1/43rd Dennis F8 Pump Tender

2 minutes ago, Mike Dean said:

the icing on the cake

Thank you Mike. Small details like that do make a model, and it’s why I find marine models so fascinating - yet don’t want to actually attempt one myself! 

The wipers were easy, just wire and thin strip, a soldering iron and a steady hand. The dimensions required were in the instructions. The hardest part for me was working out how to make a representation of the mirrors. It only needed to be impressionistic, roughly the right shapes and angles, but still needed some thinking. I am pleased with the way they turned out.

4 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

Thank you Mike. Small details like that do make a model, and it’s why I find marine models so fascinating - yet don’t want to actually attempt one myself! 

The wipers were easy, just wire and thin strip, a soldering iron and a steady hand. The dimensions required were in the instructions. The hardest part for me was working out how to make a representation of the mirrors. It only needed to be impressionistic, roughly the right shapes and angles, but still needed some thinking. I am pleased with the way they turned out.

Hi Heather,

Over the years, when talking abut how accurate my builds were I would either say they were a good approximation or that they gave a half way decent impression of the real thing, so I lke "impressionistic" - strikes a chord with me. Of course your"impressions" are a darned sight more accurate than mine so I raise my hat to you! Excellent build of a really good subject, and belated congrats on the nuptials.

Pete 

10 hours ago, PeterB said:

so I lke "impressionistic" - strikes a chord with me.

I know I do, but as modellers we often fall into the detail trap. Sometimes it pays to just step back and ask yourself "can anyone really see that?"

Meanwhile...

51093609074_24253b05c1_b.jpg

I've broken out the big rig.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, dnl42 said:

Brava! 

Excellent work!

*takes a bow*

15 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

Outrageous skills. I have to keep reminding myself that it's not 1:24th

Oh, wouldn't that be splendid? I'd definitely want one in 1/24th scale. 

14 hours ago, Bengalensis said:

That is looking very nice. Your detailing really adds to the finish. Well done, looking forward to more photos.

From a master such as yourself, praise indeed! 

13 minutes ago, TonyW said:

A magnificent looking machine. From the front grill to the pump bay, the thing is packed with detail and interest. Very well done indeed.

There are still missing details, but I am happy to leave them be.

Photos are at the chemists for processing. Should be back before teatime.

20 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

Small details like that do make a model, and it’s why I find marine models so fascinating - yet don’t want to actually attempt one myself!

Funny you should say that, as the Tender has a very nautical feel to it. It's built like a battleship, has plenty of shiny brightwork to polish, and even the headlamp surrounds look like painted brass portholes. The gallery pictures are excellent BTW. One area that I need to improve on, after all the effort of building a kit, is taking proper pictures to show off my hard work. I see the effort you have put in to make a properly lighted photo area, and that's what I need to be doing. Propped up in a cleared corner of a cluttered desk is just not cutting it!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JeroenS said:

Great result Heather, really really nice. 

Thank you. I’m really happy at how it turned out. It spent a good while on the Shelf of Doom and now it gets its time to shine in the display cabinet.

19 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

And congratulations on getting married too. You can call your outlaws your in-laws now...

Best Beloved has gained a new mum and dad and sister. Sadly, his parents are no longer with us and he is an only child. I have to say, after three decades of being together, our new status hasn’t really made a big difference - yet!

• Like 2

I'm so glad that you went against your early thoughts about the eligibility of this build and got it off the shelf of shame, It's been an absolute joy to see it coming along; like a restoration job in it's own right from the original photo of the mishap paint job

Just took a peek in the gallery to see the finished Dennis. Absolutely superb, and just as I remember them as a child at Woodside Fire Station in Addiscombe, Croydon!

Nice job indeed.

Terry

Just read through this after seeing the gallery entry... superb, loved the history both industrial and personal!. I've also been a fan of fire engines since I was a kid as we had a part-time fore station at the end of the road so when the siren went off we'd drop whatever we were doing and get on our bikes to race to the fire station just like the part-timers and wait for the engine to leave. Sometimes we were even able to follow it if it was a local shout!

I've built the Bandai 1:16 Dennis fire engine from 1914 which I built as part of the Made in Britian II GB back in 2017 and is currently taking its turn as my desk ornament in the office next to the PC screens

I also build the old 1:12 Christie Stem Fire Engine from Airfix/MPC back in 2014

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kallisti said:

Just read through this after seeing the gallery entry

Thank you!

I have another model that really needs to be finished. It’s 1/76th scale, but way beyond the 25% rule. It’s a whitemetal kit of a 1930s Leyland Metz turntable ladder. I forget why I stalled on it, but it’s well over 20 years ago. Be day, perhaps, I shall complete it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, John Masters said:

Why 1/43rd?  Is there a reason for this?  It's just a tad larger than O scale.

it is for O scale, but it’s spot on for British O Gauge. That’s 1/43rd, 7mm to 1 foot. :like: