HMS Jason - Alarm class Torpedo Gunboat 1890's

• 1 year later...

I've only just stumbled across this, it looks superb. Having just finished my first scratch project (Servia) i'm now looking for next subject/victim - could i ask where you got the plans for Jason from ? I have a visit to the Greenwich archives scheduled for early May and i was planning on looking at the Acorn class and early Tribal class plans they have but i have to say these Victorian designs are really eye catching.

I've also realised that the limited toolset i currently have is not going to cut it going forward so have been looking at lathes/milling as an option but also, since space is limited at the moment, 3d printing/CAD. What software package did you use to design the guns ?

Finally just in case you missed it, they've just found the wreck of Jason

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/04/22/lost-sea-century-sunken-first-world-war-gunboat-finally-found/

• Like 1

On 22/04/2022 at 08:00, theskits62 said:

could i ask where you got the plans for Jason from ?

The plans were purchased from the Greenwich archive in the old days when they gave you actual full size photocopies of the originals.  These days its all electronic.  I have copies of all the plans, its a large bundle, each is over 6 feet long...  I dread to think what they would cost today..

The gun was drawn using 123D though others here use Fusion to great effect.  I also use TurboCAD for 2D drawing work which I find very useful

I knew they had found here, in fact a couple of the dive team have been in touch about getting copies of the drawings

22 hours ago, Dmitriy1967 said:

Even if it continues in a few years.

Dmitriy,

Thanks as ever.  I'm in a total quandary about the model as I have no where to display it when completed.  Indeed, I'm currently creating a dedicated room in the loft to help with the overspill of models I'm currently producing.  The problem is Jason is sooo large, the case alone would cost over £1000 as it needs to be armoured glass due to size. 

To give you some idea of what this will entail, this is a very bad picture of HMS Medea a WW1 M class destroyer I built 20 years ago (my grandfather served on her).  I had to build the book shelves specially to display the model in my study...  She has moved three times, each time where to display her is a key problem in the move  Jason is slightly larger.....

DSCN2536

I'd love to finish it but I'm not sure I can.  Still, never say never.....

Cheers

Steve

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Steve D said:

The plans were purchased from the Greenwich archive in the old days when they gave you actual full size photocopies of the originals.  These days its all electronic.  I have copies of all the plans, its a large bundle, each is over 6 feet long...  I dread to think what they would cost today..

The gun was drawn using 123D though others here use Fusion to great effect.  I also use TurboCAD for 2D drawing work which I find very useful

I knew they had found here, in fact a couple of the dive team have been in touch about getting copies of the drawings

Dmitriy,

Thanks as ever.  I'm in a total quandary about the model as I have no where to display it when completed.  Indeed, I'm currently creating a dedicated room in the loft to help with the overspill of models I'm currently producing.  The problem is Jason is sooo large, the case alone would cost over £1000 as it needs to be armoured glass due to size. 

To give you some idea of what this will entail, this is a very bad picture of HMS Medea a WW1 M class destroyer I built 20 years ago (my grandfather served on her).  I had to build the book shelves specially to display the model in my study...  She has moved three times, each time where to display her is a key problem in the move  Jason is slightly larger.....

DSCN2536

I'd love to finish it but I'm not sure I can.  Still, never say never.....

Cheers

Steve

I do hope you finish the Jason. The Medea also looks great, presumably you got those plans from Greenwich too ? If you still have the Medea plans and ever think about selling them please PM me.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...