On 7/17/2021 at 7:24 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Ok you asked for it. This is just my RAF, R.N., and commonwealth collection binder. QSaDWBs.jpg

gYU7e85.jpg

These are just the hurricane items. 
4SfYePg.jpg

x06qvbi.jpg

O5cd5ah.jpg

RIb1CCH.jpg

oI3yDQO.jpg

Airfix spares. 6Dsy6oD.jpg

And 1/48th 

K8knQdT.jpg

Hopefully these are all good. 

Dennis

Gorgeous, thanks @Corsairfoxfouruncle! So many Hurricane options! For my South Africa Mk I I'm planning to do the 284 "J" from that Arma decal set you have. I love the "lots of orange" fin markings.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

We have Arma Mk IIc/b on the left, and the Fly spinners in the middle.

The Arma, if it has a panel line(looks too) is meant to be a CM/1 type, and look decent.  The centre one is hideous  for a wartime Hurricane spinner,  and the resin one, as I pointed out before, as the prop blade slots too high up, and is also loner than the Arma, maybe if it was sanded on the base until  the blade slots were reached it could be useable. 

the centre one looks like Hasegawa used a warbird with one if these fitted

14927172911_d2dccdbd34_z.jpg

eg

Hawker_Hurricane_XII_Private_G-HURR,_QFO

Are the other set of wheels , partly out of shot, smooth?   The treaded ones are warbird only AFAIK.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

The Arma, if it has a panel line(looks too) is meant to be a CM/1 type, and look decent.  The centre one is hideous  for a wartime Hurricane spinner,  and the resin one, as I pointed out before, as the prop blade slots too high up, and is also loner than the Arma, maybe if it was sanded on the base until  the blade slots were reached it could be useable. 

the centre one looks like Hasegawa used a warbird with one if these fitted

Great info, Troy! I'll have to figure out what I end up using. I think the Arma Mk I kits might have a different spinner as well (without the panel line, as I recall)? I might need to check.

21 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Are the other set of wheels , partly out of shot, smooth?   The treaded ones are warbird only AFAIK.

Yes, here are the resin wheels:

y4mhCyEGlml2eJhRYI5QAIYLqZT1gYoT9twNjKJb

But, I likely will use the plastic ones and avoid the resin altogether:

y4m7P321WGJGEmPsSeHr5psUrcf0dp7CYvpulqrW

• Like 2

The Arma Mk.I kits certainly should have a different spinner, as the Rotol "bullet" type (or rather types) was only seen on very late Mk.Is.  They have, I'm pretty sure, the shorter conical DH spinner and/or the almost hemispherical larger Rotol.   Likely both.  Can check later today.

• Like 2

By the way, progress is occurring on the France Mk IIb, but updated on the GB WIP:

It is close to catching up to its fellows (Soviet Union, Belgium, Kingdom of Yugoslavia, and Ireland), so all five may soon make a group appearance here as I focus on seams and gaps, etc.

y4mg8THNy0skI-wGBfoo3fKHKmqx4SG_DL5JDdJR=

Edited by ModelingEdmontonian
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

The Arma Mk.I kits certainly should have a different spinner, as the Rotol "bullet" type (or rather types) was only seen on very late Mk.Is.  They have, I'm pretty sure, the shorter conical DH spinner and/or the almost hemispherical larger Rotol.   Likely both.  Can check later today.

I seem to recall three spinners on the Mk. I sprue, including maybe a "bullet" version. I'll need to open a box to check as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

I seem to recall three spinners on the Mk. I sprue, including maybe a "bullet" version. I'll need to open a box to check as well.

1 hour ago, Graham Boak said:

The Arma Mk.I kits certainly should have a different spinner, as the Rotol "bullet" type (or rather types) was only seen on very late Mk.Is.  They have, I'm pretty sure, the shorter conical DH spinner and/or the almost hemispherical larger Rotol.   Likely both. 

Arma Mk/.I kits have the DH Hurricane type, the blunt Rotol ''spitfire' ES/6 type, and a a 'bullet' Rotol type.   From photos, the type of 'bullet' Rotol initially fitted to the late Mk.I and early Mk.II's was the CM/1 type,  with the panel line and single slot for attachment. 

In 72nd the difference between the two 'bullet' Rotol units is minimal,  

see here https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235078582-hurricane-rotol-spinners-the-cm1-vs-es9-quest/

the photo showing the two types are visible if you click the links, they no longer show up directly in my browser.  The earliest 'bullet' Rotol photographed with a serial is V6825, TM-F of 504 Sq Third Gloster Produced Block

(photo in SAM Camo and Marking No.2, BoB page 28)

which is listed in production records as being completed or delivered  on 29 Sep 1940. 

the earliest Hawker built with a 'bullet' Rotol identified in V7598, Langley built,   13 Oct 1940, as KW-S of 615 Sq, see Wingleader photo archive,  Page 86.

