22 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

They maybe in the Romanian Fighter Colours book,  mine is a bit inaccessible right now.   There maybe something in the Hurricane in Romanian service book as well, and possibly, Hawker - the Yugoslav Story,  but those are elsewhere.    

the Radub decals have 15 on them

https://www.fantasyprintshop.co.uk/shop/rb-d-72-022-romanian-hurricane-mk-1-decals/

IIRC 13 and 14 are the same or very similar,  you found the page on Yugoslav Hurricane, which has details of the camo pattern and colours I think (I got a notification about it) 

Give me a few days and i can dig out the books and give a better answer.

PS looking more closely at the sheet,  it has 14 but in a very different scheme.   I can't remember the details,  but these are well researched AFAIK.  

Great find! Can't see 14's upper and lower, but the side view makes it look interesting!  But if that is ex-Yugoslav it's an odd scheme eh?

I'm still aways away from starting Romania anyway, just trying to sort through my kits and figure out what will be what. Thanks as always!

The Romanian schemes are starting to give me thoughts for another build subject as well! Hurricanes are certainly addictive! Just as well I ordered a couple more each of Airfix's and Arma's Mk.Is :) Shhhhh! Just don't tell my better half!

Cheers

Mark

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

Great find! Can't see 14's upper and lower, but the side view makes it look interesting!  But if that is ex-Yugoslav it's an odd scheme eh?

Yes, it's not the Yugoslav factory scheme. 

which is this

OvaF9yJ.jpg

From this is the thread on the Yugoslav Hurricanes, which is very good, and well worth a careful read.

A look at Romanian Fighter Colours only has a photo of 15.   I would suggest that when taken into service they all looked like 15. 

I have seen a photo of one of the ex-Yugoslav Hurricanes burnt out. (so the fabric wing is obvious)

IIRC they later ended up as trainers, due lack of spares and also the Soviet use of Hurricanes, but I'd need to go reference hunting.

there is a long thread here

https://www.worldwar2.ro/forum/index.php?showtopic=1857

But from 2005, and some of what is stated is wrong on the Hurricane details.    

It does note that Hurricanes 13-15 were camera shy.    While 14 may have got a repaint later, I think when first used it would have looked like 15.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Troy Smith said:

Yes, it's not the Yugoslav factory scheme. 

which is this

OvaF9yJ.jpg

From this is the thread on the Yugoslav Hurricanes, which is very good, and well worth a careful read.

A look at Romanian Fighter Colours only has a photo of 15.   I would suggest that when taken into service they all looked like 15. 

I have seen a photo of one of the ex-Yugoslav Hurricanes burnt out. (so the fabric wing is obvious)

IIRC they later ended up as trainers, due lack of spares and also the Soviet use of Hurricanes, but I'd need to go reference hunting.

there is a long thread here

https://www.worldwar2.ro/forum/index.php?showtopic=1857

But from 2005, and some of what is stated is wrong on the Hurricane details.    

It does note that Hurricanes 13-15 were camera shy.    While 14 may have got a repaint later, I think when first used it would have looked like 15.

What do you make of the large green "blob" on the side of 15--looks like overpainted roundel, but I don't think those Yugoslav planes had a roundel there. Or am I insufficiently researched?

So, in theory if I take the "1" from Printscale and the "3" or "4" from Arma, I think I can make this work. Thanks, Troy!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

What do you make of the large green "blob" on the side of 15--looks like overpainted roundel, but I don't think those Yugoslav planes had a roundel there. Or am I insufficiently researched?

your in luck. this is from the Romanian Fighter Colours book (it is up on pinterest)

79aa76470a0ca8495a9bf2c3767e4594.jpg

the photo is before delivery, and I think the 'green blob' is just a misinterpretation (or it could be from another photo) or if you want to do one from a photo, it's above. Note no number.  

Ah, yes, green blob,  I presume as they Ex-Yugo planes were BEFORE Barbarossa, they got the pre-war roundels, replaced by the Michael Cross post June 41.   This image, of 5, also on the Hurricane in Romanian service book, has the cross on the fuselage, and roundel still under the wing. Note also the tri band stripes on the prop blade, 6 guns fitted(no, don't know why) , 5 spoke wheels, DH Spitfire prop, and the sheep... 

lhmlpcag86x41.jpg

It should alo be noted, that the Romanian copied the RAF colours initially, (THE IAR 80 first scheme uses colours very similar to Dark Green/Dark Earth)  and may well have had RAF paint supplied, which is why paint out of roundels to crosses blend in, unless on a ex-Yugo plane...  of which there are very few photos of.

It's a complex subject, and eventually you just run out of information.... 

I'll see if there is anything in the other book when I get chance.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Troy Smith said:

your in luck. this is from the Romanian Fighter Colours book (it is up on pinterest)

79aa76470a0ca8495a9bf2c3767e4594.jpg

the photo is before delivery, and I think the 'green blob' is just a misinterpretation (or it could be from another photo) or if you want to do one from a photo, it's above. Note no number.  

Ah, yes, green blob,  I presume as they Ex-Yugo planes were BEFORE Barbarossa, they got the pre-war roundels, replaced by the Michael Cross post June 41.   This image, of 5, also on the Hurricane in Romanian service book, has the cross on the fuselage, and roundel still under the wing. Note also the tri band stripes on the prop blade, 6 guns fitted(no, don't know why) , 5 spoke wheels, DH Spitfire prop, and the sheep... 

lhmlpcag86x41.jpg

It should alo be noted, that the Romanian copied the RAF colours initially, (THE IAR 80 first scheme uses colours very similar to Dark Green/Dark Earth)  and may well have had RAF paint supplied, which is why paint out of roundels to crosses blend in, unless on a ex-Yugo plane...  of which there are very few photos of.

It's a complex subject, and eventually you just run out of information.... 

I'll see if there is anything in the other book when I get chance.   

Amazing as always, thanks, Troy! I'll probably opt to omit the green blob and go Yugoslav scheme + yellow with Romanian markings as yellow 13 or 14 as in the profile you found of 15.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/1/2021 at 9:36 AM, ModelingEdmontonian said:

y4mCioG1zrsiVZi3nfRCfqtMwPIJGulrdd3rP2Ph

You can see above how the ID light is showing white below the fuselage--the Micro Kristal Klear wasn't drying and took days. Finally dried and looks amber enough for me, so I guess it all worked out, but strange that it took days to dry.

y4mixktS_vyNxD5liNa-XzkmNU3lyfI0Abd0iicj

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

lhmlpcag86x41.jpg

By the way, how wonderful is this photo (for so many reasons)--who thinks to photograph a Hakwer Hurricane with sheep grazing happily? Amazing. I wonder if my 5 year old's little animals are 1/72 scale and can complement my completed model...

• Like 1

On 01/05/2021 at 19:44, ModelingEdmontonian said:

Can't see 14's upper and lower, but the side view makes it look interesting!  But if that is ex-Yugoslav it's an odd scheme eh?

There is a photo of 14 in this scheme in the Romanian Hurricane book,   It's not very big, but you can see the upper of the port wing.   I'll stick it up later,  does look like a repaint.  Most intriguimg.

13 minutes ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

I wonder if my 5 year old's little animals are 1/72 scale and can complement my completed model...

They are going to be very small, you might want too look for some railway accessories for those.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

Amazing. I wonder if my 5 year old's little animals are 1/72 scale and can complement my completed model...

3 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

They are going to be very small, you might want too look for some railway accessories for those.

Absolutely! Troy is quite right - you need OO/HO "scale" (which is a complete mish-mash of scales of scales and gauges) but which approximates to 1:76.

Check out PECO, Langley Miniature Models, Merit (if they're still around!), Faller. There are quite a few others as well, and the quality varies from nicely-sculpted to hideous monstrosities :D

Cheers,

Mark

12 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

4 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Absolutely! Troy is quite right - you need OO/HO "scale" (which is a complete mish-mash of scales of scales and gauges) but which approximates to 1:76.

Check out PECO, Langley Miniature Models, Merit (if they're still around!), Faller. There are quite a few others as well, and the quality varies from nicely-sculpted to hideous monstrosities :D

Cheers,

Mark

Oh, just joking about the sheep! I don't have anywhere to display my models properly anyway 🙄 

13 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

There is a photo of 14 in this scheme in the Romanian Hurricane book,   It's not very big, but you can see the upper of the port wing.   I'll stick it up later,  does look like a repaint.  Most intriguimg.

Probably going to stick with my plan because I'm happy with how it looks, but would love to see the photo! Any guesses as to why it got the repaint? 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

Oh, just joking about the sheep! I don't have anywhere to display my models properly anyway 🙄 

Awww, shame! :) in that case I think I might do a little vignette of my own, if you don't mind, ME?

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

@2996 Victor provided some tips on clean up for nav/landing lights --you can see how cloudy mine are on Australia here--sanded such that they fit nicely enough, but then lost all the beautiful clarity they had originally.

y4m7grluxYSj_A7xB_5syPAI112OJKNLuD2BRm_q

Moved on and left as is on Australia, but it's something I would like to improve on. Only the Arma kits have nav lights (and I won't be adding them where they don't come with the kit), but most of the others have landing lights. The AZ Poland Mk I kit did not have landing lights included, but my AZ Mk IID (Soviet) kit does. In both cases the wings don't have the cut outs, and I've decided I would rather have the landing lights on Poland than the Mk IId (because I will likely paint the "lights" silver where they don't exist, and the Poland underside is already silver so won't stand out at all, whereas the Soviet Mk IId has camo on the underside).

So, I "stole" from the Mk IId, cut out the wings on Poland, and here is state of play now:

y4mEhe1kOQJYKD3_ONXxkHnjQvSbiXYJlFk48qWG

The cutting out after the wings were already assembled was more challenging than I expected (you can see some damage on the starboard wing where I cracked the plastic further back of the light), but after something like an hour I have the lights in place and sanded back.

y4mnhnaJkp5oqTrOcpi11kLxXe4tDHt-YRfX0Zps

y4m-jAW_AjMperes6L9ZiCmgb-HGkyMPD8bGzBwI

Now I see I have a bit more sanding to do on the port wing at least, and then some filler required in a few spots. I suppose once that's all done, I can start my experiment per Mark's advice.

I bought these micromesh pads late last week to try out. Granted, these lights were never the crystal clear the Arma ones are, so I am keeping my expectations low. I've already said this, but I'm more excited about finishing Hurricanes from around the world than getting bogged down on the individual aspects of each model; but I am also still trying to learn how to be a better modeler (only re-started this whole thing a year ago!) so we'll give it a go and see what happens!

y4mBOS_5z9Y4LPl5UttE50cpOvt4M6zCX2PmbOFL

Meanwhile, because cutting/sanding gets tedious, I've also been working on USA's (Mk XII) upper.

y4mJQUGfuf3iZ3bAXPPYzKMUae2XSu8GCWZgn6Tz

I feel my selection for the camo (XF-73 as DSG and XF-77 as EDSG) isn't quite what I was going for--would have liked a darker, greyer feel, but I'm living with it.  Actually, I just found this so maybe I'm not so far off: 

Anyway, definitely not my finest brush work, but after a bit more touching up I do think it will be ok under some clear coats (I'm amazed at what gloss coat/decaling/gloss coat/weathering/matt coat/weathering/matt coat can do to make brush work not look awful!).

• Like 4

On 5/1/2021 at 9:44 PM, ModelingEdmontonian said:

I'm still aways away from starting Romania anyway, just trying to sort through my kits and figure out what will be what. Thanks as always!

The camouflage from no.14 as it appears on the RB Productions decal is probably a locally applied style. It is also present on some IAR-38/39 aircraft. The paints are probably those used on Romanian produced aircraft of that time (on IAR-80, JIS 79B etc.): Dark Earth and Dark Green uppersides with RAAF Sky Blue underside. The later is a harder colour to get. LifeColor has it in its range (UA515). For Hataka it is A293, but I haven`t tried it. The RB Productions instructions would have you paint the upper wings and horizontal stabilizers entirely Dark Green. My impression is that in the only known photo of this aircraft, the camouflage is present on the wings and stabilizers too. You can see a model of this machine here:

http://www.cartula.ro/forum/topic/13626-hurricane-uri-mk1-romanesti-la-72/page__view__findpost__p__203707

The photo is present in this book:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235031176-hawker-hurricane-voli-of-the-illustrated-history-of-romanian-aeronautics/

There might be a copy of it available online, but I can`t find it momentarily. The problem with it for you is that the crosses used on this machine are not the complicated type present on the other Romanian Hurricanes and the ones on the fusselage are smaller than the ones on the wings. They are present on the RB decal sheet, of course, but otherwise it might be more complicated to piece something together.

There are very few photos with the three ex Yugoslav machines in Romanian service. I haven`t seen one of no.13 up to now. The profiles of no.15 are probably based on this photo:

https://i.imgur.com/DlIZRB5.jpg

which I belive is the ex Yugoslav 2347. That shows the plane while still in occupied Yugoslavia and without a number. I haven`t seen a photo of it with crosses so far.

By the way, great project and congratulations for the Australian Hurricane! I`ve just seen it in the RfI section.

Edited by Fin
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

@2996 Victor provided some tips on clean up for nav/landing lights --you can see how cloudy mine are on Australia here--sanded such that they fit nicely enough, but then lost all the beautiful clarity they had originally.

Hi ME,

glad to have been of some help! I can't really take credit for the method, but, as Troy mentioned over on my Hurricane thread, there are lots of techniques that need to be propagated.

I think Australia looks absolutely brilliant. But IF you wanted at some point to buff up those light lenses, you might get a good result if you mask around the lights first, then use fine MicroMesh cloth the buff the transparencies.

With the landing lights, you could cut the cloth into a strip the same width as the lens, and use a fore-and-aft motion with the cloth across the lens.

Finish with @David H's toothpaste polish method, and perhaps if necessary use a coat of Klear or a gloss varnish.

1 hour ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

Only the Arma kits have nav lights (and I won't be adding them where they don't come with the kit), but most of the others have landing lights.

The Arma transparencies sprue is available separately, if you wanted to go down that route.

Meanwhile, Poland is looking great. Apologies if you know this little wrinkle. For small seams and misalignment steps, use Mr Dissolved Putty to fill/build up, then use a cotton bud dampened with Mr Thinner an wipe away the excess.

I gleaned this tip from one of our esteemed colleagues here on BM, alas, I forget who :( and then completely forgot it. Until one day I was busily sanding away some wing root detail when I remembered it and, presto! Revelation!

I've also been working on USA's (Mk XII) upper.

I think your choice of colours is excellent. As far as I'm aware, the Temperate Sea Scheme was quite prone to fading, so I'd say it's absolutely fine.

The brush work looks pretty good, BUT if you're not entirely happy with it, try a light polish with the fine MicroMesh cloth - I'm using that technique for brushed camouflage on my Tomahawk IIB build.

(I'm amazed at what gloss coat/decaling/gloss coat/weathering/matt coat/weathering/matt coat can do to make brush work not look awful!

Just a wee suggestion - Tamiya make both gloss and matt acrylic clear lacquer in rattle cans - might be worth considering for pre- and post-decal stages.

Anyway, enough of my blather! Crack on, dear sir!

Cheers,

Mark

10 minutes ago, Fin said:

The problem with it for you is that the crosses used on this machine are not the complicated type present on the other Romanian Hurricanes and the ones on the fusselage are smaller than the ones on the wings. They are present on the RB decal sheet, of course, but otherwise it might be more complicated to piece something together.

