1/35 Tamiya SD.KFZ 7/1 - non glued part question.

Jnunu

Hi. Can anyone who had built this kit give me some advice please? To enable the guns to move up and down, part F3 is not meant to be glued. However, once assembled and the adjoining rod added and attached using a heated screwdriver, there is nothing to stop F3 just falling out of the hole? There is not enough tension in the rod etc to keep it all together? 

Have I done something wrong? Have others come up with a non-glue alternative solution? Pic of relevant bit of instructions on link below. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/BSxwJrkbVNDiAY956

It is, I think, the way Tamiya and some other kit manufacturers do their instructions. The default is to stick everything. They indicate only the parts that you do NOT glue. In this case, F20 is marked 'do not glue', but F3 is not.  So you are supposed to stick pin F3 - very carefully - to the gun mounting, while leaving F20 free to pivot on it. 

Do use common sense though in interpreting the kit instructions - though you are right to check. It's always possible that they have made an error, even Tamiya (whose instructions are usually beautifully clear). 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Lothian man said:

It is, I think, the way Tamiya and some other kit manufacturers do their instructions. The default is to stick everything. They indicate only the parts that you do NOT glue. In this case, F20 is marked 'do not glue', but F3 is not.  So you are supposed to stick pin F3 - very carefully - to the gun mounting, while leaving F20 free to pivot on it. 

Do use common sense though in interpreting the kit instructions - though you are right to check. It's always possible that they have made an error, even Tamiya (whose instructions are usually beautifully clear). 

Ahhhhh! I see! Thanks so much (although feel a bit daft now - lol). 

j

• 3 weeks later...

This is just the kind of thing that I joined this forum for, we learn from each other. I recently had a bad experience whilst assembling a kit that was probably just a bit above my skill level but, if I had studied the instructions more closely instead of 'guessing ' how I thought things went together, the whole process would have been much more enjoyable, lesson leaned and very good advice given by the guys on here. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Watto said:

This is just the kind of thing that I joined this forum for, we learn from each other. I recently had a bad experience whilst assembling a kit that was probably just a bit above my skill level but, if I had studied the instructions more closely instead of 'guessing ' how I thought things went together, the whole process would have been much more enjoyable, lesson leaned and very good advice given by the guys on here. 

Definitely finding that slowing down & developing “patience” is the way forward- not only for a better model but also a more “mindful” experience (one of the main reasons I returned to the hobby - to do something slow,!). 👍

• Like 1