I'm embarking on a project with the goal of representing a Hawker Hurricane in the markings of each Allied country that did not use more-or-less standard UK markings.

First stage of this goal will be to represent a Hurricane with markings from every continent. Probably as follows:

Africa: Egypt;

Asia: Iran;

Australia;

Europe: Yugoslavia Poland;

North America: USA (actually RN plane, but US markings in Operation Torch);

South America: Argentina. 

Second stage will be to complete the rest (mostly other European markings--e.g., Soviet Union, Belgium, Netherlands, Portugal, Turkey, Poland, Ireland).

I am excluding the UK, Canada, New Zealand, and even Norway (which seem to have only flown aircraft with RAF markings, but I would love to be corrected).

Third stage will be five Axis versions--Romania and Finland as actual operators of the type, plus captured versions from Germany, Italy, and Japan.

Along the way, I will be building most marks and many different kit brands, although I have no particular goals in this regard. I will post a photo of all my kits once I get them.

Since this is an ambitious goal given the pace at which I build models, they will almost all be OOB and there will be minimal weathering and other detailing. The point will be have fun and produce interesting Hurricanes!

Edited by ModelingEdmontonian
editing to reflect the project's expanded scope!
  • Like 13

12 minutes ago, RJP said:

Argentina?

Yes, they got a random Mk.IV post war.

ebPR8Nn.jpg

11 hours ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

Along the way, I will be building most types and many different kit brands, although I have no particular goals in this regard. I will post a photo of all my kits once I get them.

Hmm, I have nearly every  72nd Hurricane kits,    FWIW this is my recommendation

Mk.I fabric - Airfix

Mk.I - Arma Hobby

Mk.IIA/B/C - Arma Hobby

MkIID/IV/V. AZ Models.

Every other kit available has a varying amount of errors,  from awful to annoyingly hard to fix.....

North America: USA (actually RN plane, but US markings in Operation Torch);

There was a Canadian Hurricane marked as a German plane for a film, color images of this exist.

Africa: Egypt;

South African?  They had some used as trainers in an interesting scheme, with yellow bands.

It's my pet subject, so any questions.... ask away

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

Hmm, I have nearly every  72nd Hurricane kits,    FWIW this is my recommendation

Mk.I fabric - Airfix

Mk.I - Arma Hobby

Mk.IIA/B/C - Arma Hobby

MkIID/IV/V. AZ Models.

Every other kit available has a varying amount of errors,  from awful to annoyingly hard to fix.....

It's my pet subject, so any questions.... ask away

Thanks, Troy! I've already gleaned a thing or two from your posts around here!

I'm not worrying about the errors/accuracy issues, so won't attempt to do the correcting/modifications, although I have no doubt you could provide much guidance in that regard! I'm only back into the hobby fairly recently, so wanting to keep the actual modeling quite simple. Ultimately trying out different kits kind of appealed to me, so here is the list of kits I have obtained so far (mostly coming by mail):

1. Airfix Hawker Hurricane Mk.I | A01010A 
  2. Airfix Hawker Hurricane Mk.I | A55111
  3. Airfix Operation Torch 'The Sparks of Liberation' Club Limited Edition | No. A82014 (Hurricane XII)
  4. Arma Hurricane Mk I 70023
  5. Arma Hurricane Mk I Trop 70021 
  6. Arma Hurricane Mk IIc trop 70037
  7. AZ model Hawker Hurricane Mk.I early 7258
  8. AZ model Hawker Hurricane Mk.IID 7594
  9. AZ model Hawker Hurricane Mk.IV 7326 
  10. Fly Hawker Hurricane Mk. IIB 72044 
  11. Legato Hurricane Mk.IIc “Post War” 77216 
  12. Revell Hawker Hurricane Mk.IIC | No. 04144
  13. Smer Hi-Tech Hawker Hurricane Mk.II 0882

Likely round this out with a couple more of the Airfix Mk. I kits and possibly the Arma Mk I expert kit. Would really love to snag the Airfix A02082A kit with the Irish markings but no luck so far.

57 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

South African?  They had some used as trainers in an interesting scheme, with yellow bands.

I assumed South Africa Hurricanes just used the RAF markings so was avoiding them, but as I quickly research, looks like they maybe used orange rather than red in the markings, hence making them a little different. Any thoughts? Not that I'm looking to add more, I may have already bitten off more than I can chew...

Also, curious if you have any info on the Greek Hurricanes; the Hellenic Air Force website claims they used RHAF markings (blue and white) on the fuselage with RAF roundels on the wings, but all I see in the photos I've found are RAF markings.  If I can do a desert camo Hurricane with the Σ and Greek roundels I would love to--I see LM Decals offers the decals I would need. Might do it regardless, honestly, but would appreciate an expert's perspective!

• Like 1

Very interesting project!

Arma Hobby kits include several non-RAF marking options:

South African (indeed with orange inner circle of the roundel)

Mk.I trop in 70021 kit

spacer.png

...and Mk.II trop in the 70037 kit:

spacer.png

Australian Mk.I trop in 70021 kit:

spacer.png

There is also a Mk.I kit with Romanian and Finnish markings, but these nations hardly can be described as "allied" (they fought on the Eastern Front against the Soviets.

Many good Polish schemes are in almost all the Arma Hobby boxings (except trop, naval and that Romanian/Finnish).

• Like 9

On 3/16/2021 at 12:08 PM, GrzeM said:

here is also a Mk.I kit with Romanian and Finnish markings, but these nations hardly can be described as "allied" (they fought on the Eastern Front against the Soviets.

Many good Polish schemes are in almost all the Arma Hobby boxings (except trop, naval and that Romanian/Finnish).

It's a good point re: Romania and Finland, they will be grouped with the Axis. but they did end up "Allies," so for my purposes they'll stay in the category. I'm especially excited for the yellow-heavy Romanian scheme.

For Poland, I actually intend to do the one early Mk I that wore Polish markings (apparently), albeit never entered service.

On 3/16/2021 at 12:08 PM, GrzeM said:

South African (indeed with orange inner circle of the roundel)

I might have to add another one now... I like the orange! 

edited as plans for Romania and Finland changed
  • Like 3

Hi @ModelingEdmontonian,

you've taken on quite a task here, but a fascinating one! I'll pull up a seat and watch your progress, if I may?

I've got a couple of Arma Hurricanes underway at the moment, and some more in my stash. They're excellent kits although they need a bit of care in assembly.

Looking forward to seeing your progress!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:
  1. Airfix Hawker Hurricane Mk.I | A01010A 
  2. Airfix Hawker Hurricane Mk.I | A55111

same kit, A01010A has the parts for an early Hurricane,  2 blade prop and no strake/smaller rudder. 

needs 5 spoke wheels. 

1. Airfix Operation Torch 'The Sparks of Liberation' Club Limited Edition | No. A82014 (Hurricane XII)

Hideous. But, to be fair, based on a set of bad drawings from a respectable source, which it matches very well   The decals look good.

1. Arma Hurricane Mk I 70023
  2. Arma Hurricane Mk I Trop 70021 
  3. Arma Hurricane Mk IIc trop 70037

the IIC looks easier to build the Mk.I, the Mk.I can be a bit fiddly.   

1. AZ model Hawker Hurricane Mk.I early 7258

Sword kit reboxed AFAIK.  If it has an injection canopy, you need to file down the dog house, as it was tooled for a van canopy,.

1. AZ model Hawker Hurricane Mk.IID 7594
  2. AZ model Hawker Hurricane Mk.IV 7326 

same basic kit, gets the wing panels right for the Mk.IV,   one boxing has the Argentine decals.

1. Fly Hawker Hurricane Mk. IIB 72044 

Hasegawa kit reboxed.  Bad fabric. 

1. Legato Hurricane Mk.IIc “Post War” 77216

similar, but not the same kit as the AZ, bit rough, but IIRC the right shape and basically accurate.

1. Revell Hawker Hurricane Mk.IIC | No. 04144

Much debated as to faults, I suspect some if what is often quoted about it is wrong,  Weird triangular fabric pattern behind cockpit.

1. Smer Hi-Tech Hawker Hurricane Mk.II 0882

SMER is the Heller kit reboxed, to thin upper cowl, (very common on older kits) wing are too wide at the tips, the fuselage fabric is particularly well done though.  

Likely round this out with a couple more of the Airfix Mk. I kits and possibly the Arma Mk I expert kit. Would really love to snag the Airfix A02082A kit with the Irish markings but no luck so far.

The Irish markings are on AM decal sheets, and will be in spares boxes.   This is the 1978 kit, and is still basically decent, to thin upper nose, raised panel lines and a bit basic.  

Get to 100 post and ask for some. 

55 minutes ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

For Poland, I actually intend to do the one early Mk I that wore Polish markings (apparently), albeit never entered service.

Possibly delivered,  then sent back to UK, possibly never uncrated. has been discussed before.   Serial L2048, there have been decals for this though.   A search is not bringing up links though.

I'm especially excited for the yellow-heavy Romanian scheme.

the Germans  sold the Romanians 3 ex Yugoslav built Hurricanes, these were fabric winged, in Yugoslav 3 tone uppers,  and numbered 13,14,15, the British supplied ones were 1-12 BTW,

15 is on the cover of this

9788389450906.jpg

HTH

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Wow @Troy Smith! Quite the rundown, thanks!

I have the Polish decals already with this kit (AZ model Hawker Hurricane Mk.I early), and the Argentine ones as you point out in the other AZ kit. At this point I think it's only the Irish ones I'm missing. I bought the war birds sheet that includes many of them--Turkey, Finland, Iran, Netherlands, etc.

36 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

the IIC looks easier to build the Mk.I, the Mk.I can be a bit fiddly. 

Absolutely! The Mk.I cockpit assembly is a bit fiddly, but take your time and it's fine. The Mk.II cockpit assembly goes together more easily for the same effect.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

I bought the war birds sheet that includes many of them--Turkey, Finland, Iran, Netherlands, etc.

1074654-21164-66-pristine.jpg

Most look to be based on photos, one that isn't is the Netherlands  East Indies scheme, which is based on reports.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234974198-hurricane-iib-underside-colour/

I don't have the book mentioned, but since the source is ground crew,  it's seems reasonable that the orange  triangles were applied. 

Overall looks a decent sheet, but that's on a casual inspection.

There is a photo a fascinating Turkish Hurricane post war with 3 tone uppers,, 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/63039-hurricane-in-post-war-turkish-camo-3-colour-topside/

hurricaneturkishcamo.jpg

I did try to email a Turkish museum about colours,  with no response.    Maybe I should try again, it was a long time ago...

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

After a few parcels received over the last couple of weeks, phase one is underway!  These are the six kits I've started:

y4mXkM4Umlby2bcMQPH_qVnOlgYQGezkovub7sm6

These will be marked as follows:

1. Australia: Arma 70019 - Mk I/trop - Australia (decals from Arma 70021)
  2. Africa: Legato 77216 - Mk IIc/trop - Egypt
  3. Asia: Arma 70035 - Mk IIc/trop - Iran (decals from Warbirds)
  4. Europe: AZ 7258 - Mk I - Poland
  5. North America: Airfix 82014 - Mk XII - USA (actually Royal Navy plane, but US markings for Operation Torch)
  6. South America: AZ 7326 - Mk IV - Argentina 

Certainly noticing an enormous discrepancy already in terms of quality--those AZ/Legato kits are ROUGH.  The Arma kits are gorgeous, but honestly I think so far I'm enjoying the Airfix one most.  Although I have started the Arma "expert" kits, which include photo etch parts, I won't be using the photo etch in this phase, and will save them for later models (I have some of Arma's "junior" kits on the way).  I've never worked with photo etch so am putting it off. I've also never worked with resin, but the AZ kits have quite a few resin parts, so I'm learning that skill.  Lots of learning in this project.

I've done a little gluing and fitting, etc., and here are they all are drying after a bath.

y4mZrcYwkzcsLdPpZhwme58FrrHTZffFhRZSIpP9

• Like 10

Great start, ME! Don't mix 'em up, though ;)

I have to agree about the Arma Hurricanes, they're superb! Both of the ones I'm doing at the moment are "Expert", and honestly I'm not sure I'd bother again - the etch is a bit of a faff. I'd stick to using an aftermarket instrument panel (Yahu) and seatbelts in future.

I've not tried AZ's Hurricanes, but I'm now hoping their Mohawks are alright!