Thanks @Fin! Great information. I'm disappointed to hear this piece about the crosses :( These are all the decals I'm working with. I haven't measured or examined super closely, but clearly there are small variations between each of the sheets--is this what you're getting at it, or something else? Also on the middle sheet (Kits World), two of the crosses are smaller than the others. Anyway, not feeling like I really need to buy another decal sheet, so probably going to stick to what I can put together with all of these! When I look at the model of 14 the crosses look very close to these, but maybe I'm missing nuances!

y4mF0p3NrICawLhM_F9qtguHWwGFJpvZbZUVUHTEy4m_4VP8FvIWc_3IPSOQk07HXBUrs2ZNsU5FGhtxy4mlyWdRm_iOTJ0JP3nPQwEY2wNJ_Ye7JYdjvaT_

23 minutes ago, Fin said:

By the way, great project and congratulations for the Australian Hurricane! I`ve just seen it in the RfI section.

Thank you for the kind words! I am having so much fun with it and loving all the BM help I'm getting!

• Like 1

There are actually many nuances when it comes to the Romanian Michael (the king`s name - cross is formed from 4 letters M joined together) cross.

What I meant about the crosses here is that the ones on the Hurricanes were this complex type with many corners (the circle in the middle seats on a square):

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-iVtJt2697hU/VZuVJO-1qGI/AAAAAAAACgo/vWw4_7_udk4/s576/Hurrimichi.jpg

(this photo also appears to show that the Mickey emblem is the same colours as the cross - red-yellow-blue)

They are generally the exception (used mainly on Hurricanes and some Bf 109G).

While no.14 has a simpler type, as seen on most other Romanian aircraft. You can see this on the RB decal sheet:

https://www.ultracast.ca/RB-Productions-RB-D48022-Romanian-Hurricane-Mk-1-p/rb_d48022.htm

Upper row-complex type

Lower row-simpler type as is present on no.14. You don`t really have it on your sheets, unfortunatelly.

It`s for you to decide if this is a big deal or not. There`s also the option of doing no.13 which I don`t think anyone knows what it really looked like. :D

Edited by Fin
  • Like 1

Thanks as always, Mark! Lots to reply to here!

27 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

I think Australia looks absolutely brilliant. But IF you wanted at some point to buff up those light lenses, you might get a good result if you mask around the lights first, then use fine MicroMesh cloth the buff the transparencies.

Really determined to leave Australia be, but thanks for the advice :) I have 20 or so other 'canes to improve on... Plus I can compare the 20th to the first and maybe see improvement (let's hope!).

28 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

The Arma transparencies sprue is available separately, if you wanted to go down that route.

This did tempt me, and I may throw one or two in an order if (let's face it, when) I order from them. But, also not too worried, I said at the beginning these would mostly be OOB. :)

30 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Meanwhile, Poland is looking great. Apologies if you know this little wrinkle. For small seams and misalignment steps, use Mr Dissolved Putty to fill/build up, then use a cotton bud dampened with Mr Thinner an wipe away the excess.

I gleaned this tip from one of our esteemed colleagues here on BM, alas, I forget who :( and then completely forgot it. Until one day I was busily sanding away some wing root detail when I remembered it and, presto! Revelation!

Don't apologize! I still have SO MUCH to learn! Interestingly, as I chopped into the wing, it seems to have shifted a bit creating seams I thought were fixed. My only putty until yesterday was Tamiya Basic Type (https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/finishing/putty/); but my wife was complaining about it, so I picked another one up yesterday (below). She was right, too, I think basic type has it's uses (maybe larger gaps?), but it wasn't doing all we needed it to (and mostly it's tough to remove/sand off in certain spots). Not sure if this is similar to Mr. Dissolved? Apparently this cleans up with just water. Anyway, I intend to try it out on Poland and see how it works.

y4m-2jRCNQMeTL7krb6Ckr8l_6AU7q0uV-I7AEx4

44 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

I think your choice of colours is excellent. As far as I'm aware, the Temperate Sea Scheme was quite prone to fading, so I'd say it's absolutely fine.

