia (AZ Mk IV). I used heat on the rocket rails to get them to conform to the wing, and that worked fairly well. But, some of the resin reacted to the heat in such a way that is a little bumpy in spots I can't reach with sand paper. In other words, I have left it as "good enough" and proceeded with the underside camo.

y4mJdMZfBjCt1BxsW01EigOVf5GIHwVC_sxTByb4

This is Tamiya XF-23 I am using; might be a bit on the light side based on the description provided by @Supercuber who identified the underside camo as FS35450, but I think it will do.

Edited by ModelingEdmontonian
  • Like 5

Things are moving fairly quickly with Republic of Yugoslavia (AZ Mk IV). I put a thin layer of Pledge down underneath and popped the roundels and then the pitot tube. Most of the other bits are painted or well on their way, but you can see the rockets sitting here as well waiting for some sort of green paint.

y4mlf3YGpLZIVAAlqvJjeqVB9JqF6y_e6kgLyVJ2

She wears a single upper colour, in this case I'm using XF-77 (something like FS 35237--thanks again, @Supercuber), and this is her after two thin coats.

y4mie3cO3Bb6_bULdNl6CLqaDYux-9StosvT16sd

• Like 8

I did manage to prime the remainder of what I needed to on Turkey, India, South Africa, Portugal, and Netherlands, but mostly I've been keeping up the Republic of Yugoslavia momentum today. Top coat is nearly done except for some minor touch-ups as well as the cockpit green "headrest" and black upper "dashboard."

y4mBmb4rCXa4T9aNShJsdbkvuuhhOgjmCskTznUc.

And I started painting the rockets as well as India's bombs. I'm using XF-73 for these.

y4mR5vTsoMTRTWl7UkExCuOCv_LCQ4BYstQRms-R

• Like 5

After the rear wheel and exhaust stacks were attached, I put the roundels and fin decals on Republic of Yugoslavia (AZ Mk IV).

y4mQSsyOWqSjgJDZeSz60_Z5UW88qp4dRpo_MbdN

The fin flash is too large versus the photo, and the roundels seem to be missing some yellow if you look at the photo of the BF109 in the Belgrade museum, but I think they look pretty nice, and they are settling in well.

y4mVDbWoMDCrXt3GPohJ46yYH_iGyzMWiaOWvaF0

@Supercuber says there were no upper wing decals, and I can't find any photographic evidence that would suggest otherwise, but AZ does provide them.

I have been painting the rockets as well and was going to go with a single colour . . .

y4mgozk2-1Pws2L53_Dqh9PwvEcwUPu5RReWLYO3

. . . but I've decided the RAF museum's Typhoon's rockets make a good template for rockets in 1/72:

y4mOqfV9OZAp04hvk_R7jRSefOogediQUeIz3khA

So, I will leave the rocket heads with the XF-73 and use a darker, richer green (maybe XF-13) for the bodies.

• Like 8