How to make a yellow/gold tinted canopy

Doom3r

I have 1/48 Revell F-117 https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-85-5848-f-117a-nighthawk--159026 . Long time ago I've built similar one which was lost when I moved few years ago and I decided to build it again to fill the gap in crazy planes in unusual schemes. However what always bugged me about this kit is yellow canopy. My usual way of dealing with "golden" canopies is to dilute Tamiya XF-6 in Future and give a canopy few passes. After that I dilute X-19 and give it few passes. After that canopy looks like quite close to what I see in real F-22 or F-35. However I have no idea what would be a good way of dealing with yellow canopy included in the kit? Use some diluted silver paint then clear orange and smoke? How do you deal with such canopies?

What are you trying to achieve?  For those of us who don't use Tamiya paints, what are XF-6 and X-19?

There's a discussion of the F-117 canopy color here:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/120816-lockheed-f-117-canopy/

Looks as if it's a gold tint, so yellow may not be so far off?

Edited by Seawinder

2 hours ago, Seawinder said:

What are you trying to achieve?  For those of us who don't use Tamiya paints, what are XF-6 and X-19?

There's a discussion of the F-117 canopy color here:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/120816-lockheed-f-117-canopy/

Looks as if it's a gold tint, so yellow may not be so far off?

XF-6 is copper and X-19 is "smoke" (clear black tint). I am trying to achieve a color that is in between gold and copper with a sheen of metal flake that I can see in real life on EA-6B, F-22, F-35 and F-16 (judging not by photos but more from my encounters with these planes at the airshows). The yellow that is provided py Revell IMHO way off.

Hello guys,

I just finished the Tamiya 1/48 scale F-117A as aircraft #803 "Unexpected guest". The kit comes with a slightly tinted canopy; more brown than yellow.

In real aircraft the window panels were made of clear acrylic plates and then coated (The exact method is still classified). They look almost like "solid" golden surfaces when light hits the canopy at certain angles; one can't see through the window and into the cockpit in such conditions. Something that a modeller can't create (or it would be really challenging). I decided to use the kit's canopy as it is although it lacks that "look" and pay more attention to surface details and finishing.

Cheers,

Antti

1 hour ago, Antti_K said:

Hello guys,

I just finished the Tamiya 1/48 scale F-117A as aircraft #803 "Unexpected guest". The kit comes with a slightly tinted canopy; more brown than yellow.

In real aircraft the window panels were made of clear acrylic plates and then coated (The exact method is still classified). They look almost like "solid" golden surfaces when light hits the canopy at certain angles; one can't see through the window and into the cockpit in such conditions. Something that a modeller can't create (or it would be really challenging). I decided to use the kit's canopy as it is although it lacks that "look" and pay more attention to surface details and finishing.

Cheers,

Antti

Well. Revell one is bright yellow and when I built it long time ago this is what I did and it was bugging me every time I looked at the result so I am trying to figure out if there is a good way to get it more "realistic" look.

• Mike changed the title to How to make a yellow/gold tinted canopy
50 minutes ago, cmatthewbacon said:

For a canopy with slab sides like the F117, you can probably use real window tint film. Most places that sell it online will send small sample pieces which are easily enough to do a 1/24 car or 1/48 canopy with.

best,

M.

Hmm... I had a backup thought of making it out of clear sheets and then tinting that my usual way, however bit a bit hesitant on trying to scratchbuilding the canopy (my biggest worry is the way it spikes up in the front top.

I am still working on this subject. Actually I use in the matter of gold a clear yellow. If you try a short burst in fine diluted gold inside the glass, you may be successful. But try it on a spare part.

I use for all subjects Mr. Color C paints. Reducing the pressure to 1,5 bar. Please use spare parts, until you achieve a constant quality.

Happy modelling