Agree, feeling good about this now that I saw the photos! I think the Airfix instructions simply are showing it overly dark, but you can see why I wasn't happy initially when you compare them:

y4mv0NFDzJMrNr4VvGOGf0Yq2iwMo9-EQL8_XpNey4mJQUGfuf3iZ3bAXPPYzKMUae2XSu8GCWZgn6Tz

But compared to the photo not so bad at all (maybe EDSG could be a little "bluer" but we'll blame the Mediterranean sun):

y4mZ1UcxG4qWA2N01WQXE1aI2stfnJFvjLfkwDAw

36 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

The brush work looks pretty good, BUT if you're not entirely happy with it, try a light polish with the fine MicroMesh cloth - I'm using that technique for brushed camouflage on my Tomahawk IIB build.

You're too kind, because really the brush work is very bad--even I have done much better in the past! Sounds like I really need these cloths! I actually had a shoe polisher pad once that worked nicely for this so I get what you're going at, it just wore out/got dirty after awhile. I'll do a few more touch ups and decide what I want to do after that. Might just resolve to do better next time ;) 

38 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Just a wee suggestion - Tamiya make both gloss and matt acrylic clear lacquer in rattle cans - might be worth considering for pre- and post-decal stages.

I have the Vallejo rattle cans for this and love them! Got satin as well (that's what Australia got--then just brushed a little matt on the black step strips and anti-glare area).

Thanks for all the advice and comments, @2996 Victor. Really appreciated.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Fin said:

There are actually many nuances when it comes to the Romanian Michael (the king`s name - cross is formed from 4 letters M joined together) cross.

What I meant about the crosses here is that the ones on the Hurricanes were this complex type with many corners (the circle in the meadle seats on a square):

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-iVtJt2697hU/VZuVJO-1qGI/AAAAAAAACgo/vWw4_7_udk4/s576/Hurrimichi.jpg

(this photo also appears to show that the Mickey emblem is the same colours as the cross - red-yellow-blue)

They are generally the exception (used mainly on Hurricanes and some Bf 109G).

While no.14 has a simpler type, as seen on most other Romanian aircraft. You can see this on the RB decal sheet:

https://www.ultracast.ca/RB-Productions-RB-D48022-Romanian-Hurricane-Mk-1-p/rb_d48022.htm

Upper row-complex type

Lower row-simpler type as is present on no.14. You don`t really have it on your sheets, unfortunatelly.

It`s for you to decide if this is a big deal or not. There`s also the option of doing no.13 which I don`t think anyone knows what it really looked like. :D

I see! Thanks for pointing that out. And cool to know about the four Ms! I love knowing these little details about the models I'm building. 

Maybe 13 is a good idea ;) I'll mull it over. Could always go back to metal wings 1, 2, 3 or 4! (or maybe 13 AND 1, 2, or 4--so many options!) The Romanian markings are beautiful, especially with the yellow and Mickey and the fin stripping, so I'm excited to do this one. Actually I think it was wanting to do a Romanian Hurricane that first attracted me to this project! 

Anyway, once I start Romania please don't hesitate to provide any more useful comments, @Fin!

• Like 3

Well, this is nothing to write home about, but honestly I'm very happy with this clean up job. Here is Poland's starboard wing and cloudy landing light yesterday:

y4m-jAW_AjMperes6L9ZiCmgb-HGkyMPD8bGzBwI

And today after filling using my new putty and going at the landing light with the 6000, 8000, and 12000 micromesh pads I watched @2996 Victor use in his Hurricane WIP.

y4mYipxkJz169adu0MxKtLChDKfMbMSRF_TyWoWW

Ok, no awards for photography and perhaps experienced modelers will be unimpressed, but I'm quite pleased! I have 2 or 3 completed models that could have used this treatment! I think this is as far as I will go with Poland as I don't have any polish cloths yet.

Here is the before and after of the port wing;

y4mnhnaJkp5oqTrOcpi11kLxXe4tDHt-YRfX0Zpsy4m1JsucaPaQwmjL7yO9mPglS-4L_unUWQjwvsgM

Edited by ModelingEdmontonian
  • Like 3

Looking very good indeed, I'd say - you should be well chuffed!

