Meng Merkava Questions

BringUpThePIAT

Afternoon all. 

Couple of questions. 

Does the Merk 4LIC equipped with the Droid APS, ever have Trophy fitted as well? I mean, are the two systems used at the same time or is it an either/or thing? 

And two, would the metal barrels available on Ebay for the Academy kit fit the Meng? I'm really not keen on a two piece plastic effort for this. 

Lastly, are the aftermarket chain/ball fittings worth it over the plastic ones in the box? 

Cheers guys,

CM

What Merkava kit do you have?

I may not be right but as I understand it, it would be either droid or trophy as they are somewhat similar but trophy is better.

For the barrel need to know what brand the ebay barrel is, but Magic Models MM35172 is for meng

After market ball and chain all the time.

20 hours ago, demiles said:

What Merkava kit do you have?

I may not be right but as I understand it, it would be either droid or trophy as they are somewhat similar but trophy is better.

For the barrel need to know what brand the ebay barrel is, but Magic Models MM35172 is for meng

After market ball and chain all the time.

Gday mate, 

Ive got the new Meng Merk 4LIC with the mine roller. Got it for EUR42.95 so excellent value i reckon. 

RE the APS, Trophy is "hard kill" but Droid is soft kill; it is a form of powerful laser blinder to confuse seeker heads on ATGMs. There is very little online about the droid system. 

So, I just looked your kit up and it comes with the droid, also noted it only has the commanders hatch therefore I stick with the droid, I recently got the 4M with trophy kit and really impressed, €35 and a bit

These links will provide a guide to the wiring of the droid:

http://www-legend.co.kr/portfolio/lf1337-idf-droid-atmd-set-iii/

http://www-legend.co.kr/portfolio/lf1336-idf-droid-atmd-set-ii/

http://www-legend.co.kr/portfolio/lf1329-idf-droid-atmd-set/

Barrel try to find the Magic Models one.

these systems as with most IDF stuff will remain a mystery.

Droid and Trophy are entirely different but complimentary systems.  Droid is a Directional Infra Red Countermeasure which causes a "soft kill" by dazzling and blinding the seeker heads on IR/laser homing missiles with a laser, causing them to break lock and veer off course.  It senses the targeting laser lock.  Trophy is a "hard kill" system which senses any form of incomimg missile using millimetric radar either side of the turret, or hull on Namer, and fires an unguided interceptor projectile from the launcher above the radar.  Droid only works against IR/laser homing whereas Trophy works against any form of missile.  So if you have Trophy fitted, Droid becomes redundant.  Trophy does not work against tank gun or artillery ballistic munitions: they are too small and too fast.

Trophy is now on Merkava and Namer and I imagine we will see it on other platforms.  Likewise I imagine that we will see Droid less and less.  In an ideal world you might have both to provide layered defence and save on Trophy munitions but Droid is a big old lump, needs to be mounted high and I imagine is quite vulnerable to small arms and fragments.

Edited by Das Abteilung
addition