Again, lack of photos from this means that the records is patchy,  and one thing that is notable from seeing a list if Hurricane production is the delivery/taken on charge date is not in serial list order, but can vary by 2 weeks. 

This is a work in progress,  possibly there are factory records of when the new spinners started being used, but the requires access to archives that at present I do not have. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Well, it's been awhile since I updated this thread, but I have been chipping away over in this WIP thread as part of the Fancy French GB:

And finally have this Mk IIb done .. 

y4miloTv7gaCgbagNf02_LJ74AzJMHJYlBvPNO6X

This was the Fly kit, and honestly in the end was quite happy with it and pleased with how it turned out, with a few exceptions. More photos in the GB gallery, and I may do a more fulsome RFI soon.

I haven't had a chance to take a group photo yet, but now I have eight Hurricanes on the shelf! Progress is definitely slower now that we're getting out of COVID and social life is returning (fingers crossed), but not for lack of enthusiasm! Soviet Union, Ireland, Belgium, and Kingdom of Yugoslavia have had some progress, but nothing worth photographing. They are nearly ready for some primer, but may be several weeks until that happens still, because I expect to be away for awhile.

• Like 12

On 8/29/2021 at 8:35 PM, opus999 said:

I've been away from the forum for a while, but it was fun catching up on this project of yours.  These Hurricanes look terrific so far!

Thanks, @opus999! Glad you caught up, nice to have you 🙂

Well, not an especially exciting photo, but we have some primer on the undersides! Clockwise from top left: Soviet Union (AZ Mk IId); Kingdom of Yugoslavia (Airfix Mk I); Belgium (Airfix Mk I); and Ireland (Arma Mk I).

y4miR6dPsPaxkvNe7QsK8QHebcvoh9ZqnT--euZG

• Like 9

Primer on top, of course . . .

y4mUSafBiVtlEIAsbf4m7nzvciYcy-vkpH_4mnTb

And camo application has begun... This is Ireland (Arma Mk I) with a couple of coats of MSG (Tamiya XF19 sky grey).

y4mDHmq2nC3g0uLmaY8mgJMXoFgV5L-LTgP_5kE4

• Like 9

• 1 month later...

I have been away traveling for several weeks (for the first time since COVID!). Really this whole "Hawker Hurricanes around the world" project was a way of "traveling" around the world while stuck in my basement, so it was nice to actually be away and doing the real thing again. I even happened to visit some "Phase 2" countries--Portugal, Belgium, and Slovenia and Croatia (both of which, of course, are formerly part of Yugoslavia, which is really having two phase 2 entries [pre-WW2 Kingdom and post-WW2 Republic]!),

Still, I missed modeling, so it is also nice to be back home and finally get back to some Hurricanes this weekend! First up was Soviet Union (AZ Mk IId), which needed its cannons attached. These parts have zero in the way of locator guides, so I did my best freehand.

y4mUOsXNv3zfZngcSdPu6wD7yujwA_a5Q-LMmdLa

I also wanted to drill out the barrels--this is a skill that is very much still a learning opportunity for me! I've had success on some other models (e.g., the Bristol Blenheim's Mercury "trumpet" air intakes), but so far with the Hurricanes every attempt at drilling out the exhausts has ended in frustailure (i.e., both frustration and failure). The 40 mm barrels certainly give you more to work with than the exhausts do, so we'll see if I managed an effect worth the effort once it's all painted (at this point a photograph isn't picking it up!).

With cannons affixed, I continued on with underside camo (medium sea grey/Tamiya XF19) on Soviet Union and Ireland (Arma Mk I).

y4mBirt8SwS8N2aMbXP1-AInyTJIcLDh1mY2l4YI

Then it was on to the underside of Kingdom of Yugoslavia (Airfix Mk I) with a coat or two of light blue (Tamiya XF23).

y4m-LzGSCG0Q-VqlzvGmA2MN30s924409f9zaVOD

It's nice to be back at it!

Oh, also I added two beautiful new Arma kits to my collection. These will make appearances in phase three (Axis versions) as Germany (Mk I) and Japan (Mk IIb).

y4mM2NG2aFiVL3JKaTEiXQMrkIzj48jmFNzegNHo

As this will (should) be the last of the kits I buy, I will take and post an updated group photo of all my boxes soon; perhaps I am the only one who enjoys seeing 20+ unique 1/72 Hawker Hurricane kit boxes in one photo, but I feel it is important to document for posterity!