How are you getting on with the Perfect Plastic Putty? I've got some as well, and I found it easy to use and giving a nice smooth finish when sanded. I did have issues with it crumbling back from edges where I was trying to feather it back into the kit's mouldings (the Tamiya Zero's wings), which was frustrating. Apparently it's a known thing. The other problem I hit was entirely because of my own gross stupidity: when I'd managed to get it feathered nicely, I then proceeded to wash/scrub the model under warm water with soap to de-grease prior to priming - needless to say I scrubbed the whole lot off and had to start again :rofl2:

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Looking very good indeed, I'd say - you should be well chuffed!

How are you getting on with the Perfect Plastic Putty? I've got some as well, and I found it easy to use and giving a nice smooth finish when sanded. I did have issues with it crumbling back from edges where I was trying to feather it back into the kit's mouldings (the Tamiya Zero's wings), which was frustrating. Apparently it's a known thing. The other problem I hit was entirely because of my own gross stupidity: when I'd managed to get it feathered nicely, I then proceeded to wash/scrub the model under warm water with soap to de-grease prior to priming - needless to say I scrubbed the whole lot off and had to start again :rofl2:

Cheers,

Mark

I'm pretty pleased with the putty so far, although it did take me a bit to learn how damp (not overly wet!) the cotton bud should be while removing excess. We'll see after paint goes over, but seems to have cleaned up the wing around the landing lights easier than the Tamiya basic would have.

• Like 1

USA (and some assorted props) received a gloss coat.

y4m6ili6ZYIxiIE5QLWRUWkLkhElCHbDC48mfP4D

y4mJpnLxHmXjLgy5XGyRzj6amoSh85-Z5DB4cyfJ

And then some decaling. Decals were actually some of the nicest I've worked with and mostly went on beautifully without my usual use of Microset. I will run over them with Microsol which should finish it up nicely. Those gun "holes" decals are obviously annoying and I did consider drilling them; but, while I am confident enough drilling a single hole, four in a perfect row intimidates me (why couldn't they just mold holes like the do on the other Hurricanes?).

y4mgUUt0MJi-mhIvXrj1EIjzjGVc8MigrUfhsKJH

Meanwhile, here are Argentina and Poland (and fin decals for USA--the RN fin decals were over sprayed for Operation Torch) ready for a spray from my dark green Tamiya rattle can:

y4mPSEE-mdYUuzWJopXlHT4vATI5_J7oeDYfl-5X

One coat:

y4m1PbIDv5m8EYA7IpaLm8o4swDdxwbqdg3AhytW

Two coat:

y4mQMzegQIV4rOb0EJwusMoAGzRWG1k9_3EWJl74

Looks like it will need one more coat from low angles, although tempted to not cover up the decals too much more because I'm liking the effect. I assume I will still be able to remove the decals from the sheet after painting--I've never tried this before! I intend to also use a decal for the aluminum panel on USA below the port fin. In retrospect I should have masked it off during camo painting, but decided I could just paint over. Sadly I've now lost the faint panel lines under my brush painting, so I intend to cut a decal using an unpainted Arma Mk I's panel as a guide, then paint aluminum and apply. I'm hoping that looks something like acceptable...

y4m9bxt1SqWAibaMD1cdU__Di8yOc48CN_WJxnG7

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

y4mPSEE-mdYUuzWJopXlHT4vATI5_J7oeDYfl-5X

y4mQMzegQIV4rOb0EJwusMoAGzRWG1k9_3EWJl74

y4m9bxt1SqWAibaMD1cdU__Di8yOc48CN_WJxnG7

Oh darn, I just realized the fin flash I selected to overpaint for USA is not correct for late-1942 (switch from equally wide stripes to narrow white occurred in July 1942)! So now what, more paint and cover it all up, or switch to the correct fin flash? Maybe more paint... looks pretty well covered in the photos!

• Like 1