I've also got one of Airfix's Mk.Is in my stash that I'm looking forward to, so I'll be watching your progress there.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

After a few parcels received over the last couple of weeks, phase one is underway!  These are the six kits I've started:

y4mXkM4Umlby2bcMQPH_qVnOlgYQGezkovub7sm6

These will be marked as follows:

1. Australia: Arma 70019 - Mk I/trop - Australia (decals from Arma 70021)
  2. Africa: Legato 77216 - Mk IIc/trop - Egypt
  3. Asia: Arma 70035 - Mk IIc/trop - Iran (decals from Warbirds)
  4. Europe: AZ 7258 - Mk I - Poland
  5. North America: Airfix 82014 - Mk XII - USA (actually Royal Navy plane, but US markings for Operation Torch)
  6. South America: AZ 7326 - Mk IV - Argentina 

Certainly noticing an enormous discrepancy already in terms of quality--those AZ/Legato kits are ROUGH.  The Arma kits are gorgeous, but honestly I think so far I'm enjoying the Airfix one most.  Although I have started the Arma "expert" kits, which include photo etch parts, I won't be using the photo etch in this phase, and will save them for later models (I have some of Arma's "junior" kits on the way).  I've never worked with photo etch so am putting it off. I've also never worked with resin, but the AZ kits have quite a few resin parts, so I'm learning that skill.  Lots of learning in this project.

I've done a little gluing and fitting, etc., and here are they all are drying after a bath.

y4mZrcYwkzcsLdPpZhwme58FrrHTZffFhRZSIpP9

that's a lot of Hurricane....

• Like 3

9 hours ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

I think so far I'm enjoying the Airfix one most.

From what i can tell it's a decent KIT, as in is easy to assemble,  just shape wise it's terrible.  (try comparing to the Arma kit)

I note that you have added the UC legs already to what I presume is the Arma kit in top right?   You don't need too, they can be wiggled into place later, which makes construction a lot easier.

9 hours ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

I've never worked with photo etch so am putting it off.

it's fiddly, especially in 72nd.   

this is the Arma etch IP and seat straps

50395618356_8014d0b171_b.jpg50620170 by losethekibble, on Flickr

Built with closed canopies,  add seat straps, use a decal for the IP, you won't see anything else.

Tip - try test fitting a canopy early on, and seeing what is visible through it.  If you can't see the detail, then you can skip it ;) 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Great start, ME! Don't mix 'em up, though ;)

So far I am ok in terms of the mixing up, but as I progress and before the camo schemes are started that will prove challenging!

I have to agree about the Arma Hurricanes, they're superb! Both of the ones I'm doing at the moment are "Expert", and honestly I'm not sure I'd bother again - the etch is a bit of a faff. I'd stick to using an aftermarket instrument panel (Yahu) and seatbelts in future.

Part of my excitement around this project is to try the different kits out, so I don't regret getting the expert kits, but they don't seem worth the money to me. I will try using the PE because I am curious about it, and I am happy to have the masks, but I'm mostly not even using the Arma decals so really not getting my money's worth!

I've not tried AZ's Hurricanes, but I'm now hoping their Mohawks are alright!

No idea on the Mohawks, but for these 'canes the AZ plastic is soft, almost mushy in places, and there are no guiding pins, etc. But, again, I am getting exposure to lots of kits, and the AZ kits have interesting decals (Yugoslavia, Poland, Italy, Egypt, Argentina...) Also, look at this warning on the Mk IIc:

y4m_Zul9D3HoIflG2D9kFoEaqLPe_aUBTnUc_ysj

6 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

I've also got one of Airfix's Mk.Is in my stash that I'm looking forward to, so I'll be watching your progress there.

I have Airfix's Mk I too, the fabric wing version, but the one I have started is the Mk XII, just to be clear--I think it is quite different. Troy points out that the joy of well-fitted parts is marred by inaccuracy in design, which is too bad. I have heard good things about the Airfix Mk I, however.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

From what i can tell it's a decent KIT, as in is easy to assemble,  just shape wise it's terrible.  (try comparing to the Arma kit)

I note that you have added the UC legs already to what I presume is the Arma kit in top right?   You don't need too, they can be wiggled into place later, which makes construction a lot easier.

Too bad about that Airfix kit, although something tells me my commitment to accuracy is not where yours is, Troy, so I hope I don't disappoint you too much! You're right, my comment was regarding how nicely it fits together.

I was trying to figure out if I could avoid putting the UC legs in so early on the Arma Mk I, so good to know. That one is getting the late/post-war Australian all-metal finish, so should be lower risk in terms of chances to snap them off, but good to know for the future Arma Mk Is.

I do most of my painting with hairy sticks, but also use the Tamiya rattle cans.  Here they all are with a first coat of aluminum. 

y4mO_dP-cSveXV_Z6wmPmJb6wDoVqjhgUrZTg--V

• Like 5

Before I continue and make (more of) a mess of some of the little bits (e.g., landing gear, cockpit tubing), can I ask if there are any secrets to getting these parts off the sprue without mangling/cracking/bending them? I use a pair of sprue cutters which I find wonderful for most bits, but somehow I feel like it's a coin flip every time I get to the really delicate pieces. The Arma Mk I for example has fine cockpit tubing (which looks amazing), but ended up snapped and twisted and really not looking quite so good after it came off the sprue! Sorry for such a rookie question, but frankly these experiences are really detracting from my enjoyment of the hobby, so I would love to hear there's a secret out there I haven't learned yet!

• Like 1

can I ask if there are any secrets to getting these parts off the sprue without mangling/cracking/bending them? I use a pair of sprue cutters which I find wonderful for most bits, but somehow I feel like it's a coin flip every time I get to the really delicate pieces. The Arma Mk I for example has fine cockpit tubing (which looks amazing), but ended up snapped and twisted and really not looking quite so good after it came off the sprue! Sorry for such a rookie question, but frankly these experiences are really detracting from my enjoyment of the hobby, so I would love to hear there's a secret out there I haven't learned yet!

aim to reduce stress on the part.   Can be tricky, and really needs to be done on case by case basis.

Some ways

Cut out a section of the sprue round the part,  then trim down to the part,  as the cutters cause the part to bend/compress/stress.  Sometimes it works to chop the sprues right up,  leaving parts on the own bit, then trim with cutters, or shave of with a new blade, as this will reduce stress on the fine parts.

Use a new scalpel blade.

If really tight in, try a hot blade or wire,   bear in mind it could distort, so as far away as possible.   

2 hours ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

Too bad about that Airfix kit, although something tells me my commitment to accuracy is not where yours is, Troy, so I hope I don't disappoint you too much!

Indeed.  Poor research, as in using some neat looking plans from an authorative looking book,  and not looking at any photos....of which there are many in the book....   

I suspect they had the 2nd Hawker Hurricane book by F.K.Mason done in the mid 80's, (the first is from 1962)  which has a spread of plans with his name on them that look very detailed, but are basically wrong.   The kit matches these very well! 

It's also possible they just used the data that had been used to a diecast model done by Corgi  (the side access panels are really weird, like they are based on the prototype)

Anyway.... 

How did this happen?  Probably a set of Hawker General Arrangement drawings. 

Sadly the following was only published in Scale Models magazine in October 1980, when the A.L. Bentley plans were first published.   Which means this is not as widely known as it should be....

35568750533_bc6e7a6f46_b.jpgHurricaneBentleynotescrop_zpsc6a2675f by losethekibble, on Flickr

As for the kit, your model, your choice,  just providing information,  it's a public forum,  so maybe of use to other reading this as well.    

cheers

T

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

Part of my excitement around this project is to try the different kits out, so I don't regret getting the expert kits, but they don't seem worth the money to me. I will try using the PE because I am curious about it, and I am happy to have the masks, but I'm mostly not even using the Arma decals so really not getting my money's worth!

Hi ME,

Absolutely agree - the PE parts in the "Expert" kits can take a model to the next level, and they're definitely worth a try! Better modellers than I would be able to create a work of art using these parts, but I'm afraid that's not me! But if you'd like to waste an hour and see how I got on (mediocre, at best!), have a look at my Arma Hurricanes build.

The mask set is definitely worth it, though!

My next Hurricanes might well be a Belgian Mk.I and or a ML-KNIL Mk.IIB.

Looking forward to seeing your next instalment.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

Agree with Troy re cutting out - with small parts, cut out chunks of sprue, then cut the parts off the piece of sprue with sprue cutters (I have a Citadel set) leaving big chunks of gate, and then trim with a sharp scalpel. Care is the key!!! And even then bits snap - ask anyone who's built an Airfix Tomahawk or Mustang about the control column :D

• Like 2