• Like 12

4 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

The Arma kits are lovely.

Chris

They sure are... I believe I now have 9 of them (but I counted recently and I think they have done something like 14 different boxings, so by no means do I have all of them!) AZ and Airfix are well-represented too, although with Airfix I did end up with three of the same boxing of their Mk I.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

They sure are... I believe I now have 9 of them (but I counted recently and I think they have done something like 14 different boxings, so by no means do I have all of them!) AZ and Airfix are well-represented too, although with Airfix I did end up with three of the same boxing of their Mk I.

I have only built the one Arma kit which was your last one pictured, the Royal Navy one which was a gorgeous kit and I did the box art scheme with the replacement DE/DG cowling.

The remaining Hurricanes I have are all the Airfix kits, their 48th scale kits are absolutely fantastic. 

Chris

• Like 2

On 10/24/2021 at 10:01 AM, bigbadbadge said:

I have only built the one Arma kit which was your last one pictured, the Royal Navy one which was a gorgeous kit and I did the box art scheme with the replacement DE/DG cowling.

Great choice, it's a cool scheme!

On 10/24/2021 at 10:01 AM, bigbadbadge said:

The remaining Hurricanes I have are all the Airfix kits, their 48th scale kits are absolutely fantastic. 

I don't think I've ever built a 1/48 of any kit, but if I ever do I will want it to be a Hurricane!

• Like 3

15 hours ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

Great choice, it's a cool scheme!

I don't think I've ever built a 1/48 of any kit, but if I ever do I will want it to be a Hurricane!

So, the Arma 1/48 when it comes out will be on your shopping list as well. ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi ModelingEdmontonian. Wow. I'm guessing someone here is keen on Hurricanes! And I completely understand why! Great idea for a set of projects.

Very interesting stuff and great to you've got Graham and Troy involved. I will try and keep up from now on.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

On 10/26/2021 at 6:44 AM, AliGauld said:

So, the Arma 1/48 when it comes out will be on your shopping list as well. ;)

We'll see; to be honest 1/48 does not appeal to me, but I would be curious to see what it's like to build a larger scale Hurricane after all these 1/72s!

On 10/26/2021 at 7:42 AM, PlaStix said:

Hi ModelingEdmontonian. Wow. I'm guessing someone here is keen on Hurricanes! And I completely understand why! Great idea for a set of projects.

Very interesting stuff and great to you've got Graham and Troy involved. I will try and keep up from now on.

Welcome! I certainly have learned a lot from @Graham Boak and @Troy Smith and many other generous BMers and I am definitely developing a love of Hurricanes! I don't quite have the modeling skills or commitment to accuracy (or the patience!) you seem to, but I enjoy watching what you've been able to do with these Airfix kits.

Not much in terms of exciting updates, but I am having fun (all that matters?) and we're getting close to having underside camo (I suppose Belgium's underside cannot be described as camo, but you know what I mean) done and some UC parts painted. From upper left clockwise, these are Soviet Union (AZ Mk IId)--I'm fairly happy with how the cannon gondolas are blending in; Kingdom of Yugoslavia (Airfix Mk I), which will be "wheels up"; Belgium (Airfix Mk I), also "wheels up"; and Ireland (Arma Mk I).

y4miXfvcHNDxBQEQSaGPiTkf3d2CBa5UpfPTUFtk

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Well, the sausage making continues; top camo begun on all four; clockwise from top we have: Soviet Union (AZ Mk IId) with ocean grey (Tamiya XF82); Ireland (Arma Mk I) with same; Kingdom of Yugoslavia (Airfix Mk I) with ochre (Tamiya XF59) (KoY is the only ally Hurricane whose underside camo comes up high, which is making it interesting; it is also the only tri-coloured top scheme); and Belgium (Airfix Mk I) with dark earth (Tamiya XF52). Once these colours are done, the next stage on all three is dark green, and KoY gets a dark brown as its final colour.

y4mD3Vx3xdgig6i1BwWK-TS4cbt148HlCZQ7pUbQ

As ugly as these are looking at the moment, I feel my brush painting skills are improving from my first few 'canes in this project. This was not a conscious decision, but I've found I've completely ditched any attempt at masking as it was more trouble than it was worth. Anyway, it's still all a learning experience!

A variety of other pieces (UC, aerial masts, pitot tubes, rudders) are at various stages of painting, glossing, and weathering. 

y4mdm8iNdT6sdmQCNykZLdQcmgifbZIv6yL7yBR8

• Like 7